hulika

Author Topic: Intellectual Property / Copyright  (Read 4227 times)

Offline eLScorcho

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Intellectual Property / Copyright
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:02:32 PM »
When you look at the cover / jacket of your CD's (original), you're likely to read something like:

Unauthorised reproduction, broadcasting, and public performance of this record is prohibited by law, etc., etc.,

If we take this prohibition seriously, does it mean that we also need permission from the original artists before we do a cover of their song (even in a gig), or play their song loudly as background music in an event, etc.?

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Intellectual Property / Copyright
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 05:50:00 AM »
Quote from: eLScorcho
When you look at the cover / jacket of your CD's (original), you're likely to read something like:

Unauthorised reproduction, broadcasting, and public performance of this record is prohibited by law, etc., etc.,

If we take this prohibition seriously, does it mean that we also need permission from the original artists before we do a cover of their song (even in a gig), or play their song loudly as background music in an event, etc.?

Kaya nga dapat kapag nasa gig........palaging sasabihin ang mga katagang:

"THIS IS A COVER FROM ?????????"

Andun man o wala yung owner ng song..............i-broadcast man o hindi yung gig ninyo................the least you can do is acknowledge the owner of the song.....................It is, by the way, the very least you can do as far as respect is concern...............

Kasi sa gig when you cover a song that would mean, fan ka ng owner ng song or idol mo yung owner..............kaya i guess very little thing they gave emphasis on covers & gigs with regards to copyright law..............

About the Unauthorised:[list=1]
  • reproduction,
  • broadcasting, and
  • public performance of this record is prohibited by law, etc., etc.[/list:o]
    Basta hindi mo pinag kakakitaan, or you don't earn from broadcasting, reproduction, public performance of the song with copyright.......

Kaya yung pagpapatugtog sa garage, as long as you don't collect payment from the people who could hear from it............It is not piracy.

You can reproduce copies from the song (with copyright), as long as you don't sell it and earn from it.........It is not piracy.

Yung pagco-cover ng song (na may copyright)..........as i've said, it is a respect from the owner as long as you acknowledge the owner before your performance..............

And sa marketing law or point of view...............doing covers from gigs...........is a means of "ENDORSING" a product, so kung tutuusin sila pa ang may utang sa'yo.  That is kung in-acknowledge mo yung owner ng song.............Kasi kung hindi, ang impression kasi is that you are the owner of the song..........They might getback on you somehow.......I guess.

Offline darcy_robert

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 05:31:02 PM »
i guess that would explain.... :wink:

very well said sir emil

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 06:08:39 AM »

Yes, of course. Kung magre-revive ka ng kanta ng isang artist kailangan mong kumuha ng permiso sa kanila at kailangan mo ring magbayad ng royalty.

Offline E-C Mix Records

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »
To eLScorcho and the others who are concerned about the Intellectual Property law and Copyright law, you may log to our website at www.ecmix.com. The whole law article is there for your reference.
E-C Mix Records Production & Management
www.ecmix.com - ...Bringing You CLOSER to the DIGITAL World...
[Professional Record Production] [Digital Media Services for Audio & Visual] [Dealer/Re-seller of I.T./Computer Parts, Peripherals, & Supplies]

Offline nevermindemily

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »
Quote from: Santo Muerte
Yes, of course. Kung magre-revive ka ng kanta ng isang artist kailangan mong kumuha ng permiso sa kanila at kailangan mo ring magbayad ng royalty.

wow...so patay pala kami...hehe... :D
still insane...

Offline E-C Mix Records

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 08:13:43 PM »
If you are going to use songs that you do not own in public like gigs, backgrounds for events, or pipe-in music for hotels, bars, or malls... the establishment owner or organizer shall pay "Performance Fee" or "Performance Royalties". These public performances includes, radio, television, theatre/cinemas, concerts, events, motorcades, malls, and bars, in which are being actively monitored in the Philippines by FILSCAP (Filipino Society of Composers, Authors, & Publishers). Outside the Philippines, it is handled by other affiliates such as BMI, ASCAP, etc.

If you are going to re-record as in revive for your own album be it a non-commercial album or commercial release album indi or not, you will pay the publishers/owner of the original songs a "Mechanical License Fee".

If you are to use a song that you do not own for a movie or commercial or music video, or in other words synchronize a song to any videography, you shall pay the publisher/owner a "Synchronization License Fee".

For more reference about these and other articles log to the E-C Mix Records website at http://www.ecmix.com.
E-C Mix Records Production & Management
www.ecmix.com - ...Bringing You CLOSER to the DIGITAL World...
[Professional Record Production] [Digital Media Services for Audio & Visual] [Dealer/Re-seller of I.T./Computer Parts, Peripherals, & Supplies]

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo

Andun man o wala yung owner ng song..............i-broadcast man o hindi yung gig ninyo................the least you can do is acknowledge the owner of the song.....................It is, by the way, the very least you can do as far as respect is concern...............

Kasi sa gig when you cover a song that would mean, fan ka ng owner ng song or idol mo yung owner..............kaya i guess very little thing they gave emphasis on covers & gigs with regards to copyright law..............

• reproduction,
  • broadcasting, and
    Basta hindi mo pinag kakakitaan, or you don't earn from broadcasting, reproduction, public performance of the song with copyright.......

Kaya yung pagpapatugtog sa garage, as long as you don't collect payment from the people who could hear from it............It is not piracy.

You can reproduce copies from the song (with copyright), as long as you don't sell it and earn from it.........It is not piracy.

Yung pagco-cover ng song (na may copyright)..........as i've said, it is a respect from the owner as long as you acknowledge the owner before your performance..............

And sa marketing law or point of view...............doing covers from gigs...........is a means of "ENDORSING" a product, so kung tutuusin sila pa ang may utang sa'yo.  That is kung in-acknowledge mo yung owner ng song.............Kasi kung hindi, ang impression kasi is that you are the owner of the song..........They might getback on you somehow.......I guess.
very true! look at Paolo Santos, he feels like he was the one who composed "Moonlight Over Paris" whereas he just destroyed the song!  :twisted:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline somesabado

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:38:55 PM »
ok yung FILSCAP...
ok kung madaming moderators...
its all good...

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
Quote from: emil_murillo

• reproduction,
  • broadcasting, and

very true! look at Paolo Santos, he feels like he was the one who composed "Moonlight Over Paris" whereas he just destroyed the song!  :twisted:

Yun lng talaga ang flaw d2, look at april boy regino........... as if nobody cares......... :shock:

Offline prodigi

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 03:00:50 PM »
up ko lang 'to maganda 'to...  :D eh yung musical arrangement naman kaya di ba yun covered ng copyright? hehehe! :lol: ok sana kung may nakukuha ring royalties mga arrangers malaki rin hirap nila para pagandahin yung ibang kanta na walang kwenta eh...  :P lugi arranger tubong lugaw composer pag sumikat na kanta...  :evil:

Offline FullofEbak

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:09:29 PM »
i was watchig myx or some channel and saw a filipina singer sing skid row's i remember you and the title written when the video ends was slightly different, like i remember or i'll remember you. i was kinda pissed off coz i dont know if they deliberately changed the title.

i liked mymps cover of kylie minogue and banny marillow song, forgot the title. pero di ko alam na cover pala un. i guess kulang lang ng pagsabi na cover ang song, i guess its not imposed that much. i wonder how much money mymp had to shell out to record their albums.