hulika

Author Topic: sonor s classix, mapex saturn, gretsch renown, tama bubinga  (Read 1921 times)

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
I was fortunate enough to try the sonor sclassix, mapex saturn, gretsch renown maple, and tama bubinga in the same room at a drum shop. Here are some personal observations:

sonor s classix -- 10, 12, 14, 20 and 14 snare
gretsch renown -- 10, 12, 14, 20 and 14 snare
mapex saturn -- 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 and 14 snare
tama bubinga -- 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 and 14 snare

all have their stock heads. felt beaters used. Vic Firth 8D sticks used.

sonor sclassix -- sounded big for its size. tones are full and with nice attack. I like the sound of the snare so much. If I am to get a small kit, it will most likely be a sonor. Feels and looks solid. Great

gretsch renown -- warm sound. Bass drum is what is to be expected, not very special relative to the sound of a tama bubinga and mapex saturn  bass drum. I like the 14" floor tom very much. So much lows in such a small tom. If I am to make a bass drum out of a floor tom, it will have to be the gretsch renown 14 floor tom :-)

mapex saturn -- bass drum booms and sounds like a cannon. Toms sounded more open and resonant compared to the tama bubinga. Tones are full.

tama bubinga -- great lows. Just a little more lows compared to the saturn. Not as open and resonant as the mapex saturn though. feels and looks solid.

Ayan po ang observation ko dun sa apat...

Offline treb 821

Re: sonor s classix, mapex saturn, gretsch renown, tama bubinga
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »
Sir Phfreq, I don't want to put you on the spot, but if you don't mind, may I ask which do you prefer among the four on overall performance soundwise!

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
Sir Phfreq, I don't want to put you on the spot, but if you don't mind, may I ask which do you prefer among the four on overall performance soundwise!

no need to call me sir :-)

it actually is hard to choose among those 4.

I like the lows of the tama bubinga. I like the tone of the sonor sclassix and gretsch renown. The mapex saturn has great lows, only tad short of the lows you can hear from the bubinga but the saturn is more open and resonant. If I were to choose based only on sound, I think the saturn is a good choice since it's in between.

if music to be played is jazz, funk and the likes, I might choose between gretsch renown and sonor s classix

if music to be played is rock, alternative, pop, I'll most likely choose the tama bubinga or the mapex saturn.

if finish is an important factor, I'll choose between the tama bubinga and the mapex saturn.

if price is not a concern, I will most likely get the sonor s classix. Just because I like the hardware and how it's built and the sound that comes from those sizes (and the image/brand :-)). But we always look for the best bang for the buck. ;-)

for the best bang for the buck and an overall versatile kit, I'll choose the saturn.

again, this is just among the four. There are other kits that can be compared but the statements above are just based on the experience with the four kits mentioned.

If I am to make a frankenstein 4 pc kit, I'll get a 20" bubinga bass, the renown 14" floor tom, the mapex saturn 12" rack tom and the sonor s classix snare. Of course, I just don't know how they'll sound as a whole kit since I wasn't able to set them up :-) I just know that individually, I like how they sound :-)

these are personal opinions and yours might differ :-)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:02:38 PM by phfreq »

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:58:07 AM »
after spending more time with the mapex saturn and the sonor s classix, I am thinking that the mapex saturn is one of the loudest drums. The whole place rumbles just from the bass drum sound.

The sonor s classix -- very classy.. and sings even on the lightest touch.. I just fell in love with it... hay... scandinavian birch pala ung wood... hay... I don't know pero it doesn't sound like any other birch kit I've heard.

Offline treb 821

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »
Keep it coming Phfreq, para makumpleto reviews ng four kits!