hulika

Author Topic: pimpin' my greco flying v ('67 gibson flying v/ michael shenker copy)  (Read 2679 times)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
so i opened up my greco V and discovered the messy re-wiring/re-soldering of (could be) replacement pots and caps...and now thinking about overhauling the whole thing with newer pots and caps and whatever you can put in there to pimp it up...in short im gonna make it into my first project guitar.

could you guys suggest potentiometer and capacitor values and brands to make this a really nice sounding/pimped up guitar? (i TRY to play bluesy rock up to some mastodon-ish metal)

btw, im keeping the pickups that came with it (screamin 82's)

PLEASE PHILMUSIC! PIMP MY V!
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: pimpin' my greco flying v ('67 gibson flying v/ michael shenker copy)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »
Just the usual values, imo.. pero get decent quality parts..

500k CTS or Alpha pots for volume and tone..
.047uF 600V orange drop capacitor

kung splittable yung pickups mo, get a push/pull [ptentiometer para pwede mo iwire for coil split

i think ok na yan..  :-)

most of them, you can get from www.epektos.com.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
did it! upgraded to 500K CTS pots! kept the stock greco screamin' 82s....plugged it and...err...i found it a little "toned down" compared to my all stock 80's yamaha sg1000. maybe its the chrome covers. maybe the 82s' pickup poles need some adjustment...anyway, i researched a bit on the '82s and found out that they are ceramic...could this be the problem with the low/toned down output? should i  go alnico?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
did it! upgraded to 500K CTS pots! kept the stock greco screamin' 82s....plugged it and...err...i found it a little "toned down" compared to my all stock 80's yamaha sg1000. maybe its the chrome covers. maybe the 82s' pickup poles need some adjustment...anyway, i researched a bit on the '82s and found out that they are ceramic...could this be the problem with the low/toned down output? should i  go alnico?

try raising the pickup height, not the poles.. i mean, mamaya na yung poles.. try mo muna iraise yung pickup height..  :-)

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
its pretty high already. maybe its the ceramic magnets of the '82s.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
its pretty high already. maybe its the ceramic magnets of the '82s.

how about the capacitor? what capacitor did you use?..

Offline niko062

how about the capacitor? what capacitor did you use?..

actually kung gusto nyo pataasin yung output level wala maidadagdag yung capacitors eh.. parang trebble taper lang ang capacitors so pag asa 10 yung tone knob parang naka bypass yung capacitor. hope i helped. cheers!!

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
i stuck with the capacitor that came with the guitar when i got it (i dunno if its stock or not but it had the correct value based on a website i saw)

anyway...i fiddled with the pickup poles of the stock greco screamin' 82s and i think i got it to sound "good"...though, im still itching on upgrading up to something alnico.

btw, i opened up my other V guitar (an aria pro ii), and the pickup has an "MMK 45" stamped on it. i remember this guitar sounding really good for high gain...and researched that its not alnico too...thinking of putting it on my greco v

Offline niko062

i stuck with the capacitor that came with the guitar when i got it (i dunno if its stock or not but it had the correct value based on a website i saw)

anyway...i fiddled with the pickup poles of the stock greco screamin' 82s and i think i got it to sound "good"...though, im still itching on upgrading up to something alnico.

btw, i opened up my other V guitar (an aria pro ii), and the pickup has an "MMK 45" stamped on it. i remember this guitar sounding really good for high gain...and researched that its not alnico too...thinking of putting it on my greco v

Kung gusto mo ng alnico try something with alnico II magnets, kung stock yung pickups ni Shenker it means PAF pickups yun. Magaganda alnico pro II ng seymour duncan, pati yung slash signature pwede yun. vintage style pickups is the way to go IMO. Happy pick up hunting, cheers!! üüü :mrgreen:

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
yeah the pickups that the greco V came with when i got it where screamin' 82s...i researched a little and learned they were ceramic...and i thought they don't sound "alive" especially on clean and low gain setting...

im into the PAF-like tone too....looking at those seymour duncan seth lovers :)

Offline niko062

yeah the pickups that the greco V came with when i got it where screamin' 82s...i researched a little and learned they were ceramic...and i thought they don't sound "alive" especially on clean and low gain setting...

im into the PAF-like tone too....looking at those seymour duncan seth lovers :)

They sound really good, at one point i had an 80's gibson explorer (which i had to sell unfortunately) that had duncan Seth Lovers in it.
That explorer sounded really organic and articulate. Ingat lang kasi ndi wax potted yung duncan Seth, so i before selling the explorer i fitted it with alnico PAF pro II. It's a little bit more expensive but it can take a bit more gain without squealing like a pig haha.. so try out some pick-ups. You can also try the '57 classic from Gibson, they sound really good and chunky, but alive and open specially on the lower gain/cleaner tones.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
yeah the problem with the 57's is...mahirap makakita locally hehe

Offline niko062

ah ganun ba.. so try the duncan alnico pro II, you'll be surprised they sound really good. :mrgreen:

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
57s tlaga ang the best pra sken pero interesting din ang mga seth lovers, plano ko din kumuha nun for my LP eh. I got to try one, nice clean tone sha na lively ang tone.

Jm - go boutique na men heheh merun wolfetone dr.Vs na bnebenta sa forums heheh

Offline niko062

57s tlaga ang the best pra sken pero interesting din ang mga seth lovers, plano ko din kumuha nun for my LP eh. I got to try one, nice clean tone sha na lively ang tone.

Jm - go boutique na men heheh merun wolfetone dr.Vs na bnebenta sa forums heheh

sayang ndi nga lang wax potted ang Seth Lovers.. :x

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
sayang ndi nga lang wax potted ang Seth Lovers.. :x

Un nga lang pero ok na din, or try the antiquities pwede din yun hehe

Offline niko062

Un nga lang pero ok na din, or try the antiquities pwede din yun hehe

i say go '57 classics, not too expensive for a vintage sounding, wax potted humbuckers.

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
i say go '57 classics, not too expensive for a vintage sounding, wax potted humbuckers.

correct - order n lang sa mga philmusic memers or wait for the second hand market.

I have 57s in two ofmy guitars and its the best

57s din ba nasa LP trad mo?

Offline niko062

correct - order n lang sa mga philmusic memers or wait for the second hand market.

I have 57s in two ofmy guitars and its the best

57s din ba nasa LP trad mo?

:-D yep, it's one of the main reasons why i went with the Traditional rather than the Standard.

yung '57 plus sa bridge ang sarap ng kagat, parang may extra edge pero ndi overkill yung trebble response.. kudos sa PUP's mo. :-P

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
russel...este...scofield...penge link

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-57-Classic-Plus-Pickup?sku=306012

as requested maestro  :-D

check mo n lang din classifieds for the shipping people hehe