hulika

Author Topic: Mastodon - Blood Mountain  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
« on: September 17, 2006, 02:26:04 AM »

Track List

1. "The Wolf Is Loose" – 3:34
   2. "Crystal Skull" (Feat. Scott Kelly) – 3:27
   3. "The Sleeping Giant" – 5:36
   4. "Capillarian Crest" – 4:25
   5. "Circle of the Cysquatch" – 3:19
   6. "Bladecatcher" – 3:20
   7. "Colony of Birchmen" (Feat. Joshua Homme) – 4:19
   8. "Hunters of the Sky" – 3:52
   9. "Hand of Stone" – 3:30
  10. "This Mortal Soil" – 5:00
  11. "Siberian Divide" (Feat. Cedric Bixler-Zavala) – 5:32
  12. "Pendulous Skin" (Feat. Isaiah Ikey Owens) – 22:15

Mastodon continue their sprint to the top of the metal heap with Blood Mountain--their follow-up to the epic retelling of Moby [sausage] in the breakthrough album Leviathan.  

The band has traded the water theme with earth and the wilderness. This too is a concept album regarding an individual's struggle with trying to deliver a crystal skull to what's called blood mountain.  He goes against preternatural creatures (Circle of the Cysquatch, Colony of The Birchmen), nature, and self-cannibalism (Siberian Divide).  It's a very tight thematic thread.

The performances on the album is the other half of why people follow this band.  If you like hardcore, stoner metal, and progressive metal, there would be chances that you'd enjoy this one.  The group brings the narrative to life with labyrinthine riffs and passages.  The time signature changes every few seconds, it's dizzying and amazing to figure out whether their switching from 6/8 to 7/4 to 5/8, etc. in a span of 30 seconds.  Brann Dailor is amazing to listen to, most of it very jazz-influenced (I'm talking Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa-style).  I can't wait to see his drumset with the Randy Rhoads polka-dot design on tour.  Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher intertwine their guitar parts so much, they remind me of strands of ivy climbing up a wall.  Troy Sanders's basswork is just as intense keeping up with all the ruckus going on and keeping it all together.  The vocals by everyone not playing drums puts some sense of variety in style, almost at times a call-and-response.  It's been a staple of the band that continues to this day.

This time around, there are some guests in tow with Cedric from The Mars Volta, Scott from Neurosis, and the equally awesome Josh Homme from Queens of The Stone Age each delivering punch to backup vocals on various points of the album.  Isiah Owens (of Mars Volta) also contributes some keyboard parts as well.

This band is poised to take it all.  The momentum of Leviathan has prepared these guys to garner even more fans with this record.  The complexity in storyline and instrumental prowess and strong guest appearances makes this album easily one of my best record purchases this year.  It's a 5/5 for me.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:58:16 AM »
Marami akong naririnig na positibo at maganda tungkol sa album na ito. Ma-download nga.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:16:31 AM »
I was blown away by their performance last night at The Showbox.

Tang na...astig yung mga instrumental compositions nila.  Pag i-mix mo ang Rush tsaka konting hardcore, yun na yun.  They barely switched instruments in spite of the rack of guitars and basses that were stocked on the side.

The opening band, Converge was also good.  They had the audience making up a really wide circle pit to mosh.

Offline the_weapon_they_fear

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:56:44 AM »
ISIS tol!!!
Free Vegetarian Starter Kits:
www.GoVeg.com

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:01:44 PM »
Quote from: the_weapon_they_fear
ISIS tol!!!

Panopticon is           \m/(><)\m/

You can take Isis and I'll raise you with some Boris.  Their stuff is face-melting!

Offline shavo06

• Netizen Level
Re: Mastodon - Blood Mountain
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
sobrang galing ng bandang to, spottan nyo mga videos nila sa youtube! sobrang galing ng drummer! pakinggan nyo yung kantang "blood and thunder", first track ng Leviathan na album nila. spottan niyo yung intro, sobrang galing ng pasok ng drums! hehehe wala lang. aliw sobra!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
Boris... oh yeah. Ear-piercing rawness.

Gotta try some Mastodon.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:50 AM »
meron ako DVD nila.  may parts na nabobore ako.  pero ayos pa din

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »

This band is a breath of fresh air in metal especially brann dailor's drumming i have all their records and will buy future releases from this band

Isis is awesome cant wait to hold of their dvd

hey guys want face melting try Esoteric hehehe

thnx

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »
BTW... is Mastodon available here sa Pinas? I bought my Boris kasi from southernlord.com, and Mastodon might also be that non-commercial.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
Up until Leviathan, Mastodon's distributor was Relapse.  Blood Mountain is still with Relapse but this time is distributed by Reprise.  More likely than not, whoever does the distribution for Faith No More or The Ramones' catalogue out there should be the same record company to approach regarding asking about a local release.

Otherwise, you may have to go to Relapse's website to order.

Offline shavo06

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:26 AM »
where can you get the mastodon dvd???

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
where can you get the mastodon dvd???

At the Relapse e-store