hulika

Author Topic: I blame kpop for the youth's lack of enthusiasm to go to bars to hear live bands  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Knoy

• Forum Fanatic
don't worry Pinoy Rock will live forever...
DIE TO KPOP!!! :evil:, hahaha...

buti may Pinoy Rock Myx...

Offline nieldan

Hmm i don't think this actually affects the youth to hear live bands though. But I got to admit even I don't understand a thing Korean girl-groups are saying eye-candy galore and legs overload LMAO. Now back at the topic, from my experience I see a lot the youth, kids actually mostly highschool, in gigs by rakista.com. And it's kinda nice to see some of them in the moshpit alongside with some adults and just enjoying the music. Only thing annoying about some of them is that they don't look decent, basketball jersey and shorts with matching very rugged slippers and everyones favorite the jejecap.
+1000000000 LMFAO
KPOP ba yun? akala ko GAY-POP :-D
ako nga rin eh kala ko GAY-POP pag karinig ko. sa school na dami ako naririnig kumakanta ng pop kainis talaga mga G**O talaga yun mga yun eh. tad-tad pa ng auto-tune. P**A.

Fernandes FR-55 • 1978 Aria Pro II Les Paul • Shredhead, APW-7, DS-1 Britmod

Offline xaeroblade

• Forum Fanatic
basta matapos kong mapanuod ko ang kpop vid na to, kahit d ko naintindihan ulit sinamba ko sila e wahahaha it defined the world palong palo mga sir

Sorry kung OT just can't help it =))
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline nieldan

basta matapos kong mapanuod ko ang kpop vid na to, kahit d ko naintindihan ulit sinamba ko sila e wahahaha it defined the world palong palo mga sir

Sorry kung OT just can't help it =))

ano kaya yun. CHECK THE THREAD TITLE. then you post that [ gooey brown stuff ] HERE?!
Fernandes FR-55 • 1978 Aria Pro II Les Paul • Shredhead, APW-7, DS-1 Britmod

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
Some people aren't really into bands. Plain and simple. Some just appreciate shallow music such as KPOP.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
ano kaya yun. CHECK THE THREAD TITLE. then you post that [ gooey brown stuff ] HERE?!

puso mo sir...   :-D  yes, it may be k-pop, which none of us in this thread are a fan of, pero dahil magaganda at seksi yung ibang mga k-pop performers, minsan nagiging guilty pleasure din, kahit i-mute mo na lang ang youtube/TV/etc.  parang viva hot babes lang yan nung kakalabas lang ng "bulaklak", solb ka sa video pero mas ok kung naka-mute na lang ang TV...   :lol:

Some people aren't really into bands. Plain and simple. Some just appreciate shallow music such as KPOP.

and these are the people who ride the latest trend, yung mga nakikiuso lang.  one year they're GAS-ing up on guitars and cutting class to rehearse their favorite spongecola, kamikazee and parokya covers in the nearby studio, a couple years later they're changing their emo bangs (yes, i am aware the aforementioned bands are not emo) to '60s-style hairdos, selling their guitars and forming p-pop boy bands...   :|
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
puso mo sir...   :-D  yes, it may be k-pop, which none of us in this thread are a fan of, pero dahil magaganda at seksi yung ibang mga k-pop performers, minsan nagiging guilty pleasure din, kahit i-mute mo na lang ang youtube/TV/etc.  parang viva hot babes lang yan nung kakalabas lang ng "bulaklak", solb ka sa video pero mas ok kung naka-mute na lang ang TV...   :lol:

and these are the people who ride the latest trend, yung mga nakikiuso lang.  one year they're GAS-ing up on guitars and cutting class to rehearse their favorite spongecola, kamikazee and parokya covers in the nearby studio, a couple years later they're changing their emo bangs (yes, i am aware the aforementioned bands are not emo) to '60s-style hairdos, selling their guitars and forming p-pop boy bands...   :|

I could care less about those kinds of people. I wouldn't really appreciate them showing at gigs that I love. Parang nakakabastos na, 'Pati ba naman dito nakikiuso ka?". They should stay where they are. People who genuinely go to gigs because they love it fills my heart with hope. As long as may mga taong ganun, I have no need to worry.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline MacoySIN

A lot of genres/artists have come and go. some have stayed, some just drifted away or have been reinvented. But the common thing about them is they were always blamed for stealing the attention of the newer crowd. After a year or so there will be yet another wave of music that will cater to the younger generation. It's an endless cycle so bitching about it won't do us any good at all. Maybe it's just hard to accept that the music we came to love is not as hot anymore but that's just the way this industry evolves. And it evolves according to its environment.

The fact is, we grow old and the kids stay young.

There's no need to bash people who tried but didn't end up loving the things we do. They were just looking for something that feels right for them. Aren't we all? If they went the other way then at least somehow they have an idea how it's like to be in our place. We don't have to judge them just for wanting to experience the scene. Nobody owns it anyway and there's nothing to gain from turning these kids away. Plus its definitely not a good time to be elitist and all because the local music industry has been on life support for years.

But someone must take the blame, right?

I say we all are somewhat guilty. Of course we must take credit for our work but it would be nice to have that extra push all the time. Get some materials out, play more often, support other bands and think of new ways to charm and lure more people into the scene. The state of unsigned/independent bands/productions right now is one heck of a challenge.

From my observation, I think one of the big problems is people don't want to spend their money on bands anymore. At least locally. It's like being cheap became a trend that just won't go away. I hate to admit it but money is a factor for the music industry's growth.

If you don't buy the merchandise, then we can't improve the merchandise.

We grew fond of illegally downloading/copying music, unknowingly stealing every cent from the people who worked their asses off to come up with great products.
There is this stupid assumption that "Well, these people can afford to make albums and buy these equipment and clothes and [gooey brown stuff]. They must be rich so not paying for this one album won't hurt them at all...". If you don't know yet, most bands pay for their own expenses. Not to mention the time and effort they put into this. Literally having to go through [gooey brown stuff] just to put everything into that 250 peso cd.

250 pesos? Man, if you think this is too much to pay for, then go find someone who will make you an album for that value.
250 is equivalent to a liter of ice cream. That's how dirt cheap it is.

How about live shows? the problem is not much people show up anymore. There are even some who do show up but don't pay at all.

And if they do, what? Pay 50-100 bucks a head? Cheap? Yeah, absolutely, with a free beer. But how are you supposed to pay for a good venue/sound equipment? So we end up having to deal with less, trying to squeeze in 15-30 bands through an 8 hour show just to reach the target ticket sales. Some don't care, they just want to be there and enjoy. That's fine but I don't see growth in that. Never will.

If you pay less, then expect to see less. I'm not saying all you're gonna see are so-so bands, but you'll be snatching away the opportunities for potentially great bands who are just starting out. Because all they will ever think of this is a hobby or just some phase in their teenage life. Not knowing the future it may bring if things were just done right. We may not be millionaires or rockstars, but at least we will have better stories to tell about.

There are also countless arguments about how the so called "Pogi or Masa Rock" came into being. Yeah, their songs may be too catchy or baduy for the "musically inclined" and they may not be as "challenging" for the more technical musicians. But it would be great if you would know the work ethic and stories of these bands. You may not consider them professional enough but they are, and maybe even more dedicated to music than you are. Because there are some of them who are full time musicians, compared to some of us who are, lets say, call center agents most of the day. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because we all have our reasons and situations. Its just that there are more to these guys and credit is hardly given to them in forums such as this. Not just because you are the more marketable type, doesn't mean you are less. Also, not just because you are the most technical player, doesn't mean everybody's gonna buy you. Those things are never the artist's fault. It's simply just public demand and the need to survive as working musicians.

Bottom line is, do what you do and do it good. You always have the choice to ignore anything you don't need.

And don't waste time bitching about the Wonder Girls because I have their videos on my phone and it kills me terribly.   :-)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:24:47 AM by MacoySIN »

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
The fact is, we grow old and the kids stay young.

this.   :-D

as i said in a previous post (which i recently edited), i may not condone kids being trend-hoppers, but i understand them.  i guess that's just something we have to live with...in my teens, it was the guys forming grunge cover bands and wanting to get airplay on LA 105, which, back then was the epitome of cool, then suddenly going R&B when the pinoy rock trend hit a decline.  nowadays, it's the guys who worshipped the likes of chicosci, urbandub and the so-called "pogi rockers" not too long ago, but who are trying to look all '60s throwback (sa buhok) and imitate their favorite k-pop groups.  no, i do not support that line of thinking.  but maybe we have to remind ourselves at times...kids will be kids.  for every trend-hopping teen/tween, there will inevitably be someone their age who would find a connection with rock music to last a lifetime.

I say we all are somewhat guilty. Of course we must take credit for our work but it would be nice to have that extra push all the time. Get some materials out, play more often, support other bands and think of new ways to charm and lure more people into the scene. The state of unsigned/independent bands/productions right now is one heck of a challenge.

How about live shows? the problem is not much people show up anymore. There are even some who do show up but don't pay at all.

couldn't agree with you more.  kadalasan yung mga manonood lang sayo sa independent/underground na gig ay ang mga katropa/schoolmates/officemates nyo (usually no more than five), mga gf/bf/asawa nyo, and the other bands and their respective friends and significant others.  and oftentimes, the friends and significant others aren't that into rock music anyway.  they're just there for the moral support.  kulang talaga yung mga pumupunta sa gig dahil digs nila yung isang banda sa lineup (or maybe two, or three) o para maexpose sa mga bagong banda with the hope of hearing something really unique and/or awesome among the younger, newer bands...

We grew fond of illegally downloading/copying music, unknowingly stealing every cent from the people who worked their asses off to come up with great products.

guilty as charged.  kaya nga siguro pang-internet radio na lang muna ang rock sa pilipinas.  while i'm one of the zillions of people worldwide who would rather download than buy something, i'm trying to change that habit by downloading THEN buying something.  iba rin pag bumili ka ng CD...not only are you in possession of the original material, you're also supporting the band, especially if it's a local, indie/underground band...

If you pay less, then expect to see less. I'm not saying all you're gonna see are so-so bands, but you'll be snatching away the opportunities for potentially great bands who are just starting out. Because all they will ever think of this is a hobby or just some phase in their teenage life. Not knowing the future it may bring if things were just done right. We may not be millionaires or rockstars, but at least we will have better stories to tell about.

agree with this one as well, but since you did mention that a lot of us musicians work day jobs (or night jobs in my case and for a lot of others too), that pretty much gives us precious little time to watch live gigs.  yun ang magiging challenge natin...find the time to recapture the joy of being a fan, and not one of the participating bands.  for example, if your significant other is also into rock, then why not watch a live gig together instead of blowing your dough on yet another restaurant date?  para maiba naman, at para magpakita kayo ng support for the scene and for the bands you like. 

excellent post, sir macoy.  and to sum it up, we've got to quit whining and do something, or at the very least, minimize our whining and still do something.   :-D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:36:36 AM by Endshiftresign! »
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline IncX

i blame sucky bands, sucky prods and hostile "scenes" that drove away audiences into their homes.

1.) when was the last time you heard a random band onstage and you just had to ask for their FB cause you wanna hear more of their stuff?

2.) when was the last time you heard these so called original bands play more than 5 songs? ... i want a good band to play a real set... not a taster of whatever their set is. and cmon, all bands are not equal, prods should have the balls to make one band play 1 song, and another band 10 songs.

3.) i never feel safe going to these punk or metal gigs... while i may know people and im generally confident, there is always somebody smashing bottles on the wall or on another person's head. i go to rock shows to watch bands, and have a good time, i dont expect to fight or defend myself. and let's not forget the "gossiping" prevalent in these scenes. sheeesh... who would wanna be a part of that? i'd rather watch a Wonder Girls show... at least i wont be blocking some random jolog pile driving into my area.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:26:06 PM by IncX »

Offline paltic

• Forum Fanatic
i think it's not the stupid/crazy musical trends that are killing the band scene. we've always survived silly musical trends form gangsta hip-hop to boybands. i actually blame the ff:

1.) new radio formats(mostly [gooey brown stuff] talks, forums on air, kung hindi teenybopper love stuff or talks about relationships puro sex at kabastusan),
2.) music video channel's lack of independent artists' support (puro na lang Yeng, Kian o Sarah)
3.) and lastly the rise of the idele youth's digital convenience: a.) accessibility of mp3 technology, b.) rise of youtube-you can a watch a concert or video anytime and c.) the age/death of physical music collection (nobody buy records anymore so it follows that live bands are not that "valued" anymore because of this. imho)

im still a record buyer and i still go to bars to support sensible bands  :lol:

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
narinig ko sa radyo na magcoconcert daw ang 2ne1 ni sandara sa june 4

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
Superficiality (in the case of my statements, consumption without context) and personal tastes exist far beyond the scope of the K-Pop trend. First off, band culture is more of a context than an isolated, easily encapsulated phenomenon. Some people just aren't into bands, period. Whoever said that earlier in this thread deserves a medal. When you immerse yourself in "band culture", that gears you towards having to shoulder the burden of entering certain practices that sustain one's involvement. It takes dedication. Some people just don't see the point in that and whereas it would seem self-evident to musicians and fans of this sort of music, I can see where they're coming from. It just doesn't speak to them. Music is always something of a religious nature. Not in the traditional sense that we apotheize deities but more along the lines of us allowing music-based choices and phenomena to influence our actions and our general view of the world.

For example, anyone can buy a guitar and learn to play. Why do some of us spend on expensive amps and stompboxes? Why do we have to care about what year our equipment was made or who made them and in what factory? It's because this matters to us. Why waste money when we can download? Not because we don't have access, because we want the context with which certain facets of music culture occur in. That's one thing that sets band culture apart from K-Pop and other derivatives of commercial-grade music. It's generative, not consumer-oriented. At least not to that extent. Others listen to music because it's available, a supply to satiate a demand. The band culture mindset implies that we don't just consume music, we live it. That's what our actions seem to point towards.

It's not for everyone but there has to be at least one person in every sizeable group who'd end up playing in bands and writing music. Among the others who do, they might like types of music you don't. They might not even want to write their own material but that's them. Your preferences are yours. If you really want the local scene to flourish, be the change you want to be in the scene. Go to shows early. Bring your own equipment. You can borrow if you don't have your own. You know someone, I'm pretty sure. Bottom line is you have to be conducive to growth if you want your scene to grow. If you're a middle-class kid or at least anyone with allowance and a little disposable income for drinking sessions, drugs, dates, you should be able to sacrifice a little for what you're passionate about. I know people who go through great lengths for their craft. This may or may not include not checking into a motel for cooch, opting instead for some conveniently placed bushes and a comfortable tricycle seat.

There are kids. There are kids in that group of kids who like bands. There are kids in that group who might start bands. There are bands in that group of bands that might end up sucking but that's all relative. Well, unless you're just plain terrible. Some of them are bound to speak to you though and that's all that matters.

tl;dr

Sometimes, I think band people just look for a group of people to toss blame at so they could make themselves look more marginalized, exclusive and fashionable. Ingroup/outgroup stuff. Might not be what you think consciously but your actions will show your biases. Don't be a jerk, help your friends out if you don't want them to have bad taste or ethics. If they don't, sorry, didn't work.

OT:

Korean girls are cute. The men are a bit too androgynous for my taste tho.

/rant
Offset guitars for life.

Offline RedWinG

• Veteran Member

ilang genre ng music ang dumaan but rock and metal still exist. disco, pop, euro-pop, etc. they come and go and evolve into something else. but rock and metal will still be there for the chosen few.  :-D :-D :-D

rock n' scroll!