hulika

Author Topic: On triggering drums while tracking...  (Read 794 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
On triggering drums while tracking...
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »
... do you like to record the triggered tracks (the sound coming from your module) alongside the mic'd tracks?  Or do you prefer just midi?

I was thinking, 90% of the time, it is necessary to re-trigger the performance of the drummer in the post.  Because most of the time, in the actual tracking, there are missed or false triggers.  Crosstalk with drums are also uncontrollable, hence more false triggering.

In my case, I ask a drummer before a recording session if it is VERY NECESSARY to use synthetic drum sounds either from software or a drum module.  Because  it can be a big pain in the butt to tune drums, muffle them and add triggers when in the end, they just want the acoustic mic'd tracks.  :-P

Now when the drummer says he needs triggering, I let him choose the samples he wants.  Then during tracking, it may not be the case to record the actual triggered sounds, and at most just MIDI....

Triggering is 100% unnecessary if you know how to set up the drum kit and mics, and I think should one trigger sounds off a drum module or sound bank, he must bare in mind that it can 'alter' the feel of the performance big time.

LouieAzcona

Re: On triggering drums while tracking...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
he must bare in mind that it can 'alter' the feel of the performance big time.

exactly, even non-musicians can hear that.