hulika

Author Topic: 98 Fender MIM..reissue?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
98 Fender MIM..reissue?
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:00:56 AM »
yesterday at works mgr luncheon our accountant brought his strat to do the bridge setup so it can be a floating type bridge..

im not very good at identifying fender strats so ill just post details on what i know of..

the guitar he said was something he won off a U2 concert raffle via a radio station(back in 1999)..so it was free..it has a fender gig bag/tools/tags and he hasnt played it since then and was just a closet instrument, the neck had to much relief and needed to be reset

when i took the strings off the ferrules just pop out and was really loose from its slot..is this normal on MIM with kluson style tuners?

the neck was thicker than most MIM's i tried before..it feels good but to what my other co-worker said its a challenge for him to play this compared to his MIA fender??

the string slots needed to be filed down

clear coat overspray

trussrod adjustment slot

stamped saddles

upon removing the neck bolts the screws were covered with wax(candle wax?) i recall ron kirn or dan of stewmac doing something like that, but i dont know if thats a stamp or what..LUPIT?

some wax on the bridge contact screws

clean wiring though!

owner also wanted a treble bleed cap for it..cause he read about it? i guess he can take it out if it doesnt work for him

nice guitar indeed, but the frets are too small for me..but it does feel great..but i would probably go MIJ than MIM between this and a MIJ

Offline ninmei

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: 98 Fender MIM..reissue?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
Those tuners need to be replaced! Overall nice guitar, lucky workmate you got there.  :lol:

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
Looks like a Classic Series 60's Stratocaster. Introduced on 1/1999.
LF: Mojo

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Looks VERY similar. Here:

http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/F60ST-BLK.htm

C-shaped neck. Check. This explains why it feels fatter than the newer MIM Standards with the thinner Modern C-Shape.
Gloss urethane finished neck. Check. Overspray? Hehe.
Rosewood fretboard with vintage frets. Check. Vintage = Thin. Hehe.
Ivory inlays. Check.
Headstock with Kluson vintage type tuners. Check.
Staggered pickup poles. Check.
Stamped saddles. Check.
Aged knobbies. Check.

More on specs:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131000302
LF: Mojo

Offline kebs

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
Just curious, were you able to fix the humongous neck relief? I've been adjusting truss rods for years now, but at times I'm still doubtful of my knowledge on the limits of truss rod adjustments, especially when I encounter guitars with too much neck relief..
時々失敗が必要

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Just curious, were you able to fix the humongous neck relief? I've been adjusting truss rods for years now, but at times I'm still doubtful of my knowledge on the limits of truss rod adjustments, especially when I encounter guitars with too much neck relief..

if you want to learn how..find Dan Erlewine's videos on setups..there are some necks you can 'reset' using clamps and a straight edge..but not always.. i was able to get the action at a 2mm fret to string distance..thats how much i got it back to where it is a comfortable playing for me..

but it aint as good feeling against my own guitars..

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
Those tuners need to be replaced! Overall nice guitar, lucky workmate you got there.  :lol:

why? those are klusons. its a RI and that adds to the mojo.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »
why? those are klusons. its a RI and that adds to the mojo.

YEAH! Keep the tuners, looks good. hehehe