hulika

Author Topic: is this pc good enough as DAW?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
is this pc good enough as DAW?
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard ECS GF7050VT-M

250 SATA Hard Disk

DVD/Combo RW Samsung Optical Drive

2Gig OC Tech Ram with Heatsink

TIA..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: is this pc good enough as DAW?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
it will do...

but what is your soundcard? that is the most important part of a DAW.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
it will do...

siguro i'll go for a pci souncard,coz' i had a bad experience with a firewire interface before..
neway thank you sir Kitc..

Offline hoy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
it will do...

+1000000000

stock soundcards are not designed to meet your needs for recording. you have to buy one to get the quality you need

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:09:23 PM »
Firewire interfaces are not necessarily bad. Most likely you had an incompatible firewire chipset. That's why I stress greatly the need to research in depth on compatibility prior to purchasing audio gear. As an example, I recommended to my good friend, marvinq, an Asus P5B Deluxe for his DAW build a couple of years ago. I know that top of the line Asus boards usually come with TI firewire chipsets, and Marvin has been using onboard firewire with his Liquidmix without problems. It's when he got his Fireface 800 that we had to scramble around for a good FW expansion card, still with TI chips. It wasn't without problems though. We tried going 64-bit but we ran into a brick wall when his SSL Duende only had 32-bit drivers. Tough luck.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline hoy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
Firewire interfaces are not necessarily bad. Most likely you had an incompatible firewire chipset. That's why I stress greatly the need to research in depth on compatibility prior to purchasing audio gear. As an example, I recommended to my good friend, marvinq, an Asus P5B Deluxe for his DAW build a couple of years ago. I know that top of the line Asus boards usually come with TI firewire chipsets, and Marvin has been using onboard firewire with his Liquidmix without problems. It's when he got his Fireface 800 that we had to scramble around for a good FW expansion card, still with TI chips. It wasn't without problems though. We tried going 64-bit but we ran into a brick wall when his SSL Duende only had 32-bit drivers. Tough luck.

nosebleed ako :-D :-D :-D

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
help me to  decide which of the two,
delta 1010 or tascam 1082?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
I like the Tascam... there's nothing like real moving faders especially during mixing. It is around 5 yrs old, though.

The 1010 is a solid performer, but remember that it's pci. Present day computers usually present you with only 2 or 3 pci slots and one of the most basic tenets of DAWs is that your pci soundcard should have it's own IRQ as much as possible. Modern mobos can present a minor problem in this regard. One more problem with the 1010 is that it is more than 10 yrs old. In the realm of electronic gear, it is nearing EOL (or should be past that if we regard 5 yrs as standard electronic gear lifetime).

Why these 2 gear? You can choose more current gear which usually have surmounted protocol problems. For example, the dreaded Via firewire chipset seems to have been cleared by RME for use with their FW interfaces.

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
I like the Tascam... there's nothing like real moving faders especially during mixing. It is around 5 yrs old, though.

The 1010 is a solid performer, but remember that it's pci. Present day computers usually present you with only 2 or 3 pci slots and one of the most basic tenets of DAWs is that your pci soundcard should have it's own IRQ as much as possible. Modern mobos can present a minor problem in this regard. One more problem with the 1010 is that it is more than 10 yrs old. In the realm of electronic gear, it is nearing EOL (or should be past that if we regard 5 yrs as standard electronic gear lifetime).

Why these 2 gear? You can choose more current gear which usually have surmounted protocol problems. For example, the dreaded Via firewire chipset seems to have been cleared by RME for use with their FW interfaces.
'Coz these are the available units at pro audio classified that fits my budget ha ha ha..
neway i have hercules 16/12 firewire interface w/c i can't make it work with my laptop, maybe you can help me sir kitc he he..
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:12:48 PM by sonuhj »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
'Coz these are the available units at pro audio classified that fits my budget ha ha ha..
neway i have hercules 16/12 firewire interface w/c i can't make it work with my laptop, maybe you can help me sir kitc he he..

Are you using the laptop's firewire port? You can always get an expansion slot firewire card if the onboard FW craps out with your phonic.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 02:38:40 AM »
M-audio delta 1010lt can make your dreams come true. haha! seryoso, mas malaki pa problema ko sa noisy mic cables kesa sa soundcard na yan. Yan ang Lebron James ng mga PCI interface! (you can disagree kung iba idol mo. haha!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:41:49 AM by LouieAzcona »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:09 AM »
M-audio delta 1010lt can make your dreams come true. haha! seryoso, mas malaki pa problema ko sa noisy mic cables kesa sa soundcard na yan. Yan ang Lebron James ng mga PCI interface! (you can disagree kung iba idol mo. haha!)

Emen kapatid.

Tapos if you want to expand bili ka lang ng isa pa. So flexible :-D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »
Are you using the laptop's firewire port? You can always get an expansion slot firewire card if the onboard FW craps out with your phonic.
yes sir kitc im using my laptop's firewire port,i,ll try that sir kitc..
meron ba sa cdr king firewire card?
ano difference ng delta 1010 to 1010lt?with regards to sound quality etc..?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:34:55 PM by sonuhj »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
yes sir kitc im using my laptop's firewire port,i,ll try that sir kitc..
meron ba sa cdr king firewire card?

Cdrking is the, uhmmm, king of cheap hardware and writable media. You get what you pay for. For firewire cards, I suggest looking elsewhere. Name brands such as Belkin and SIIG are preferable over generic cards if you want less headaches with your gear. BTW, since you're using a laptop, I don't think the 1010 will work with that machine.  :|

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:54:51 AM »
Cdrking is the, uhmmm, king of cheap hardware and writable media. You get what you pay for. For firewire cards, I suggest looking elsewhere. Name brands such as Belkin and SIIG are preferable over generic cards if you want less headaches with your gear. BTW, since you're using a laptop, I don't think the 1010 will work with that machine.  :|
oops sorry, i forgot to mention that im planning to use desktop pc for the delta 1010,my bad...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:35:59 AM by sonuhj »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
oops sorry i didn't mention that im planning to use desktop pc for the delta 1010,my bad..

Choose your desktop wisely. Some current mobos only come with 2 pci slots making the chance of getting a free IRQ a 50% probability, or none at all. That's why I prefer building my own pc, I get to choose the right components.

Offline nepz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
Choose your desktop wisely. Some current mobos only come with 2 pci slots making the chance of getting a free IRQ a 50% probability, or none at all. That's why I prefer building my own pc, I get to choose the right components.

Sir KitC, I'm a newbee but i got a lot of materials to record including some of my friends.
I am from the far south of the country, (malapit sa maguindanao-lol) and accessing to some
gears can be VERY difficult.  You mentioned building your own PC, if your endulgence will permit
can you list down your specs or maybe the brand and model of the hardware itself.
WALANG NAGRERECORD KASI DITO SA AMIN, WALA AKONG MAPAGTANUNGAN OR COMPARISON
MAN LANG. SALAMAT

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
I know there are some good studios in davao. For gear, you only have to go to Cebu... I think Audiophile and JB have branches there.

Choose the soundcard first then build your computer around that. In general, you can't go wrong with Asus motherboards, but this applies to their mid to higher range boards. If you can afford the X58/i7 combination, go for it and load it up with at least 6 gigs of ram. Alternative is to go core i5 with their P55 chipset. My experience with Asus has been overall good considering I have 2 very satisfied 'customers', Gerard and Marvin.  :-D

Then again, you could go MSI like I did, but I did my homework with this one. MSI has been good to me for DAW use, although my previous P35 blew a small chip when I overloaded the usb. That mobo probably still works although video seems to be dead... I figure I need a vidcard powered by the PSU but that would be a rather expensive experiment at this time. (I need a new vidcard though... this new game I have is making my existing card gasp for air, but my procie isn't even breaking a sweat).

Offline nepz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
thanks kitc, i also heared that there's in davao but its a 5 hour ride from me.
all im doing is read read read and read, without seeing the actual set up.
and im bothered also and hesitant to buy a thing because in the first place
i lack technical knowledge on this craft plus the models of pc and peripherals
can be obsolete in no time.  but if you can fill in on this, ill be very very glad.

is this a motherboard?-core i5 with their P55 chipset.
sound card?______________
other peripherals/accessories?___________

Most often than not, this is the nightmare of being not a computer savvy, im a banker by
profession and a musician by heart with a low budget hahahahahahahaha.
My great appreciation to you sir for sharing your invaluable knowledge. GOD Bless you bro.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:40:08 PM by nepz »

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »
so does this mean that the specs of the pc i mentioned, is not good enough for the 1010?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »
so does this mean that the specs of the pc i mentioned, is not good enough for the 1010?

The processor is pwede na but I have problems with the motherboard. For one, it has onboard video and this has been problematic in the past. 2nd, only 2 pci slots and 2 ram slots... could be problematic if you want to add expansion cards and more ram. 3rd, no onboard firewire (an option for most, really) so you will be forced to get an expansion card in case you have to use firewire, which leads us to...

Those 2 pci slots. If using the 1010 plus a firewire card, you already use up the 2 pci slots. That's why I prefer selecting parts myself.

Offline sonuhj

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
thanks sir kitc...
hirap talaga pag low budget he he..ipon muna for a much better pc ha ha..

Offline RazrX

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
Hello! May alam kayo na mabibilihan ng Siig IEEE 1394a Pcie Card sa Manila Area? Second choice ko na lang kasi ang pagbili ng MoBo kung sakali na wala talaga mabilihan nun.  :-D