hulika

Author Topic: some info...article na nabasa ko.  (Read 4833 times)

Offline kevlahnota

some info...article na nabasa ko.
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:34:28 PM »
enjoy reading....

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
nice. i can't wait to read the objections some people are going to post.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline MIG AYESA

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:05:18 PM »
That is one informative info u shared with us.

U know i've been thinking about that too. Not just on guitars and amps.

We were brainwashed into buying stuffs that are more expensive, whose qualities are only marginal than the average.

p.s. anong mag yan?

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »
its just one of em articles...nothing to be startled about naman...i was expecting na they also put some definitive references or research results  sa mga "myths" na na debunk nila...

other than, its rather an entertaining read.

Offline kevlahnota

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
@MIG AYESA
di ko alam kung anong mag, basta nabasa ko din ito sa internet then save ko sa hardrive. talagang mapapaisip ka sa mga nabili mong expensive stuff like cables and other accessories na kala mo da best pero it's the same thing as others na affordable.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 09:43:34 PM »
interesting yan ah :wink:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:55:33 AM »
yung sa tube myth i think theyre not talking about guitar amplifiers. kasi hanap nga natin ang distortion diba?  :D  tama ba?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
The article was meant as a bash against audio afficionados ("audiophiles" - not related to the music equipment store) who think getting the "latest and greatest" $9000 100% oxygen-free copper cables, "clairvoyant" power cords,   perfectly balanced belt-driven turntables, and $23,000 CD player offer the best in audio fidelity and will send them to sonic heaven. Some of the more strange offerings in the audiophile world can be found here. My personal favorite is the $495 Silver Rock Signature Knob which claims to absorb vibrations and make sound more "open and flowing"; for the love of God, it's just a fudgin' wooden knob!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »
What the?!? Do people actually buy these kinda crap?

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 02:25:20 PM »
Let's put it this way:

Say you're a really well-known audiophile who writes for audio magazines here and there. a package shows up on your door containing the latest "zero-oxygen" cable that's all the rage and you're being asked to write a review about it. you plug it in, set it all up but you can't hear the difference, but you can't just say that coz you'd be a bit scared about being called a quack by your fellow audiophiles, so you look up other reviews about the cable and base the review on what other people say about it. Review gets done, everyone's happy....NOT.

And on the the tube vs tranny debate, I'll stick with my G2. Try cramming a couple of Marshall and Boogie heads into a standard-issue belt bag and you'll see why.

:lol:
soylent green is people.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »
Quote from: KitC
The article was meant as a bash against audio afficionados ("audiophiles" - not related to the music equipment store) who think getting the "latest and greatest" $9000 100% oxygen-free copper cables, "clairvoyant" power cords,   perfectly balanced belt-driven turntables, and $23,000 CD player offer the best in audio fidelity and will send them to sonic heaven. Some of the more strange offerings in the audiophile world can be found here. My personal favorite is the $495 Silver Rock Signature Knob which claims to absorb vibrations and make sound more "open and flowing"; for the love of God, it's just a fudgin' wooden knob!
hahahaha...there ya go.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
Quote from: Machine_Head
What the?!? Do people actually buy these kinda crap?

Yup! They're called suckers.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
Sir Kit, Musta na ? Long time ah!! totoo bang ikaw si Mr.FHM? hehe

nabasa ko nga rin yung wooden knob thing which cost a lot of money..i think its a lot of bullocks.. surprising thing is, eventually me mga taong bumibili... we really live in a strange world!

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 07:18:51 PM »
It doesn't even take a high school graduate to know that the wooden knob is a joke.
But the manufacturer sure is smart. :lol:
He's onto some people's mentality that expensive always equals better.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn

nabasa ko nga rin yung wooden knob thing which cost a lot of money..i think its a lot of bullocks.. surprising thing is, eventually me mga taong bumibili... we really live in a strange world!

napunta lang sa isang FHM party, Mr. FHM na. (waiting for the summer party invite...hehe)

agree on the wooden knob et al, it's mostly snake oil. funny thing is, you read one of their mags and they have 'scientific' proof. it piques the engineer in me kasi some of the theories look valid except for the ones obviously intended to separate a fool from his money. it's mostly a placebo effect - reminds me of the difference between a honda and toyota here vs. in the US.  over here, we treat the honda like it was royalty while in the US, they're practically equals. of course it's called marketing, but too many foolish peeps bite into the hype.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 08:06:15 PM »
Quote from: KitC
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn

napunta lang sa isang FHM party, Mr. FHM na. (waiting for the summer party invite...hehe)

COOLIO!! send naman ng pics dyan! dont tell me wala, chikka! hehe

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
audiophile stuff is ridiculous but I will admit that a lot of things out there do work, its just that, the sillier things they market draws on a lot of "sucker" power. i mean, you do have to be practical and, in the end, trust your ears. as much as I love line 6 stuff, there is a certain sterility to its tone if you, say, put up a Line 6 delay modeler against a Roland Space Echo or even the newer Fulltone Echo delay units. it depends what you like, how much you are willing to pay for it, and to what degree the marketed product teeters on being just plain dumb.

damn...a 23,000 dollar TT? I listened to some audiophile tables in the past and I really couldn't tell the difference between them and my trusty old DJ workhorse, the Technics MK2 1200.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
Gorgeous article. Uy ! Me kilala pala akong nasa Lie # 10 ! Anyway, I do subscribe to all, if not most of those.

As guitarists though, we're a breed apart from hi-fi audiophiles. Our preferences lie in the weaknesses and nostalgic preferences (like the 60's 70's or 80's sound with the technology available at the time). Why...some guitarists are still looking for germanium transistors for their fuzzfaces...those outdated pieces of semiconductor junk and pay a premium for those.

I'm quite certain...tube amps will never approach the distortion figures of high-end solid state. It's inherent. Just the necessity of having an output transformer automatically introduces non-linearities in the response curve and distortion in the waveform. But again, we guitarists are a breed apart...we love tube amps for their defects rather than for their merits. What other kind of audio enthusiast would actually WANT distortion in their equipment ? :D

But hey...don't take my word for it. After all, I'm an engineer and can't afford to be totally honest (NYAHAHAHAHA)
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633