hulika

Author Topic: Mastering Audio  (Read 1735 times)

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Mastering Audio
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:28:41 PM »
Software, Hardware, Process, Processes?, Processors?,Tools, Plug-ins, Settings, Techniques.....Mastering Speakers?

ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Mastering Audio
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
Gamit ko pala: Sound Forge lang with Izotope for Mastering...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:05 AM »
Since I am not a mastering engineer, i have little to suggest except the pieces of equipment I've sat in on during mastering sessions. I do know that a popular mastering platform is Soundblade and that seems to be the standard in most houses I've worked with and I can't say I've seen anything else in use. For speakers, try looking into Duntech Sovereign, B&W (especially the nautilus 800 series), Augsberger, Legacy...I've worked with the Sovereign locally and those are amazing speakers. However, none is more important in mastering than the setting of the mastering suite because the place needs to be dead accurate for all of your gear to make a difference. Good quality converters are a given and some I;ve seen in active use are the stuff from Prism, Lavry and Lynx.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

reycantong

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Now that's mastering gear  :evil:

But for me, eto lang gamit ko but it gets the job done:

1. Sonar + CD Architect
2. Pro Tools + CD Architect

Speakers ko, KRK vxt6 and a JBL lsr.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »
I've been gassing for a whole new set of mastering tools.  In most cases, you need a load of software and hardware processors.  Cleanup, noise reduction are usually done with software.  The hardware otoh is used for loudness maximizing, phase delays, compressing, limiting and EQ. 

I was thinking of getting the best bang-for-buck mastering tools and I thought of the following:

Maybe a Quested or ADAM monitor pair would be my bet.
A DBX Quantum II for processing
An EL Fatso for fattening up the sound
Sadie or Waves + Izotope can also work well for cleanups (hey, they use these for film sound cleanup, so they might work well for music too)
Aphex Compellor auto-limiter
And a good converter like Prizm or Benchmark

And the most important factor - THE ROOM.

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »
Wavelab with tons of mastering plugins.
You will be surprised how mastering friendly wavelab is. Lots of options to explore.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »
I've been gassing for a whole new set of mastering tools.  In most cases, you need a load of software and hardware processors.  Cleanup, noise reduction are usually done with software.  The hardware otoh is used for loudness maximizing, phase delays, compressing, limiting and EQ. 

I was thinking of getting the best bang-for-buck mastering tools and I thought of the following:

Maybe a Quested or ADAM monitor pair would be my bet.
A DBX Quantum II for processing
An EL Fatso for fattening up the sound
Sadie or Waves + Izotope can also work well for cleanups (hey, they use these for film sound cleanup, so they might work well for music too)
Aphex Compellor auto-limiter
And a good converter like Prizm or Benchmark

And the most important factor - THE ROOM.

Since you mentioned the Fatso, I just want to add that the upcoming release of UAD's software should include the EL Fatso and the Little Labs IBP which is a great tool for tidying up phase issues on multiple mic setups. UA puts out some pretty good stuff so I am quite confident that the Fatso is going to be very close to the HW version. Folks were asking for the Distressor but I think EL is going to test the waters first with the Fatso to see how people are going to like it. I personally refrain from removing stuff from my racks so having a plug version of EL gear to put on a drum or bass bus is going to be very, very cool for working remotely from the studio. For users of PT - RTAS is getting support with the new plugs - schwing!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »
Wavelab with tons of mastering plugins.
You will be surprised how mastering friendly wavelab is. Lots of options to explore.

I can't do without Wavelab's montage feature... that alone is worth the price of admission!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire