hulika

Author Topic: CLOCKS.. not the one by Coldplay  (Read 1833 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
CLOCKS.. not the one by Coldplay
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:20 PM »
anybody using these digital clocks? i am eyeing on a Big Ben as a clocking source but saw one made by Lucid.. besides these two, any recommendations?
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: CLOCKS.. not the one by Coldplay
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
anybody using these digital clocks? i am eyeing on a Big Ben as a clocking source but saw one made by Lucid.. besides these two, any recommendations?

I use the Big Ben and the OCX by Antelope. The Big Ben has been with me for about 4 years now, I used to have a Lynx unit before which lasted me a while and that died in a power surge, otherwise, that unit was solid till it died. I just got the OCX recently this year after I needed a reliable clock for my drum and rehearsal space rig. I love the thing and it has been rocksolid for the time that I've used it. Honestly, I can't tell which is better except that the OCX is newer but you really can't go wrong with either one as long as you've got good converters running on your system. Since you have the Rosetta, I would go Big Ben just to keep things compatible. I took time to really look for a clock for my RME rig because it is made up of different pieces - RME, Mytek and other stuff that I wasn't sure how the OCX would fit in, Sweetwater helped me out there as well as some folks I know locally that have put the OCX through a ton more gear than I've got. The clocks may not make sound but they do make sure everything is synced properly so my tracks are crisp and true till I need to work on 'em. I also recommend that you look into the Lynx Aurora - great unit that works well in a few studios I've been in. If you can find an Aardvark Aardsync, that would be awesome because those are probably the best clocks to date. Those are hard to come by these days but they might be floating around closeout sales or used gear places. Good luck I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:26:16 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:26 PM »

We have the Apogee BigBen and the Lucid GenX92. Both are solid and reliable master clocks. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:58:50 PM by rakrakan »

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
thanks for the replies... got the info.. now the hard part..the money..!  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »

swipe away lang sa credit card, hehehe.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »

overtime (if you are paid by the hour) or extra jobs on the side.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
I just saw the prices/ specs on the Big Ben, Lucid Genx 192 and Anteope OSX.. which one do you think will sync well with my MOTU HD192??? Its on the Motu where i heard the panning problems.. the Rosetta 200 was perfect in all aspects (clarity, instrument placements, imagery and depth) according to my ears hehehe  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »
I was just thinking, if its possible to use the clock of the Rosetta 200 instead and slave the Motu HD so i can get another mic pre  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
I just saw the prices/ specs on the Big Ben, Lucid Genx 192 and Anteope OSX.. which one do you think will sync well with my MOTU HD192??? Its on the Motu where i heard the panning problems.. the Rosetta 200 was perfect in all aspects (clarity, instrument placements, imagery and depth) according to my ears hehehe  8-)

i am not a MOTU guy so you could try asking MOTU what they would recommend. All units do the same thing but some might work better than others. As far as using the Rosetta as the master clock, I have no experience using it but theoretically it shouldn't be a problem. Try it and see if it solves your problem. New pre? I highly recommend one that I am lovin' right now - the Vintech neve clone series, particularly the X73i. Try it out if a local place carries it. I am using it on a project right now with an old Gefell tube mic and the thing shines...

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:28:47 AM »
I was just thinking, if its possible to use the clock of the Rosetta 200 instead and slave the Motu HD so i can get another mic pre  :-D

this should be possible.

Set the Rosetta's clock to internal. connect word clock out of Rosetta to HD192's word clock in, set 192's clock to external (word clock). Set your DAW's clock to external (word clock).

Power up the Rosetta first, then the hd192, then the DAW

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »
thanks Gerry tomorrow I'll get some
Cables to connect the two, if it doesnt
Fix the problem I may be forced to
Get a better clock. Abbys I was thinking
Of millenia media or a Manley, hmm
GAS is really expensive he he he. :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:57:17 PM »
I got the cable, damn those bnc cable cost so much at 140 bucks :x
Connected them and I noticed some improvement on the stereo imaging
But I would still say Apogee Rosetta is much better. Gerry you can choose different
Clock timing without any powering sequence, you can do it on the fly as you go
Along with different sampling rates, besides the Rosetta has no wordclock in/out
Switches but thanks anyway.  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
thanks Gerry tomorrow I'll get some
Cables to connect the two, if it doesnt
Fix the problem I may be forced to
Get a better clock. Abbys I was thinking
Of millenia media or a Manley, hmm
GAS is really expensive he he he. :-D

I didn't know Manley made a dedicated clock unit. You aren't talking about The Wave are you? That is a DAC/ pre and that is about as much I know about Manley's conversion line so they might have added a few DAC/ clock units in recent years since I don't catch up on gear very well. I've used the DAC unit in  mastering suites a couple of times. Very sweet unit. Maybe the clock is through Langevin or Massenburg?

if you anticipate using more BNC cables, you could always make them yourself. I have rolls of wire cable from Belden and Mogami that I use for my studio stuff. Neutrik for standard TRS and stuff like that and Amphenol for all BNC needs.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »
no abbys i was talking about mic pres...  yeah just saw a catalog on wires and terminals.. i actually assemble my own Mogami cable i mean Ripoff ones hehehe 
 :-D.. its just Neutric terminals and Neglex cables. Just too busy and actually lazy to be soldering around. i am thinking of using Switchcraft terminals, i think they are better.  8-)
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
no abbys i was talking about mic pres...  yeah just saw a catalog on wires and terminals.. i actually assemble my own Mogami cable i mean Ripoff ones hehehe 
 :-D.. its just Neutric terminals and Neglex cables. Just too busy and actually lazy to be soldering around. i am thinking of using Switchcraft terminals, i think they are better.  8-)

ah, yun ba....good choices. the millenia are great units as are the Manleys so i guess it depends what you want them for. all hail the GAS king! lol