hulika

Author Topic: jaco pastorius  (Read 2872 times)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
jaco pastorius
« on: July 10, 2008, 09:46:21 AM »
hey mods

if there is a thread on this guy, you can go ahead and delete this thread :-) or you can merge it...whatever you want

naging familiar ako sa kanya because of the song chicken. common kasi sya na jam staple sa mga bar bands sa pinas. i actually learned how to play this song before i ever listened to jaco pastorius play it. :mrgreen:

ginawa ko pa ngang pang audition ang chicken when i was applying for a music instructor here in the states.

natanggap na ako bilang guitar instructor sa music tore na inapplyan ko. then my boss asked me if i know how to play the bass and could i show him some bass lines.

ginawa ko ang chicken, at nag solo pa a ko....(kahit na di ko alam ang ginagawa ko)

ayun, binigyan din nya ako ng mga bass students! :-D

thanks Jaco!  :-)
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: jaco pastorius
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
no posts about jaco.....on a jazz thread/forum.....tsk tsk tsk :cry:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Well, one thing about Jaco was that he was really...

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

:-P

Sorry, Blues2Death... I tried to resist, really, I did!  :-D
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:42:56 AM »
ok lang basta ikaw......... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline jamesroy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:03:53 AM »
si jaco bastos talaga sa bass! pangalan din niya medyo bastos eh hehehe

pero paborits ko rin chicken! ok din version ng dave weckl band!

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
no posts about jaco.....on a jazz thread/forum.....tsk tsk tsk :cry:

Go to the Bass Place, and you'll drown in Jaco threads. The thing about Jaco was that he was probably the best jazz electric bass player ever, but his fans extended beyond jazz, maybe because of his punk rock attitude. In fact one of the biggest Jaco fans I know around here is Buwi Meneses of Parokya ni Edgar.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »
i appreciate the suggestion jim...and i understand why it might seem like that...

that his fans extended beyond jazz......pero in my opinion limited to bassists..kasi nga nasa bass forum.

d ba dapat his fans should extend beyond bass(?)...i mean, i am not a bassist..i am a guitar player...and i love jazz too...that's why i appreciate his talent not only as a bassist but also as a writer...

but alas, not arguments here....just pointing out my opinion... :-D

the chicken is such a good study in composition, soloing over changes through ii-v-i movement...modal approach pwede IMO......

and the break directly comes from a Bb blues scale....blues scale in a jazz standard? who would ever thought it would be that simple? but it is....complicated, technical and over the top bassist that he is, he showed how a simple idea can last generations... :-D

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
No argument about Jaco being an inspiration to all musicians. I'm a drummer after all. Jaco was also a good arranger, especially of horn sections, so I'm sure horn players get off on him also.

Jaco played in bands other than jazz groups - "The Chicken" is a composition that harks back to his bar band days in Florida playing in soul and funk bands. It's a catchy jam tune but I wouldn't label it as his best work - in his solo albums, the ballad "Portrait of Tracy" stands out - the Pat Metheny album "Bright Size Life" where Jaco played bass - and all his Weather Report stuff are more iconic.

There's a thread here about "the Chicken" you might have missed.
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,36689.0.html

Lastly Jaco is also revered by Joni Mitchell fans (such as myself) lending his touch to Joni classics such as "Coyote" on the albums "Hejira" and "Shadows and Light". He also played on Joni's one legit jazz album "Mingus"

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:19:20 PM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 03:29:01 AM »
Joni actually was in awe with Jaco's musical talent, and made him the musical director of her "Shadows and Light" tour.  Unfortunately, the man's dark side started manifesting itself around this time and Mitchell had no choice but to designate fellow sideman Pat Metheny to be the MD.  Try listening to "Three Views of a Secret" or any of his "big band" type arrangements and you'll ask yourself, "A guy who claims to be the greatest electric bass player and describes his music as "Punk Jazz" wrote this"?  His musical talent was that wide and deep.  Too bad he had to go somewhere too early.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 03:32:40 AM by Jaco D »

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:15:02 AM »
i know... :cry:

Offline globalwarmthings

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:44:40 AM »
hirap mag assign ng blame sa tragedy ng buhay ni jaco, they were giving him a wide leash kasi kala ng lahat eccentric behaviour lang yun pinapakita ni jaco....where do you draw the line between eccentricity and mental disorder?

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:29:58 AM »
Jaco is the best! he's a complete human being. a son, a brother, a father, a betterhalf, a friend, a musician, an artist. the book The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius really touched my life. i read it from cover to cover and I learned a lot from it. 

the book isn't just about him.. it's about life and how we treat life on this planet.
John 3:16