hulika

Author Topic: Equipment While Traveling  (Read 1061 times)

Offline frankdc

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Equipment While Traveling
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
Hello. Long time lurker here. I wanted to ask my fellow drummers how you guys go about traveling with your drum gear; particularly if you have to fly? I'm sure a lot of you have had out-of-town gigs that required flying. Did you have to check your stuff in? I shudder at the thought of baggage people throwing around my cymbal case into a cargo hold.

It would also be nice to know what gear is allowed to be hand-carried and what has to be checked in. Thanks.

NiardicA

Re: Equipment While Traveling
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
My experience....

way back around late 90's

binilan ako ng Zildjian Scemitar set (which means naka box pa..).. Pinayuhan yung tita ko ng people sa ticketing na i-hand carry nalang daw... considered as fragile daw ang cymbal... so from NEW YORK-Narita, Japan-Manila, hand carried ng uncle ko... yun nga lang daw, yung supposed to be na hand carry luguage ng uncle ko, sa cargo hold na inilagay....

hope this helps...

Offline straightedgejep

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »
sir sa experience ko po nung 2007, nakabili ako ng ride from hong-kong to manila . . hand carry ko lang nakatayo lang siya sa may paa ko ayoko kasi i pa check in kasi delikado plastic lang yung sa ride ko walang case. .
"[X]drug free,[X] alcohol free,[X]no promiscuity = a life worth living. ."

Offline frankdc

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »
Thanks guys. Good to know that you can take your cymbals aboard with you. I guess it also depends on the size and the quantity of cymbals. If you had a hard case they might make you check it in I suppose.

Anyone else with experience with flying? What about your pedals and maybe snare drums? Ever since all the new airline rules on what can be carried on board and what has to be checked it, it's rather confusing what to bring.

Offline kokok

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
Hi sir,

i work for an airline. you could always coordinate it with the customer relations officer upon purchase of your ticket. tell them that you would be travelling with FRAGILE MUSICAL instruments. as far as i know, there are special considerations to handling when musical instruments are concerned. our airline does, just not 100% on other airlines.

we even allow some instruments (although on few occassions) to even occupy a seat in the cabin if the said instruments are of high value and very delicate in nature... that is, if you're willing to pay for the price of that extra seat.  :wink:

one time, i personally arranged for the transport onboard one of our aircraft of a priced Ciello. we put it on one of the seats and strapped it in like it was a baby.  :-D

you just need to stress out that your cymbals are FRAGILE and EXPENSIVE. they'll do the rest.

hope this helps,
kokok

Offline paeng16

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
dude... eto lang ma advice ko..

1) IT'S A GIVEN na the check-in bags will be mishandled. So... dapat maayos talaga packing mo..
2) Humidity ng airplain - Pag nasa byahe na yan.. mag momoist yan... Buy ka ng mga mothballs, albatros or yung glade na linalagay sa cabinet. (this is to eliminate AIR with other gas.. kung walang air... walang moisture diba!).
3) inline with 1, mas advisable na tambakan mo ng damit, pantalon, etc yung mga free spaces mo sa drums.. kasi less air yun at more protection during handling diba..

Hope that helps..
For Sale:
Zildjian Avedis MedThin 16" Crash = 5K
Zildjian ZHT 10" Splash = 2K BNew Gibraltar single pedal and Straight stand = 2K each  PM Me ty..

Offline timpanista

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »
re: hand carry items pre pwede mo sabihin sa check in counter na delikado sa check in baggage yung instrument like snare drums or small cymbals. ilang beses na rin ako naka byahe na may dalang gamit wala naman ako naging problem. dati nag uwi ako from hk-mnla ng cymbals dapat i hhand carry ko lang kaso oversized daw kasi 21" ride yung laman tsaka iba pang cymbals at splashes tapos yung case sobrang kapal pa Tuxedo yung tatak. wala naman ako naging problema sa cymbals gawa na rin siguro ng makapal yung case na gamit ko and well padded tapos bawat isang cymbals may sariling padding sa loob ng case. snare drums naman na 14" pwede mo ihand carry as long as hindi bulky yung case nya tsaka kasya sa over head compartment. basta ang lagi mo lang sasabihin sa check in counter eh delikado i check in sa tingin ko papayagan ka. :wink:
Pearl Session Custom SMX  Pearl Prestige Session SPX  Roland TD6KW V Drums  Axis A-L2CB Dynasty DFX14