hulika

Author Topic: Joey Santiago of The Pixies  (Read 2866 times)

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
Joey Santiago of The Pixies
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
as most of us pinoys are ''amazed'' about Arnel Pineda or Charis Pempengco...there's one guy who conquered international music scene 20 yrs ago and remain unnoticed ... he is Joey Santiago, guitarist of the legendary band THE PIXIES...well my fellow countrymen, we can refer to the late Kurt Kobain who spoke openly about the influence this band had brought to his music, and i quote "In a January 1994 Rolling Stone interview, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain revealed that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was an attempt to write a song in the style of the Pixies, a band he greatly admired. He explained:I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band— or at least a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvi4iA3PnKE&feature=related

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Joey Santiago of The Pixies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
Seen Pixies perform onstage twice.  The most recent one was last November when they performed the whole Doolittle album in track sequence plus all the b-sides off the singles.

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
you are one lucky dude :) ...thanks for sharing pics specially that nice shot of Joey!..salamat

Seen Pixies perform onstage twice.  The most recent one was last November when they performed the whole Doolittle album in track sequence plus all the b-sides off the singles.

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
as most of us pinoys are ''amazed'' about Arnel Pineda or Charis Pempengco...there's one guy who conquered international music scene 20 yrs ago and remain unnoticed ... he is Joey Santiago, guitarist of the legendary band THE PIXIES...[/i]

i think, one of the reasons why the Arnel Pineda/Charice-being-more-appreciated-and-noticed-internationally-by-Filipino pop listeners-than-any-other-great-Filipino-musicians phenomenon is the fact that they came just right on time when Pacquiao was in his early peak being looked up as an international icon. I mean, pag nagsulputan na sila ng sunod-sunod sa international scene at pinapalabas sila sa noontime shows sa Pilipinas ang laking factor nun. E nung lumabas ata si Joey sa international scene kasalukuyang nanonood ang mga tao ng that's entertainment, bagets, erap films at gabby-sharon tandem e.... :lol: Another is the way they shout high notes and imitate other singers, that does catch attention of the masses. Of course the Pixies cannot be compared to those two pop artists dahil hindi naman "masa band" ang Pixies IMO. Besides, Joey is a guitar player and the two are considered as solo artists/front(wo)/man...

Anyway, much respect and appreciation to Joey and the Pixies. Lately ko lang pinakinggan to pero iba. Simple lang riffs pero malakas...at pinoy na pinoy ang ulo... :-D

And to Deadwing swerte mo talaga andami mo ng napanood with pics pa (sa Indie Rock Thread)  :-D

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »

And to Deadwing swerte mo talaga andami mo ng napanood with pics pa (sa Indie Rock Thread)  :-D

Napakamahal nga lang na bisyo ang pumupunta sa concert.  Kaya puro kayod din sa trabaho para lang may pambili ng tiket.  :wink:

Offline edzpen

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
Napaka-influential talaga ng band na ito...even radiohead's STOP WHISPERING, was written as a tribute to THE PIXIES...kaya saludo ako kina frank black and company...syempre, sa pinoy na rin nilang gitarista na si Joey Santiago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Whispering

Dalawang tape ang meron ako sa bandang ito, yung DOOLITTLE, at yung debut nilang SURFER ROSA.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:45:32 PM by edzpen »

Offline skirmish

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
aaw, i miss the pixies. fave ko doolittle

Offline -nan-

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
one of the best bands for me! unique style and sounds. tama ka sir syndrome laki ng influenced ng banda na to kay cobain. sana makapunta din sila dito. :-D nga pala yung moonpools and caterpillars may mga pinoy din at magaling din sila.  :-D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:09:47 PM by -nan- »
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse" - Don Vito Corleone, The Godfather-

Offline skirmish

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
one of the best bands for me! unique style and sounds. tama ka sir syndrome laki ng influenced ng banda na to kay cobain. sana makapunta din sila dito. grin nga pala yung moonpools and caterpillars may mga pinoy din at magaling din sila << bakit ung mga gusto kong banda di pumupunta dito  :cry:

so far ung mga gusto ko pa lng na napunta na dito: sonic youth, beastie boys tsaka NIN

deadwing @ you are sooo lucky!!

Offline sinosimelo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »
oh [gooey brown stuff]? seriously? pinoy pala yun?!!! OHMAHGAHDD!! Fave band ko ngayon yung Pixies eh...  :lol:

Offline syndrome

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
if anyone here in philmusic community has a copy of "The Score" magazine (1988 issue) theres an article there by "Cool Carla" Abaya wherein she gave information about the band - specifically mentioning and educating pinoy rockers that time that this awesome band has a "Filipino" guitarist...Carla also gave a high rate review of the Pixies debut album--Come on Pilgrim..

and i hate to say this, but i want to emphasize ..specificaly to the youngsters - Arnel Pineda or Charice shouldnt be the breakthrough Filipino international artist(s)

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:50:25 AM »
if anyone here in philmusic community has a copy of "The Score" magazine (1988 issue) theres an article there by "Cool Carla" Abaya wherein she gave information about the band - specifically mentioning and educating pinoy rockers that time that this awesome band has a "Filipino" guitarist...Carla also gave a high rate review of the Pixies debut album--Come on Pilgrim..

and i hate to say this, but i want to emphasize ..specificaly to the youngsters - Arnel Pineda or Charice shouldnt be the breakthrough Filipino international artist(s)

true that.  i mean, they're good, i have to grudgingly admit (even with charice's occasional pronunciation issues), but joey santiago deserves more respect.  he was representing the philippines in music before it was cool to do so...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline lamentation25

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 12:40:44 PM »
Pixies?
hahanapin ko mga albums nila!!!

Offline edzpen

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wifrxqr5ldhe~T1

Come on pilgrim was more of an EP, while surfer rosa was the first full length record.

Thanks to the legendary rock n rhythm. If not for that music magazine, I would have not read about this band, specially, since I lived in a province, where such kind of rock music is very RARE, i was probably one of the few who scored their albums back in our hometown of tacloban city in the visayas, more than 10 yrs ago...

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Pixies?
hahanapin ko mga albums nila!!!

i have all their albums,, ep's and b-sides...i've also watched a docu about them "loudQuietloud".. joey santiago remains humble.,, and always calm..really admire joey for that.. kudos to TS, for bringing up this thread..hope more people, pinoy would dig into this kind of music.. this thread would help.. :wink:

Offline skirmish

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

yes, nabasa ko ata yan waay waay back