hulika

Author Topic: Just installed Ubuntu Studio  (Read 2004 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Just installed Ubuntu Studio
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:47:04 AM »
And I have to say I'm quite impressed by something that's free! Running it now on my Centrino 1.6 laptop and I can pretty much do gung ho recording when needed and just migrate them onto my bedroom desktop DAW. If I get to understand the system fully, I just might do a complete switch to Linux for all my music production needs.

Anyone else who runs a Linux based DAW? :)
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Just installed Ubuntu Studio
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:03:21 AM »
ubuntu tong laptop ko ngayon. kaya lang hindi pa fully supported yung presonus firestudio project ko for multitrack recording. stereo channel outputs pa lang gumanaga at minsan 1 preamp lang gagana for recording.

ardour is quite good.

anong interface gamit mo?

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
there are 2 available installations of ubuntu studio on the site. which one did you install? :-) will be trying studio as well (as of writing, i am installing ubuntu on my laptop)

Offline d6ynast9y

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
im downloading this right now, looks good.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 11:29:49 PM »
there are 2 available installations of ubuntu studio on the site. which one did you install? :-) will be trying studio as well (as of writing, i am installing ubuntu on my laptop)

Well what I did was install the basic Ubuntu 9.04 distro and used the Synaptic update manager to put in all the ubuntu studio bits. I just typed in 'ubuntu-studio' and it downloaded all the programs and dependencies for the release :)

Offline d6ynast9y

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:14 PM »
i just installed ubunto studio 9.04 on a dualboot system with vista on my hp laptop. so far it looks good. i still cant get the wireless network to work. its kinda hard to use since im not realy used to anything but windows. i installed everything with it.  any other suggestions on what other programs i can install and how?   :-D

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
i just installed ubunto studio 9.04 on a dualboot system with vista on my hp laptop. so far it looks good. i still cant get the wireless network to work. its kinda hard to use since im not realy used to anything but windows. i installed everything with it.  any other suggestions on what other programs i can install and how?   :-D

Ay bro, that's the major hitch with installing Ubuntu Studio directly from the CD. I'm sure there's a way to make the wireless work if you do that, but what I did from my end was to install the REGULAR Ubuntu distro then use the Synaptic Package Manager in the system to install the Ubuntu Studio package. That way, I was able to keep the wireless settings enabled without much hassle :)

Generally, programs are installed in Ubuntu using the Aptitude package manager. What it does is that it simplifies the task of unpacking, checking dependencies and compiling the installer for a given program by doing it automatically and doing all installs via the network / Ubuntu servers. :)

Offline rocketboy

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »
List of compatible audio interfaces for Linux

http://www.linuxstudiopro.com/

let's hope they update this soon hehe...HTH

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
Hey thanks for this link man! :)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
tried the synaptic package manager to install components for ubuntu studio. its screwing up in my case :-( weird thing, it prompted me for studio 8 then 9 and it ended there.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 03:10:44 AM »
what distro did you install initially?

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 03:34:31 AM »
okay heres what i did:

installed ubuntu 9 (via wubi)
inserted studio 9 (automatically ran the updater)
prompted for studio 8
then prompted for studio 9 again

...and now it wouldnt continue. im thinking of actually redoing the whole thing if i really did something wrong.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »
That's strange, because what I did was

Install 9.04
Update using the Synaptic Package Manager. Used the keyword ubuntu-studio

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
That's strange, because what I did was

Install 9.04
Update using the Synaptic Package Manager. Used the keyword ubuntu-studio

ok the method i posted didnt work on my laptop. however, i installed ubuntu onto a friends desktop, then installed studio through the disc and worked. tried the same thing again on my laptop and isnt working (not connected to the net). now im trying to see if its gonna work through the net (so far its downloading).

btw, what interface are you using for your laptop?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 02:19:18 AM »
right now im using the onboard card, but im thinking of getting a behri firewire since ill just use this for minor writing stuff lang naman. the serious recording rig is still in my bedroom. :)

good luck in installing ubuntu!

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
hmmm it didnt work again :-( i think i really need to reformat and do it all over again.

just curious: does it matter if its ntfs or fat32 for ubuntu/ubuntu studio?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
ah there! youd have to choose either ext3 or ext2 as your partition file system that will house linux :)

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »
ah there! youd have to choose either ext3 or ext2 as your partition file system that will house linux :)

...and it worked! :-D haha now just a few things:

-how did you configure jack considering you are using your onboard soundcard on your laptop? its also on my laptop actually.
-where could i get the plugins to make the audio/video playback work? what do i exactly find?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
Re: Jack -- to tell you frankly, I havent really gotten around to tinkering with Jack :(

Re: plugins - had the same problem before because movie player wont play dvds; after googling, it led me to a link that talked about downloading libdevss or something.

Cant really help much on this as I too am relative noob to the OS. The forums at ubuntuforums.org, though, can be the most helpful resource on the net you can find.

Welcome to the Ubuntu club!

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »
spent half a day tinkering ubuntu studio. a lot of these apps look promising. so far, ive already made hydrogen and audacity work.

still trying to figure out how to make jack work, specially that the other apps like ardour need jack.

another downside right now (well more on ubuntu i mean), i still couldnt find the right graphics driver for my laptop (it uses sis mirage 3+). with the current resolution, couldnt appreciate some apps (its oversized for the monitor).