hulika

Author Topic: Kublai's  (Read 9712 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 08:14:19 AM »
Quote from: jazhombie
sir ano po b usually ang piece for jamming here, never p po ako nkatry makijam sa ture jazz improvisers

Well last time I was there they did "Smoke on the Water" hehehe :-)

Then there's always the walang kamatayang jam tune "The Chicken"... (but with the correct chords this time!!!).  "All Blues" (Miles Davis) is also a common jam tune. Ano pa - "Autumn Leaves"... bebop tunes like "Dexterity", "Donna Lee", etc. There's usually a big book of pieces with the standards to choose from.

Offline gyrus

Kublai's
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 12:11:13 PM »
tutugtog ba sila on sept 21? pwede ba maki-jam? i can bring my bass. :wink:
Ako ay Pilipino!

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 02:41:23 AM »
Most definitely! Bakit two weeks pa? Anyway, basta Thursday. Bring it on, guys. Jam na!

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
Susmaryosep Thursday na naman, ang bilis talaga ng araw! Aba, dumarami na ang mga banda sa Kublai a! Daming productions. Speaking of which, I'd like to thank all who came to Bluebeck Concert last Saturday. Grabe ang lakas ng ulan but still we were packed. Di ko ito ine-expect. We started really late, after 10 PM na! There were several bands and we finished almost 2 PM. Sulit naman sila, imagine P200 lang ang tickets with 2 beers na. Hope pumunta uli kayo sa next concert. Pero going back to our jazz gig, tonight po uli!

Offline gyrus

Kublai's
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »
1st-profile: you have pm
Ako ay Pilipino!

Offline musikanitwist

• Veteran Member
Jazz sa Kublai's
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »
'till when is this run?
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them.
Louis Armstrong
 http://akibanda.multiply.com  MSG RJUR PATAK BY ABS COMBO to 2959

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 01:30:14 AM »
this will run until i say it's done.  :roll:
so thursdays.... get your jazz gears and kick ass! (oops, am i allowed to say that?)  :oops:

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 10:04:33 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Quote from: 1st-profile
if i provide a cdr, would i get a copy of purim's?  :roll:

I had that on Vinyl years ago - I'll look for an mp3 copy online. It's an Alphonso Johnson (bass) composition I believe, so your bassist's thumbs will get a real work out. Very aggressive brazillian funk-jazz (well by nature of the players on the original session). I've heard a few good covers of this tune over the years. I think if Sitti tried that she'd faint, haha.

Woah! She's gotta try that! E-hehehe! Sitti fainting? E-hehehehe! It's gonna be for the books! A-hahahahaha!  :twisted:
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Kublai's
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 10:08:10 AM »
@pinoymusika

Sir, did Flora Purim play with Stanley Clarke? I only know one song by Flora, "Angel". I'd like to hear more of her music.

Thanks, sir.  :D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Kublai's
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 10:41:05 AM »
I also have heard FLora Purim's Bridges (Travessia). I don't know if it's the original Bridges.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Kublai's
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »
As far as I know, Flora Purim's version of 'Bridges' is the original.

Kevin Lettau came out with her Travessia version (with the Portuguese lyrics) much, much later
"No static at all ..."

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 12:40:23 AM »
Kublai gig tonight, Thursday, is cancelled because of storm Milenyo! Next week na lang guys! FYI...  :(

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »
Kublai Thursday na naman uli - this is a recording!  :D

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 02:09:33 AM »
Need I say it? Kublai's Thursdays, there. (And oh, fyi, The Jazz Visitors will also be playing Fridays at the new place in Roces Avenue called Peppermill. Check it out. The JV will have its original members - pianist Ben Casquejo and bassist Boy Hernan. Standard jazz.)
Anyway, this is a Kublai thread so please patronize the place. I see there are many concerts being held there now (although most of the genres are alternative and rock). Its continued success is what I hope for - and may I add, long live jazz.

Offline jazhombie

Kublai's
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 11:28:25 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Quote from: jazhombie
sir ano po b usually ang piece for jamming here, never p po ako nkatry makijam sa ture jazz improvisers

Well last time I was there they did "Smoke on the Water" hehehe :-)

Then there's always the walang kamatayang jam tune "The Chicken"... (but with the correct chords this time!!!).  "All Blues" (Miles Davis) is also a common jam tune. Ano pa - "Autumn Leaves"... bebop tunes like "Dexterity", "Donna Lee", etc. There's usually a big book of pieces with the standards to choose from.
wow, true chords ng the chicken,hehe, the last tym n jam ntin sir prang naging fried chicken! niwey i hope anton can jam as well, he'll fit in this kind of jam! bka mnginig ako, tkot me sa mga purists kasi! :lol:  :(

Offline 1st-profile

Kublai's
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 08:50:23 PM »
We don't have a gig at Kublai's this Thursday and management said they will have a meeting whether to continue jazz. Sad 'no. Most of the bands there kasi mga alternative. Anyway, if they decide to cancel us, that's ok. Actually, may pa-concert pa nga kami sa Kublai on Halloween, sana manood po kayo. Unwind, have fun, relax, dance til you drop. (Relax daw, o...) Basta enjoy. Life is short...smile always!

Offline 1st-profile

Re: Kublai's
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 02:26:10 AM »
No more Kublai's for The Jazz Visitors but just one more time...we have a concert at Kublai's on Halloween, October 31, 2006, dinner tickets cost P500 (buffet with 1 drink) and regular tickets P200 with 2 drinks. Sorry, though, it's not jazz, it's 2 showbands (Music Life and Live Life) and Peace Armada plus surprise guests. Thanks!  :mrgreen: