hulika

Author Topic: Recording music you can't stand  (Read 2500 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Recording music you can't stand
« on: August 10, 2006, 10:51:18 PM »
How can you deal with this scenario?  Say you have to keep focused on the project but you simply hate the artist, the music, the material, and the music.  :P  :P  :P

Can you have good judgment working with music that sucks for you?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 12:52:11 PM »
thats gonna be hard if you run a business because that is the nature of catering to a large music clientele: you have to take care of what business you get.

luckily I don't run a business so I don't have to deal with stuff that I don't care too much for like contemporary rap - ew. old school hiphop is fine, as well as spoken word, and stuff like common or de la soul - but new rap is just plain annoying to me, and what is worse is that when you record a rap guy or "his boys" they're usually like,"Turn up the bass, man, and make sure it kickin'!" No - no kickin' because I am behind the console and that will ruin the mix. so sit down, shut up or get out.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »
it's a matter of being professional.  if the music is something that u simply don't like, there's just no turning back since u accepted their business in the first place.  but if their music is something that offends your moral/religious/political beliefs then i guess the best thing to do is to hang on to that studio policy (im assuming u have one) and respectfully recommend them to another studio instead.

like i said (in another thread), u can create a studio policy discussing the following points:

payment method
data storage
prohibited substances
lyrical content
etc...
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »
About 8 years ago, kumpare came to me with some of his compositions. At that time, his compositions were recorded using a portasound and the lyrics were of a novelty kind. At that time, I was regularly jammin' with my barkada band to tunes of Extreme, Mr. Big and Collective Soul and suddenly getting a job like this seemed like a step in the not-so-right direction.

Fortunately, my kumpare said the one thing that made that particular project fun... "Do what you like with it." I was free to add, delete, change, and rearrange. I ended up rearranging 3 of his songs and produced some others when we re-tracked the vocals.

The thing here is to try and give up something that we all have in varying amounts: PREJUDICE. Once I was able to objectively listen to a particular song or arrangement, I was able to lock on to what it needed and how it should sound like. Prejudice is like a broadband jammer that fills the spectrum with noise and prevents you from locking on to your objectives.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »
Quote from: KitC
About 8 years ago, kumpare came to me with some of his compositions. At that time, his compositions were recorded using a portasound and the lyrics were of a novelty kind. At that time, I was regularly jammin' with my barkada band to tunes of Extreme, Mr. Big and Collective Soul and suddenly getting a job like this seemed like a step in the not-so-right direction.

Fortunately, my kumpare said the one thing that made that particular project fun... "Do what you like with it." I was free to add, delete, change, and rearrange. I ended up rearranging 3 of his songs and produced some others when we re-tracked the vocals.

The thing here is to try and give up something that we all have in varying amounts: PREJUDICE. Once I was able to objectively listen to a particular song or arrangement, I was able to lock on to what it needed and how it should sound like. Prejudice is like a broadband jammer that fills the spectrum with noise and prevents you from locking on to your objectives.

sure, everyone has prejudice to some extent; its a part of socialization. as such, it is for the greater benefit to try every mixing project at least a few times to see how you feel about it. afterall, your job and skills as an engineer is a sum of all your experiences, good AND band. however, it would be stupid to talk about something and project a dislike for it without ample experience, exposure, and deeper consideration. in my case, I have worked with contemporary rap - several times - and as much as I want to give it room and like it; I can't. I know what mixing in that genre entails because I basically hear how people listen to it on the way to school and work everyday: bass, a LOT of thumping sub-bass. so, as much additional experience working more with contemporary rap would provide, I just simply avoid it because I would rather not have a LOT of experience mixing the genre than have a lot of projects having to do with it while having a distaste for the work I am doing. Personally, I'd rather be happy and enjoy what I do than do what I do and not like it. The exposure I have had to the genre is enough to let me know how I feel about it.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
abyss,

I know what you mean about the difference between rap now and how it was several years back. My work makes me deal with a wide range of music and I have right now, 10 cd's of Universal's music starting from 1986 all the way to 2004. The difference in the way rap has 'progressed' is startling. While I'm one for free expression and all, this gangsta rap thing just went off in the wrong direction with all it's references to misogyny and violence. Proponents will say that its a fact of life and that's how it is, but my take on it is... it doesn't have to be that way.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »
yeah, you are right, however the fight for forward thinking hip hop is still very much underground and is only starting to make its presence - and influence - known in mainstream media. people like the grit of gansta rap; heck, the fact that it sells millions and sensationalizes gold "grills" is enough to tell people this is fact. thing is, it has a strong tendency to sell the wrong idea to kids who might follow this to be gospel, shall we say. oh well...

Offline deedee91874

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Recording music you can't stand
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:37:20 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
How can you deal with this scenario?  Say you have to keep focused on the project but you simply hate the artist, the music, the material, and the music.  :P  :P  :P

i don't know kung tama ang isasagot ko. pero actually if you own or do recording dapat talaga music lover ka. any kind of music actually. in my case i have a rock band pero sa recording mas type ko actually ung ibang music eh. ex. ng mga clients ko are soloist na sopranos at tenors. meron din akong rinecord na 8 voice harmony with 1 guitar. nag record na din ako ng grand piano with solo flutist. tapos i did a project para sa isang school na religous ang songs. and actually i enjoyed it.

kaso tanung mo eh ung song you hate eh no? well siguro since nandyan ka talaga sa work na ganyan you have to be profesional or pwede mo siguro tangihan at sabihin na di mo kabisado ang music nila and tell them na baka di ikaw ang best person o studio na gumawa nung music na iyon.

pero ako i really enjoyed recording other kinds of music. parang ang dating sa akin eh from WAR (rock) to peace (clasical, kundiman, musical)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:55:00 AM »
Quote from: deedee91874

i don't know kung tama ang isasagot ko. pero actually if you own or do recording dapat talaga music lover ka. any kind of music actually. in my case i have a rock band pero sa recording mas type ko actually ung ibang music eh. ex. ng mga clients ko are soloist na sopranos at tenors. meron din akong rinecord na 8 voice harmony with 1 guitar. nag record na din ako ng grand piano with solo flutist. tapos i did a project para sa isang school na religous ang songs. and actually i enjoyed it.

kaso tanung mo eh ung song you hate eh no? well siguro since nandyan ka talaga sa work na ganyan you have to be profesional or pwede mo siguro tangihan at sabihin na di mo kabisado ang music nila and tell them na baka di ikaw ang best person o studio na gumawa nung music na iyon.

pero ako i really enjoyed recording other kinds of music. parang ang dating sa akin eh from WAR (rock) to peace (clasical, kundiman, musical)

pareho yan sa ganito na way of thinking: just because I say I like eating - the very act of eating, because it gives me pleasure, enjoyment, and whatever else - does not mean I will eat anything just because I happen to like eating. ever hear of shooting yourself in the foot with a blanket idea? analogously, just because I like food doesn't mean I can say, without a doubt, that I will like and love any kind of food. travelling has shown me that what we consider a delicacy is gross in some parts of the western world but there is also stuff they eat - and this goes for other parts of europe and asia as well - that is enough to make me gag because I never really simply thought that that was edible at all, much less a delicacy!

now, just like working with other genres of music, I will try anything once (or several times) just to give it the benefit of the doubt because, heck, it might taste good. I am a staunch believer in having varied experiences but there are genres that I just don't like; I am entitled to it because I am human and most people have preferences. but as far as the food analogy goes, there are things, animals, objects, and concoctions that are just plain weird, gross, nasty to even think about eating. if you ever get a chance to visit Thailand's open air markets, taiwan's midnight markets, and Vietnam's local "exotic delicacies," try tasting what you see but don't ask what it is.

Offline deedee91874

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Quote from: deedee91874

pareho yan sa ganito na way of thinking: just because I say I like eating - the very act of eating, because it gives me pleasure, enjoyment, and whatever else - does not mean I will eat anything just because I happen to like eating. ever hear of shooting yourself in the foot with a blanket idea? analogously, just because I like food doesn't mean I can say, without a doubt, that I will like and love any kind of food. travelling has shown me that what we consider a delicacy is gross in some parts of the western world but there is also stuff they eat - and this goes for other parts of europe and asia as well - that is enough to make me gag because I never really simply thought that that was edible at all, much less a delicacy!

now, just like working with other genres of music, I will try anything once (or several times) just to give it the benefit of the doubt because, heck, it might taste good. I am a staunch believer in having varied experiences but there are genres that I just don't like; I am entitled to it because I am human and most people have preferences. but as far as the food analogy goes, there are things, animals, objects, and concoctions that are just plain weird, gross, nasty to even think about eating. if you ever get a chance to visit Thailand's open air markets, taiwan's midnight markets, and Vietnam's local "exotic delicacies," try tasting what you see but don't ask what it is.

ah ok sir tanung ko nga sa sarili kung tama ang sagot ko.

sabi ko nga eh pwede naman tumangi at sabihin di mo kabisado ung music. just shared my idea.

just like saying din na nakunaku kaaway ng tyan ko yan thank you.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
yeah, natural naman yung mga idea mo kase dapat you have varied influences and experiences which is why it is even more important to not pass judgement on mixing any music without having tried it a few times to make sure you really have experienced the situation for yourself. at least there, you have a basis to speak of for yourself based on YOUR experiences and can give a good opinion of it to others.

I am always for exposure - good or bad - because they can only make you a better engineer and producer.

Offline deedee91874

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 01:49:45 PM »
yups. well said.