hulika

Author Topic: Review my final school project? :D  (Read 946 times)

Offline prjm14

• Veteran Member
Review my final school project? :D
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
Hi! I'm a music production student from DLS-CSB. I was hoping if you could take the time to write a review of my final project. My final project is a 3-song EP which will be presented in front of 3 panelists on the first week of January which is our finals week. I was just hoping if you could review some of our recordings. I produced, engineered, and mixed all the songs.. :D

I think mas important yung reviews production-wise. The songs are not really final pa because we ran out of studio time, and we didn't have time to fix the vocals, kaya sayang hehe..

Your feedback is very much appreciated, I just need something to present to the panelists.. :D

You can check the songs out at http://www.myspace.com/imthebridge

Thanks a lot! :D

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Review my final school project? :D
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Hi Philip. Ahahaha.

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »

its unmastered, so its hard to tell ...

well my comments for the first song: guitars are too loud, vocals sound buried especially in that first verse although it becomes OK on some other parts, bass is unnoticeable.

however, this is OK enough... other than the genre being not my thing, this might be passable. i ddnt listen to the 2nd song anymore. i really can't stand this genre.

my tip is: try to work on a pop song (not those dancy justin bieber ones - unless of course, you can find a singer who can nail it)... one that sounds easier to the ears. i can dig extreme metal and all of that, but IMO, when im (conceptually) grading papers, listening to smooth, undistorted guitars along with a singer who is in key would make me give you higher grades.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
here are my opinions

the guitar panning sounds unnatural, sounds too isolated on to the left/right. also, if i were to mix the guitars, i would add an eq so the mid freqs of the guitar will be balanced to the lows and highs so it will sound more 'ear friendly'. drums is nice and ok.

vocals seems too dry. since the vocalist can't seem to make a good input, a little tweaking and fx would help. can't hear the bass in the mix. hope it helps.  :-)

“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Everything sounds so... separate and disjointed, especially with the vocals floating above everything. The drums are distant and the bass has no body. The distorted guitar leaves much to be desired and the mix lacks sparkle overall.

Mastering will not fix these problems. Go back to the mix.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire