hulika

Author Topic: Sponsered drummers or drummers endorsing drumsets  (Read 1285 times)

Offline shinobi_hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Sponsered drummers or drummers endorsing drumsets
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
Just been wondering if drummers that endorse drums here in the philippines use the drums of the company  they endorse all the time i.e at small club gigs, on tour.

Ive been noticing that most bars have a "home set" that everyone uses.
I'm just basing this off of what I've seen in Quezon and Laguna.
In Manila is it that way as well?
Just wondering because coming from America and bringing my set around was hard but a necessity if I were improve the sponsorship I was trying to get. But being in the PHI it's harder to bring it around since I don't have a car and it would be impractical to rent one or put it in a "trike". Is this the case for most touring drummers? Sorry if this has been asked in another thread but I couldn't find it and the search keep "error-ing due to 'high server stress'".

So any reply would be appreciated.
"Put the south in your mouth."

Offline brokensticks

Re: Sponsered drummers or drummers endorsing drumsets
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
most if not all clubs/bars here have their own house kits.
some drummers do bring their entire kit despite the bar having its own.
just really preference and familiarity with the bar. if you think the bar's house kit is okay for you then maybe you can leave your gear at home, if not then bring it. :-)
and yes it is hard to haul drummer's gear.

Offline shinobi_hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
most if not all clubs/bars here have their own house kits.
some drummers do bring their entire kit despite the bar having its own.
just really preference and familiarity with the bar. if you think the bar's house kit is okay for you then maybe you can leave your gear at home, if not then bring it. :-)
and yes it is hard to haul drummer's gear.

yeah. thanks for replying.
but i mean for drummer that have kits that were given to them by their sponsors.
I guess i didn't clarify my question haha.
Like for ex. You're a pearl endorser with a full endorsement. Would you be required to use only that kit and bring it around?

Offline brokensticks

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
yeah. thanks for replying.
but i mean for drummer that have kits that were given to them by their sponsors.
I guess i didn't clarify my question haha.
Like for ex. You're a pearl endorser with a full endorsement. Would you be required to use only that kit and bring it around?

requiring to bring your kit to every gig would depend on your endorsement deal sir.

but to answer how the 'endorsing' drummers gig around the metro:
some drummers who have endorsements and use the house kit or the backline providers kit usually cover the logo/brand of the'unendorsed' kit they're playing with tape and bond paper. some bands like rivermaya for example, their drummer endorses Gretsch drums. the band has like an 'unofficial' backline provider for outdoor or concernt events-PMX. so the drummer has no problem with hauling a gretsch kit to a concert. others endorsers just simply cover the logo.

btw, what brand are you endorsing sir?  :-)

Offline shinobi_hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
requiring to bring your kit to every gig would depend on your endorsement deal sir.

but to answer how the 'endorsing' drummers gig around the metro:
some drummers who have endorsements and use the house kit or the backline providers kit usually cover the logo/brand of the'unendorsed' kit they're playing with tape and bond paper. some bands like rivermaya for example, their drummer endorses Gretsch drums. the band has like an 'unofficial' backline provider for outdoor or concernt events-PMX. so the drummer has no problem with hauling a gretsch kit to a concert. others endorsers just simply cover the logo.

btw, what brand are you endorsing sir?  :-)

Oh I see. That makes sense. Instead of hauling it all over the place they give you like a "back-up" set?

I'm not endorsing anything yet. Still working on a few projects and songs before I fill anything out.
What about you? Do you endorse any products? and to what degree?

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
(speaking as an observer and as one who as asked around)

Drummers sponsored by the brand itself are usually required to play the brand on media-covered events.
(Although there are only a handful drummers here that are brand-sponsored)

Sometimes, music stores sponsor kits. I've seen JB and TMS do this.

Small regularly-held club gigs are usually unsponsored as far as drums are concerned. I have observed special events to be more sponsor-able, so to speak. I guess it's all about marketing efficiency.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline shinobi_hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
(speaking as an observer and as one who as asked around)

Drummers sponsored by the brand itself are usually required to play the brand on media-covered events.
(Although there are only a handful drummers here that are brand-sponsored)

Sometimes, music stores sponsor kits. I've seen JB and TMS do this.

Small regularly-held club gigs are usually unsponsored as far as drums are concerned. I have observed special events to be more sponsor-able, so to speak. I guess it's all about marketing efficiency.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head with that.
It is all about marketing strategy with sponsorships.
So in short there aren't too many drummers here in the PHI endorsing products regularly?
Kasi from experience when I was endorsing a product I brought it around where ever I went.
Be it battles or gigs. To "market" or advertise the product.
I'm not pro or anything and still at a tender age but I have been wondering what it would take to attain full sponsorships
while I'm still in the PHI. Apart from being busy with gigs, recording, and other related things what would it take to receive one here? Any ideas or experience one would like to share?