hulika

Author Topic: Question: same pups, different bodies.  (Read 1129 times)

Online m1k3

• Philmusicus Addictus
Question: same pups, different bodies.
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
I'm currently using a custom ash body flyin' v with an SD JazzN and SD Alt8 bridge pickup. I love the tone i'm getting from it.

Question.

Will i get the same tone if i install the same pickup combo to my ash body strat? I will install the same wiring diagram of my flyin' v to the strat.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Question: same pups, different bodies.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
I think even if the V and the Strat were both made using wood cut from the exact same tree, there will still be a noticable difference because of the difference in scale lengths (Strats are typically 25.5in and I assume V's are 24.75 like LP's). I bet most of the characteristics of the pickups will be retained but there will be a noticable difference. I would bet you will still get much of the sound that you love on your V on the Strat though.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »
I think even if the V and the Strat were both made using wood cut from the exact same tree, there will still be a noticable difference because of the difference in scale lengths (Strats are typically 25.5in and I assume V's are 24.75 like LP's). I bet most of the characteristics of the pickups will be retained but there will be a noticable difference. I would bet you will still get much of the sound that you love on your V on the Strat though.

Agree!
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »
Distance of the pickup from the bridge will also affect the tone

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:04:48 PM »
Aside from the wood and measurement differences, the hardware would also play a big role in the sound. Having different hardware and materials (i.e. nylon/zinc/steel/brass/titanium saddles...... nickel silver/stainless steel frets..) would affect how the string sounds when strummed and thus picked up by the pickups themselves.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:13:02 PM »
Aside from the wood and measurement differences, the hardware would also play a big role in the sound. Having different hardware and materials (i.e. nylon/zinc/steel/brass/titanium saddles...... nickel silver/stainless steel frets..) would affect how the string sounds when strummed and thus picked up by the pickups themselves.

You nailed it bro.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
This thread kinda reminded me of how EVH's Frankenstein came about trying to "cross-pollinate" an LP and a Strat.
#DigitalHiyaw

Online m1k3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
I am learning a lot here. Thanks for the reply people.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »

eto na lahat yun!

I remember, I removed the pickguard assembly (including all electronics) from my #1 partscaster and placed it on an MIJ strat. my partscaster had an alder body and stainless hardware. my MIJ had stock fender hardware and a basswood body. it sounded different. hahaha hardware plays a big factor talaga.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:50:03 AM by Ralph_Petrucci »
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha