hulika

Author Topic: QWERTY Phones vs IPHONE  (Read 2655 times)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
QWERTY Phones vs IPHONE
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
I'm switching to it. Probably a used Nokia E63.
How's the learning curve?
Reliability?
Any bugs on this unit?

As for the Iphone, is this hard to use? breaks easily?

Pros and cons please.
New user here. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
T
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:42:41 PM by turiguiliano »
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
Re: QWERTY Phones vs IPHONE
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »
i really don't like the layout of nokia qwerty's. plus the menu system is so..... meh. i'm an iphone 3g user for almost 2years now and i probably own one of the most battered iphones ever. i don't really take much care of any celphone as much as i do my guitars and camera. the phone has been spilled on with beer, left out on a table during a drizzle, dropped on concrete pavements, etc. touch screen still works ok. has a few scratches though (i don't use screen/body protectors) you'll prolly spend the first 2weeks fiddling with how to properly touch the keys for sms. but it's pretty straight forward. one touch access to the basics (ipod, sms, camera, gallery). downside is that you have to use itunes to manage the phone. one last thing.. Apple Touchscreen > all.

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
best thing about about the iPhone: landscape QWERTY keyboard. makes texting so much easier and that much faster.

and yes, unless you put it inside a blender, it pretty much is VERY reliable. Apple products i've tried (Mini, Nano, iPhone) withstood "acceptable" day to day abuse, and that's saying a lot.

the shift from alpha numeric keypad to QWERTY touchscreen wasn't hard at all, again because of the landscaped keyboard that the iPhone has. I've tried a few QWERTY keypads and what makes them difficult is the small keys.

biggest CON of the iPhone: the camera sucks.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
haven't tried the Nokia E63 but i'm using a Nokia E72.  it's my first time to use a QWERTY phone and it took me about three weeks of continued usage to get used to the keys.

if you're looking for a business phone, go for the E-series.  if you're looking for the apps, go for the iPhone. 

i also heard that iPhones run out of battery pretty quickly because it has loads of apps.  but this is just second-hand info i'm sharing.  i haven't owned one and probably will never.  i want my phone separate from the apps.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
para sakin,if only the sony ericsson p990 were faster and supported bigger memory....it would probably be the best smartphone ever

its like a pc made much smaller with combined touchscreen and physical keyboard,basta lahat ng kailangan mo meron

what i like most about it is it has all the office applications and even a PDF reader

its battery has never let me down yet

yes the usual caller/texter would not appreciate this phone...

but an entepeneur like myself could definately benefit from all its functionality

yun nga lang...SLOW kase eh saka upgrading its software has many issues...

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
The only major diff between a touch screen phone and any buttoned phone is that you can text better while driving with a buttoned phone.  Otherwise, learning curve, usability, etc is something one can get accustomed to.

Other than than, I think the iPhone has an edge in fun and its interface. E63 has an edge in cost.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
The only major diff between a touch screen phone and any buttoned phone is that you can text better while driving with a buttoned phone.  Otherwise, learning curve, usability, etc is something one can get accustomed to.

Other than than, I think the iPhone has an edge in fun and its interface. E63 has an edge in cost.

This. 7k used. can't beat that price. And one of the reasons why I am getting a qwerty phone is coz...the screen is bigger. And I just realized that touch screen phones will break on me.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
This. 7k used. can't beat that price. And one of the reasons why I am getting a qwerty phone is coz...the screen is bigger. And I just realized that touch screen phones will break on me.

Just got meself an previously-owned E63. If I had the chance though, yung E71 yung kunin ko. It has HSDPA and GPS.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
Turi,

re: E-series phone...

+ If you text a lot, a QWERTY keypad is the fastest there is, assuming you have two hands or thumbs free. I use an older E61i which has bigger keys than the newer E-series. The latter may be harder to use.
+ supposed to have blackberry mode, if you need to access your e-mail a lot
+ if you 've left the phone somewhere, you can text it to lock it

- harder to txt with one hand while driving
- wifi and internet browsing on such a small screen is effing useless.
- average picture clarity
- music is saved in mono
- primitive spreadsheet capability
- pdf reader not too useful; you have to zoom in to make part of a page readable

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »
O2 xda serra...
love the simplicity....

you guys know where i could find a brand new unit?
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

"Its better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
I'm switching to it. Probably a used Nokia E63.
How's the learning curve?
Reliability?
Any bugs on this unit?

As for the Iphone, is this hard to use? breaks easily?

Pros and cons please.
New user here. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
T

did try qwerty phones, not my type.

my iphone pretty much does everything i want. text, call, music, organizer, games, pictures, movies. more apps pa for different uses.

i also use it for internet purposes when im lazy to turn on the pc.

i have big hands and typing is still easy (you just need to practice). and this phone is sturdy as a rock. ilang beses na nahulog kayang kaya. search mo sa youtube iphone stress test.

OT: ako yung bumili ng samsung SGH-U800 mo sa bonifacio high street. bait nitong si turi!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:20 PM »
i tried typing with an iphone. difficult to type for me. i'd frequently press the wrong button.

learning curve was ok when i started using an e71. i can't text while driving.. but i can live with that.

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »
i tried typing with an iphone. difficult to type for me. i'd frequently press the wrong button.

learning curve was ok when i started using an e71. i can't text while driving.. but i can live with that.

Same here. I had to bend my thumb at an awkward angle to type on the iPhone and the 5530XM. Sa e63 naman, it came naturally lang. I don't know if it's because I had a QWERTY phone a long long time ago(a 5510) pero mas nadalian lang talaga ako with the e63.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »
yes its awkward at first because of the soft touch keyboard but its easy when you get used to it.

ang mas mahirap dati, hindi pa natuturn off ang english dictionary lol hirap mag tagalog nun! :-D
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »
Hirap lang ako sa iPhone ko pag nagdrive! pero i have a blackberry 9700 para katulong ng iPhone ko..  :-D
So.. pag driving at hindi makaiwaas magtxt i use my bb 9700
pag yahoo messenger may ka chat anywhere syempre bb
pero email love the iPhone! saka pag nag take down ng notes..
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:27:51 PM by juzaen »
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw