hulika

Author Topic: Struggles and Solutions on Live Vocal Mixing  (Read 1372 times)

Offline manilacoke3

• Forum Fanatic
Struggles and Solutions on Live Vocal Mixing
« on: August 10, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
Hi,

First off, I'm a guitarist, I'm also the guy who does the mix on our church and though not educated about sound engineering, maarte ang tenga ko tonewise. Lately, I've been struggling on getting the vocals as transparent as possible but I'm not satisfied with the results. By the way, here's what we use live:

A Carvin C1644U - a 16-channel mixer, with GAIN, LOW, MID, MID SWEEP, and HIGH freq knobs on each channel, an also loaded with an onboard 9-band EQ.

A Behringer POWER AMP, Carvin speakers and monitors.
At wala nga pala kaming vocal comp. kaya EQ lang talaga ang solution to to smoothen out the vox.

Sa onboard EQ, I play with -2/+2 dB sa 100 to 250Hz for the fullness;
I try to keep the 500Hz to 1K freq down low dahil sobrang lata nung tunog if i keep it flat;
Then boost some 4K to 8K for vocal presence, and a few sa 12K for air.

What I noticed is may MID coloration parin sa boses nung singers/speakers (na parang may Ibanez TS808 sa chain, hehe) and medyo irritating na dahil na-cut ko na naman yung most mid frequencies.

Gusto ko sana malaman if I'm doing it right and sana yung typical vocal setup nyo narin - which frequencies to start cutting and boosting, which freqs to keep really low, or high etc. I know subjective to, pero at least I can get ideas and try to apply them kung uubra.

Thanks.
1993 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
1996 Squier Pro Tone Series Fat Strat MIK
2011 Epiphone '59 ES-335 Limited Ed. CS

Offline sl1200ltd

Re: Struggles and Solutions on Live Vocal Mixing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
what mics are you using?

Offline N1X

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:19:37 AM »
nako hirap sagutin yan. depende sa mic and speaker din kasi and at ang bottom line. yung taste pa rin ng tech o ikaw ang mag desisyon kung oki.. matututunan mo din yan habang natagal  8-)

Offline ANDRE_SL

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
+1  correct wala std setting depend sa speaker brand gamit mo at mic. Pati vocalist, ma notice mo yan bro pag iba vocalist mo change ka ulit ng EQ settings.
Vocal effects will help at least para to mask yung limitation ng speaker, mic combination mo....  kaya lang be aware of the acoustic of your church baka in the end maging muddy mix mo.
Beware din po if you cut & boost more than 7 freq sa mix mo, your overdoing it . . . .  if ganun magisip na kayo to upgrade speaker niyo and better mics

cheers