hulika

Author Topic: Virgil Donati, for Drummer Hall of Fame. Your point of view.  (Read 4960 times)

Offline gelo

Virgil Donati, for Drummer Hall of Fame. Your point of view.
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:53:12 AM »
I've never seen a drummer as good, as enduring, as great as Virgil Donati. He's the best drummer for me. If you've seen his videos from his website VirgilDonati.com, you then would agree with me.

The people who he worked with all say the same thing..they haven't seen a drummer like him.

Let me know your thought on this....Virgil Donati..idol!!!
Guitars: Ibanez RG7321| Oscar S. Acoustic
Efx: Sanrling Dogs Wah| Behringer GDI21|Zoom505II
Amp: Laney LX12

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Virgil Donati, for Drummer Hall of Fame. Your point of v
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »
Quote from: gelo
I've never seen a drummer as good, as enduring, as great as Virgil Donati. He's the best drummer for me. If you've seen his videos from his website VirgilDonati.com, you then would agree with me.

The people who he worked with all say the same thing..they haven't seen a drummer like him.

Let me know your thought on this....Virgil Donati..idol!!!

idol na idol ko din yan!!! pero hindi ko pwede sabihing hes the best drummer 4 me. marami pa.
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »
Wag muna!. Mashadong Bata to be hall of Famer.....
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
the first time i saw donati on video, my jaw just dropped. he was doing a clinic with his back against the crowd dishing out machine-precise double bass at 200bpm. his feet looked like pistons from an engine. amazing technique coupled with his weird sense of polyrhytmns makes him a drum god.

yeah donati deserves to be in the hall of fame...

but...

wait...

i cant understand why he would choose to do complex time signatures and just do a groove even for a few bars once in a while. he's amazing and im sure he can groove like hell. blame the genre he plays maybe? too prog for prog rock? because he can?

aside from the videos, i downloaded mp3s of his stuff with vai and planet x to really listen to what he does. man i was disappointed because he plays too technical, odd time here odd time there and his fills are soooo rudimentary. i dont mean rudimentary basic but he uses rudiments a lot and it doesnt sound emotional or do i dare say musical. *ducks*

well, who am i to say this? nobody really, just check out other drummers out there and you'll see that there's more to playing than impressive technique or doing humanly impossible licks. take marco minnemann he's as technical as donati but i prefer to listen to his music, weird as it is but there is similarity to free form jazz just in free form electronica. grant collins who's like bozzio. check out the older guys like bill bruford and phil collins too in their early prog rock years (70's) you'll be blown away. those two didnt even have kits like virgil's, marco's or grant's that includes multiple pedals and ambidextrous playing.

these are all my personal opinions, i guess i realized that i prefer musical drummers more than technical dudes. donati is impressive on video but if you just close your eyes and just listen, hear him intently, the music he plays is so out of this world. honestly, it doesnt do for me IMO, doesnt even belong to the band.

let the flaming begin! my remarks are not about who's faster and who can do 12313/4 beats...its all about musical vs. technical drumming. still a fan of virgil for his drumming ability which we all aspire to be someday, i just dont like his musical approach.

i digress to the hall of fame

*wala na naman ako gagawin dito sa office ngayon kaya ganado sumulat ng mahabang essay, pagpasensyahan nyo na

Offline toybitz

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
he is technically inspiring...

but I find his musicality...not as impressive.

if you listen to Planet X, Steve Vai, Reign of Fire, CAB...etc...pare pareho nalang yun ginagawa niya.

so as a hall of famer, I think he has a lot to prove considering he is a session pro...he'll have to go through Simon Phillips, JR Robinson, Abe Laboriel Jr., Steve Ferrone, or a peer in his style....Mike Mangini who in my opionion is just as technical but excels more on musicality...
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 12:24:19 PM »
I took some photos of Donati's kit during his clinic - here's the setup:

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »
d na bata c donati 50+ na cya

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »
Virgil Donati in the Hall Of Fame?  Why not?

Age doesn't matter in order to be a Hall Of Famer.  Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy were inducted to the Modern Drummer Hall Of Fame in their 30's.

The most important thing is that the drummer has contributed something significant to the drumming world.

With his technical facility, limb-breaking footwork & complex drumming concepts which are essentially uncharted territory, I believe Virgil is worthy of the recognition.  Though I agree with the musicality issue, because I greatly appreciate drummers who play for the music and has a great sense of feel and groove.  Para sa akin, di rin ganon ka-groovy and kasarap ang playing ni Virgil.  But let's face it, he has created and contributed so many drumming innovations.  His technique alone is enough to place him up there, worthy of iconic drumgod status.

I also wish for a number of legendary drummers to make it to MD's Hall Of Fame...  David Garibaldi, Gregg Bissonette, Rod Morgenstein, Ginger Baker, Bernard Purdie, Peter Erskine, Mitch Mitchell, Phil Collins, James Brown's drummers...  Ang daming magagaling, importante, at noteworthy drummers!

8)

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »
weird kasi yang taong yan kaya ganyan kagaling. biruin mo hanggang ngayon walang asawa at anak. puro drums lang inaatupag.
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline meinldrummer

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
Yeah men... marami pa magaling na drummers na sana marecognize ng MD before silang mamaalam sa mundo. Si Jeff Porcaro kse na recognize lang pagkamatay niya. Sana merecognize din kaagad yun mga deserving para maenjoy nila yun recognition of their peers while they are still around.
En Masse Sounds and Lights. For musicians by musicians...

Offline vdonati_fan

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Virgil Donati, for Drummer Hall of Fame. Your point of view.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »
buhayin ko lang yung thread na ito ng idol ko...

i agree with what s' Dio and toybuits said about his musicality. ndi sya ganung ka-catchy, maybe because i'm not that technical.

but in terms of innovation in the drumming world, hands down. very innovative talaga sya.

meron ding mga dapat na masama sa Hall of Fame, andun na ba si Jeff Porcaro(RIP)?
"Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:35:11 PM »
For the sake of everybody's added info and knowledge, here's the list of Modern Drummer Magazine's Hall Of Fame Inductees.

1979:  Gene Krupa
1980:  Buddy Rich
1981:  John Bonham
1982:  Keith Moon
1983:  Neil Peart
1984:  Steve Gadd
1985:  Louie Bellson
1986:  Tony Williams
1987:  Billy Cobham
1988:  Joe Morello
1989:  Carl Palmer
1990:  Bill Bruford
1991:  Art Blakey
1992:  Max Roach
1993:  Jeff Porcaro
1994:  Larrie Londin
1995:  Elvin Jones
1996:  Vinnie Colaiuta
1997:  Terry Bozzio
1998:  Ringo Starr
1999:  Roy Haynes
2000:  Dave Weckl
2001:  Dennis Chambers
2002:  Steve Smith
2003:  Simon Phillips
2004:  Mike Portnoy
2005:  Stewart Copeland
2006:  Charlie Watts
2007:  Jack DeJohnette

:mrgreen:

Offline wipeout

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
weird kasi yang taong yan kaya ganyan kagaling. biruin mo hanggang ngayon walang asawa at anak. puro drums lang inaatupag.

oo nga sayang, kung nagka asawa at anak yan, may magmamana ng talent nya or possibly the next virgil donati but at a different level! :mrgreen:

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:47:50 PM »
Informative list drumster! :lol:

I would agree that Donati does deserve to be up there with the legends. He has proven his dedication towards the drumming industry.

On drumster's list of should be Hall of Fame I would have to support my personal favorite Pretty Purdie!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:10:44 PM by Akira JUMBO »
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 12:59:10 PM »
nauna si Krupa kay Rich..ngayon ko lang nadiscover yun ah  :lol:

nay for Donati, same reason as Peeves (tinatamad nako magtype!) para lang sila maglalagay ng nerd sa hall of fame, hindi artist..gets niyo ko?
but hey...idol ko pa din si Donati!!

mas pipiiliin ko pa si Jimbo! teka bat wala pa si Akira Jimbo sa Hall of Fame?
(ayaw nila ng asian!  :lol: j/k  :-P )

Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline toymach2000

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »

Hahaha! this post makes me laugh :-D

yup! tama ka bro...ano kaya ang inspiration nya...

Baka gusto nya talaga maging Hall of Famer. :-D

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 04:15:39 PM »
yup! tama ka bro...ano kaya ang inspiration nya...

Here's an excerpt from a Modern Drummer interview, from the Virgil Donati & Simon Phillips "From Space Boogie To Planet X" feature, March 2002 issue...

MD"Virgil, what is it that drives you to push your talents to the amazing heights that you've achieved?"

Virgil"That's a question that has several different answers to it.  There's a philosophical side to it, genetic side, and a personal side.  I think that all of these aspects coexist in the answer.  The genetic side is that some people are more driven than others and have the need to push themselves as hard as possible and see things all the way through.

I get asked a lot on clinics about how I stay motivated, if I ever get into a rut, and if I get sick of practicing.  The honest answer is that it's hard, and it takes a lot of effort, but I never really get sick of it.  I've always had a burning desire to sound better and play better.  I never feel comfortable with where I am as a player.  I always feel that there's something to uncover.  Then all of a sudden it's been thirty years and you realize that, as time goes by, that way of working has become part of your makeup, and you don't know any other way.  You have to keep at it.  I've realized that the energy is given to you and if you really want it bad enough you'll get it.

I do think a lot of it comes down to your personality.  Some people don't have the same ambition or drive.  Some people are happy to play club gigs, have a family, and have other things to consider, and they get satisfaction out of those things.  That's really what it's all about.  Simon (Phillips) and I had to leave our homelands and move to America to try to get to the next level."

How Virgil answered the question, I guess that says a lot about his motivation.  :-)

mas pipiiliin ko pa si Jimbo! teka bat wala pa si Akira Jimbo sa Hall of Fame?
(ayaw nila ng asian!  :lol: j/k  :-P )

FYI...  Modern Drummer conducts their Readers' Poll annually, where in MD readers can vote for drummers who made their marks in the past year.  Readers can vote either online, or through a ballot included on MD issues.  The polls are often held at the beginning of the year til mid-March.  Results are revealed on every July issue.

"The MD Readers Poll lets you express your opinions about the drummers, percussionists, authors, and educators whose efforts have been particularly outstanding in the past year"

There are several categories, which includes the most revered Hall Of Fame.  "Hall Of Fame:  Vote for the artist, living or dead, who you feel has made a historic contribution to the art of drumming."

It began in 1979, and every year, a significant drummer is inducted into the Hall Of Fame.  And there are so so many deserving drummers, including Akira Jimbo.  The fate of all potential MD Hall Of Famers depend on the MD Readers!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:39:29 PM by drumster »

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 08:12:42 PM »
he is technically inspiring...

but I find his musicality...not as impressive.

if you listen to Planet X, Steve Vai, Reign of Fire, CAB...etc...pare pareho nalang yun ginagawa niya.

so as a hall of famer, I think he has a lot to prove considering he is a session pro...he'll have to go through Simon Phillips, JR Robinson, Abe Laboriel Jr., Steve Ferrone, or a peer in his style....Mike Mangini who in my opionion is just as technical but excels more on musicality...

Ring of Fire po. hehe...

oh wait.. parang wala pa atang nakarinig sa OTV SYI, tsaka yung Made in Australia? impressive si donati sa OTV SYI...

epecially his solo album STRETCH, dyan sumikat si donati.

and also with scott henderson.

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 04:09:02 PM »
FYI...  Modern Drummer conducts their Readers' Poll annually, where in MD readers can vote for drummers who made their marks in the past year.  Readers can vote either online, or through a ballot included on MD issues.  The polls are often held at the beginning of the year til mid-March.  Results are revealed on every July issue.

"The MD Readers Poll lets you express your opinions about the drummers, percussionists, authors, and educators whose efforts have been particularly outstanding in the past year"

There are several categories, which includes the most revered Hall Of Fame.  "Hall Of Fame:  Vote for the artist, living or dead, who you feel has made a historic contribution to the art of drumming."

It began in 1979, and every year, a significant drummer is inducted into the Hall Of Fame.  And there are so so many deserving drummers, including Akira Jimbo.  The fate of all potential MD Hall Of Famers depend on the MD Readers!

i tried voting him last year for the hall of fame but to no avail  :-(
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
For the sake of everybody's added info and knowledge, here's the list of Modern Drummer Magazine's Hall Of Fame Inductees.

1979:  Gene Krupa
1980:  Buddy Rich
1981:  John Bonham
1982:  Keith Moon
1983:  Neil Peart
1984:  Steve Gadd
1985:  Louie Bellson
1986:  Tony Williams
1987:  Billy Cobham
1988:  Joe Morello
1989:  Carl Palmer
1990:  Bill Bruford
1991:  Art Blakey
1992:  Max Roach
1993:  Jeff Porcaro
1994:  Larrie Londin
1995:  Elvin Jones
1996:  Vinnie Colaiuta
1997:  Terry Bozzio
1998:  Ringo Starr
1999:  Roy Haynes
2000:  Dave Weckl
2001:  Dennis Chambers
2002:  Steve Smith
2003:  Simon Phillips
2004:  Mike Portnoy
2005:  Stewart Copeland
2006:  Charlie Watts
2007:  Jack DeJohnette

:mrgreen:

OT... Just an update...  MD just had their July '08 issue, with this year's Readers' Poll results.  This year's Hall Of Fame awardee...

2008: Ginger Baker

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »
Nauna pa si Portnoy kay Dejohnnette. hehe.
Well Virgil is technically good. So why not?
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline rays

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
hehe donati hall of fame..? idol ko din naman sya saka impressive technique pero redundant minsan. between donati and his friend mangini i like mangini more pero hirap lang talaga sya pag hindi rock. so why not donati? hehe
music is what keeps me going. without it, i got no self esteem.

practice makes perfect but perfect doesn't make practice. damn!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:20 AM »
i'm only a fan of his technical prowess and showmanship.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
OT... Just an update...  MD just had their July '08 issue, with this year's Readers' Poll results.  This year's Hall Of Fame awardee...

2008: Ginger Baker

a very, very worthy inductee. it's been a long time comin'...   :-)

Offline gutblastgil

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
virgil is way comparable to thomas lang.. but virgil is way way way better!  :evil: donati forever!!!! 8-)