hulika

Author Topic: Big muff stopped working  (Read 764 times)

Offline johnny_jackhammers

• Veteran Member
Big muff stopped working
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
i've had this big muff nyc for almost 2 years already, and just today it stopped working. i run it through a chain of effects. powers on but no sound comes out. switch it off and it bypasses fine.

although i just got the russian muff, this is one of my favorites. i'm really bummed out.  :cry:

anyone else experience this?

what could be the cause of this wear and tear? is it the enclosure? i saw that some big muff owners rehouse their big muffs cause the enclosure gets smashed through time daw.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: Big muff stopped working
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:52:40 PM »
Before you get it fixed, open it up muna, then see if any of the wires broke off. With the symptoms you've described, it might be one wire going to the bypass switch.

Otherwise, it's a simple 4-transistor circuit, any DIY'er here on the forums can fix it.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
thanks for the advice sir.

checked it out. everything seems to be in order.

weird din, so i removed the cover, checkout out the guts. minus the bottom half, it works! when i stuck the bottom half, didn't work nanaman. strange...

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »
Before you get it fixed, open it up muna, then see if any of the wires broke off. With the symptoms you've described, it might be one wire going to the bypass switch.

Otherwise, it's a simple 4-transistor circuit, any DIY'er here on the forums can fix it.

i think you may be right. i wiggled the wire attached to the bypass switch and it worked. thanks!

baka pangit yung pagka solder at bumibigay na? saw some oxidation din, but little lang. could that be causing it din?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
i think you may be right. i wiggled the wire attached to the bypass switch and it worked. thanks!

baka pangit yung pagka solder at bumibigay na? saw some oxidation din, but little lang. could that be causing it din?

Solder does not oxidize :-D . Just have it soldered or do it yourself. :-D Make sure you use sufficient heat and make the solder "crawl" across the terminal.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633