hulika

Author Topic: neoPINOY SOUL? (Up dharma, Sino Sikat, Chillitees, Out of the body special,etc.)  (Read 5933 times)

Offline otistikako

Why all of a sudden these bands with soul sensibilities and languid rhythms are conquering the music scene? I'm just puzzled. But i like it alot. Especially those fusion-elements they had with their music, and how they dang their thing worth digging by music enthusiasts whether they're into rock, jazz and ofcourse RNB/Soul/hiphop.

All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline tagarits

• Netizen Level
hindi ko sila gusto lalo na Up dharma ek ek,,

peace :-D

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Why be puzzled? Just lie back, relax, and chill out.

It's always good to have diversity. Personally I like the grooves and fat chords in this semi-genre, though I don't really think it's anything new - you can find similar sounds in 70's R&B ... Donnie Hathaway, Stevie Wonder in his early 20's, and prototypical early 70's jazz fusion on the Blue Note Records label.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline otistikako

Why be puzzled? Just lie back, relax, and chill out.

It's always good to have diversity. Personally I like the grooves and fat chords in this semi-genre, though I don't really think it's anything new - you can find similar sounds in 70's R&B ... Donnie Hathaway, Stevie Wonder in his early 20's, and prototypical early 70's jazz fusion on the Blue Note Records label.

Puzzled because it's all so sudden.  :mrgreen:
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Is there a band with the name Drip?
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline drumfreak

Is there a band with the name Drip?
meron sir..
im screaming, im shouting...

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I think they also qualify sa genre sa thread na ito.  :-)

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline otistikako

Maybe Drip. but most of their songs are triphop, drum n bass-tinged.
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
yeah! speaking of the out of body special, i love their music (and their bassist) but cant find their music anywhere! help?  :-)
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
astig up dhama down..bait pa ni armie..its just..just..ahmm...un. :roll:

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
I find the music of these groups fresh.... I remembering soundchecking at Magnet months ago and I recall being mesmerized by these bands' original material.  Of course I knew they were local (Tagalog yung lyrics e....) but their sound was a little different. 

Ended up being fans of Updharma & Chillitees.

BTW, bea_rox, I don't know kung available na ang album nila.  They've been planning to release one I know.  I also remember hearing their very first demo and I was quite impressed by them also. Will try to snoop around.

Offline otistikako

yeah! speaking of the out of body special, i love their music (and their bassist) but cant find their music anywhere! help?  :-)
I think they're currently squeezing new materials for a possible 2k7 release. They're under indie label/recording studio, tower of doom together with artists like Plane Divides the Sky and COG - both of which released a well-received album last year.
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline otistikako

I find the music of these groups fresh.... I remembering soundchecking at Magnet months ago and I recall being mesmerized by these bands' original material.  Of course I knew they were local (Tagalog yung lyrics e....) but their sound was a little different. 

BTW, bea_rox, I don't know kung available na ang album nila.  They've been planning to release one I know.  I also remember hearing their very first demo and I was quite impressed by them also. Will try to snoop around.
Same here. Lalo na ngayon mas maraming magsusulputang albums na ganun ang tunog like Nyko Maca, Pinoy Soul and Cosmic Love.
All these accidents,
That happen,

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator

Same here. Lalo na ngayon mas maraming magsusulputang albums na ganun ang tunog like Nyko Maca, Pinoy Soul and Cosmic Love.

di ko pa nadidinig ung tugtugan ng cosmic love..i know their drummer..a good ol' friend..Ü

Offline Tasty

• Philmusicus Addictus
I don't like the songs of Chilitees. They're too monotonous for me. Well, it's that or I just haven't trained my ears enough to appreciate their music.

But Up Dharma Down is teh smex. :-D
Change the way you gig with innovative gear upgrades from gigkitty!

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
Michiko, magaling din ang Cosmic Love.  Had the pleasure of hearing their demo also and they're good.  Di ko alam kung released na ito.

Theu have a rapper/percussionist and he was a former student of mine.  I remember watching a mainstream jazz performance at Magnet when all of a sudden this guy goes up on stage and starts freestyle rapping to TAKE THE A TRAIN!  It was definitely an experience and added a fresh new dimension to an otherwise uverplayed standard.

Offline bea_rox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Michiko, magaling din ang Cosmic Love.  Had the pleasure of hearing their demo also and they're good.  Di ko alam kung released na ito.

Theu have a rapper/percussionist and he was a former student of mine.  I remember watching a mainstream jazz performance at Magnet when all of a sudden this guy goes up on stage and starts freestyle rapping to TAKE THE A TRAIN!  It was definitely an experience and added a fresh new dimension to an otherwise uverplayed standard.
hmm cosmic love? theres a foreign band named cosmic love...
Med student. Bassist. Jazz fan.

View my youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/beabass

Offline polar

How about the band SOUND(bossa manila/ blue monsoon)?
Do you think they fall in this category?

Trip ko music nila sa latest album. :-D

http://sound.ph/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:58:35 PM by polar »
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline xiver

ung SOUND po ba un ba ung kumnta nung *nklimtan ko title* ung sa apo album tribute? or ibang band un?

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
ung SOUND po ba un ba ung kumnta nung *nklimtan ko title* ung sa apo album tribute? or ibang band un?

Opo, kinanta din po yun ni Gary V.  :-)

Offline polar

"Di na natuto" title nun. :-)
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
chismaks to sinabi lang sakin. i dunno if its true so id like to hear a confirmation from someone who knows the truth..

39 years old na ba talaga vox ng up dharma?
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com