hulika

Author Topic: Petrified Anthem  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Petrified Anthem
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »
Saw the blurb about Pet Ant at the home page..

Yes, I do remember the band from the old DZRJ days.. One of the more memorable tracks was 'Something for Everyone,' with that very lyrical guitar solo. Does anyone remember who did this? Was it Walter Wirth?

And where indeed is Walter these days?

I remember seeing him being featured in some of the Mexicali's Blues Band jams during the early 90s, where I also saw Joey Puyat playing again after a long hiatus..

Would love to get a copy of the said album ... hmmm ...
"No static at all ..."

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18:06 AM »
deacon blues - haha... you're dating yourself by reminiscing hearing Pet Ant from the RJ radio days.  i was also "wondering about walter's wirth's whereabouts" (parang alliteration ata un ah!)

try mo i-pm ang admin natin, former bandmates cila.  nt sure kung may contact pa cya. would love to see walter play again. i'll also ask some of the guys sa blue rats kung may balita sila. i wanna go to one of their gigs soon.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 03:24:00 AM »
Hahaha ... i know, i know ... it feels kinda funny how the thread faded into oblivion ... it's like most of here siguro just scratched their heads and said, 'duh ... who are they?'

Yup, I'd love to listen to them now. i wonder how they sound these days ...

Di ba sila yung kumanta ng ...

"First I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side ...

Hehehehe ...

Just kidding folks ..
I might get a major reprimand from the admin ...

Baka kantahan nya ako ng ...

"Go on now go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
Coz you're not welcome anymore ... "

Whatever happens ...

"you think I'd crumble
you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I ...

:D  :D  :D
"No static at all ..."

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:42:03 AM »
I am told that the drummer of Petrified Anthem, Bobby Wirth, has passed away... but I cannot confirm this. He was a long-time in-patient at Makati Medical....

I will ask my high-school batchmates who knew him well kung totoo man...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:48:54 AM »
Hi Deacon - I played drums for Mexicali Blues back in the day, and yes Joey Puyat and Walter Wirth were the twin gunslingers in the lineup. As far as I know Walter did all the guitar solos on all the Pet Ant songs, including Something for Everyone (aka P.A.S.O.) Mexicali rehearsed Waiting To Be Found a few times, but scrapped it because it didnt fit the lineup which started to go towards blues-jazz (via Robben Ford) rather than classic rock.

Walter was always a bit weird about releasing Petrified Anthem commercially. With the recent death of Bobby Wirth (after years of being in a post-stroke vegative state) it makes it even harder 'cause Walter gets choked up about anything to do with Bobby and Pet Ant.I asked him for an interview once and he declined for those reasons. The only place you can hear Pet Ant is on Rock990 AM if you can stand the scratchy AM signal.

Occassionally he will play live with fellow american expatriate Dr. Ted Nickelhoff (nickeloff?) and they jam with Wally Gonzales at Chaquico's now and then.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
I am told that the drummer of Petrified Anthem, Bobby Wirth, has passed away... but I cannot confirm this. He was a long-time in-patient at Makati Medical....

I will ask my high-school batchmates who knew him well kung totoo man...

Yup that is true, see my blog post here:

http://www.philmusic.com/blog/index.php?p=167

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Petrified Anthem
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »
yes I remember Petrified Anthem on the Pinoy Rock hour at RJ Am

waiting to be found
country aire
drinking wine???
tarmac (instrumental?)

Pinoy rock in the last half of the 70's was the soundtrack of my teen life.
8 track recordings for sure, but I remember it all in my head....

whatever happened to that Magellan musical?   he he

o.t.  I loved Joey Puyat's guitar work also with Florante and Fadzar Taugsug band and with Johnny Alegre.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM