hulika

Author Topic: Design your guitar+fx+amp rig with a P30,000 budget.  (Read 7456 times)

Offline wormnanor

Design your guitar+fx+amp rig with a P30,000 budget.
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »
Me sa 30k hmmmm...i dnt know kng eto tlga ang prize ha MXR Phase 90 P6.5k,Bad Monkey P4k,MXR Blue Box P6.5k, Boss Tremolo P4950...

The rest of the cash wuld be 4 a cheaper amp n cables hehehehe...
im ok wid my epi les paul special II dhan2 ko lng palitn ng humbucker yun...dats it...i think :cry:   :shock:

OT lng review sa TS7 tubescreamer n PH7 phaser ng ibanez any1 tnx... :D
Smooth Domestic Deal: Andrew o_o, xfree, Paolo Duay, CoCa, Liptone/Tonlip International, Mr. Prank_Sinatra, Alcoholicarl, Jflowers, Dual-Mono, Redhot.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

You know, bring a human weighing scale instead.  Weigh yourseld with the guitar MINUS your weight.  At least di ka masyadong mukhang [chewbacca] kesa sa kitchen scale.

BTW, if you're referring to the same guy I know, does he also bring a multitester when buying pickups?   Measures DC resistance kasi.  8K for a PAF DAPAT.  :lol:

If it were me, wala akong paki kung magmumukha akong [chewbacca] with a small kitchen scale -- no insecurities in this corner!  :lol:  

Not the same guy. But I have actually asked for a multitester in-store to check the resistance before buying myself! Kung PAF sound ang talagang hinahanap mo, dapat nga range of 8-8.5k ohms lang ang bilihin mo!  :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2006, 09:57:47 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha

You know, bring a human weighing scale instead.  Weigh yourseld with the guitar MINUS your weight.  At least di ka masyadong mukhang [chewbacca] kesa sa kitchen scale.

BTW, if you're referring to the same guy I know, does he also bring a multitester when buying pickups?   Measures DC resistance kasi.  8K for a PAF DAPAT.  :lol:

If it were me, wala akong paki kung magmumukha akong [chewbacca] with a small kitchen scale -- no insecurities in this corner!  :lol:  

Not the same guy. But I have actually asked for a multitester in-store to check the resistance before buying myself! Kung PAF sound ang talagang hinahanap mo, dapat nga range of 8-8.5k ohms lang ang bilihin mo!  :lol:

But does the 8K PAF rule really hold true?  I've heard that in some '50s Les Pauls the pickups vary much in DC resistance, some going above 9K.  But then the weight of the guitar was still the biggest factor.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2006, 10:07:40 PM »
weight of the guitar... teka, anuba: lighter weight = better tone? given that the wood is the same? i read eric johnson's interview saying he would'v wanted to keep the weight ceiling lower on his signature strats..
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2006, 08:54:31 AM »

But does the 8K PAF rule really hold true?  I've heard that in some '50s Les Pauls the pickups vary much in DC resistance, some going above 9K.  But then the weight of the guitar was still the biggest factor.

You are right -- there is a degree of variation on the 50's PAF's, some do go over 9k, some as low as 7.5k!!! And therefore there's characteristically a range of tones associated with real PAF's too -- not all exactly the same.

But when most tone nuts think of a "classic" PAF sound today, they usually mean that along with the characteristic HB warmth and body, there is some "air", clarity, detail, and reasonable highs in both pickup positions -- no mud -- in contrast to the usual hotter HB's that live in the 9-10k range as seen in most production pu's that come stock in most guitars oriented towards a more gainy humbucker sound that the larger market demands to achieve that "screaming" tone. The best sounding PAF-style pickup winders today gun for about 8.3-8.5k in the bridge and a range of about 7.5-8.0 in the neck to get that clarity -- the neck position is notoriously muddy and there are even some tonehounds who claim that 7.8k should be the cutoff for decent highs in the neck position. On average, 8.0-8.5k is a pretty safe bet overall.

Personally, I think weight has probably less to do with tone and much more to do with playability. Proof of the pudding is that there are some +/-10.5 lbs. Norlin LP's from the 70's that sound absolutely great (others that don't too, mind you), and others in the more usual 9lbs. range that are total tone dogs -- dead as a doornail. The most sought after Historics are in the 8.5lbs. range, but there are occasional dogs among those too. The principle applies to strats and teles too -- too many other factors besides just weight influence the final sound of a guitar. But weight does matter if you've gotta carry that thing around your neck all night! Try doing 3-one hour sets with a 10.7lbs goldtop and you will know what I mean! There are even some 12lbs monsters from the 70's -- that's the weight of a high school shot put!!!

So if you value your spinal cord and prefer a PAF vibe, a reasonable rule of thumb for HB equipped LP's would be to find stuff that comes close to being "in the 8's" ...... both in pickup DC resistance and overall guitar weight.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2006, 09:12:31 AM »
Quote from: spankyrigor
weight of the guitar... teka, anuba: lighter weight = better tone? given that the wood is the same? i read eric johnson's interview saying he would'v wanted to keep the weight ceiling lower on his signature strats..

Not necessarily -- please see previous post.

Also, here's a post from another forum discussing the issue of "weight relief holes" in current production LP's. It's written by a guy who works in the Gibson plant. An interesting read, but take some statements with a grain of salt -- especially the last statement:  :lol:

Sorry for the long post, but thought you might find it interesting, and can help you eventually decide for yourself.

Weight Relief Hole Hoopla

We've been sitting here watching this thread unfold for some time now and decided we would put our two cents in. Several of us having over 100 years of combined service with Gibson have been discussing this issue, here where these wonderful guitars are made, along with you guys. Each of us share the same enthusiasm for the Les Paul as you do.....maybe even more so because it has become a way of life for us.

Over the years, this discussion has been dug up from its grave and revisited many times. Its kinda amusing to hear it all over again, the same statements, passion, defensive posturing, and love for the product. So, that being said, we'll give you the inside scoop for what its worth.

Weight relief was brought about simply to utilize the limited supply of quality mahogany. We only request and purchase the highest grade of mahogany. However, when you receive truck loads of thousands of board feet at a time, some of the mahogany might not be as light as we would like. The desire to have light weight wood has nothing to do with trying to achieve a certain sound. It was intended to lighten the load up on a musicians back. Gibson's no.1 complaint in the early 70's was "these guitars rock, but are way too heavy. We listened to the consumer, and instituded the weight releif still present today in the Les Paul Standard. The mahogany on the Les Paul std and the Les Paul Reissues come from the same forests, the same trees. Most of this wood is purchased by the same guy. The wood is processed to a body "blank" size and the lightest ones get sent to the Custom Shop for use. A Reissue will have a non-weight reliefed back, and you pay a premium for the costs associated with setting those backs apart. To keep the remainder of the mahogany backs from being too heavy, weight relief holes are added. This is an extra step in the process and adds cost. We wouldnt do it unless it was necessary. All of the mahogany is High grade, on all Lp Reissues and Lp Standards......weight is the only difference.

Through the years, Gibson has learned a lot about how wood affects the tone of a guitar. Regardless of what some people say, it has been measured so many times that the proof is undeniable. There is no more tonal difference between a weight reliefed back and a solid back than there is between the respective models themselves. You can take 10 Les Paul standards and the frequency output varies a negliable amount between them. The same is true for the Les Paul Reissue. If you take the two models head to head, you'll find some that match almost identically in output frequency, and some vary. Basically, there are many factors that play into how a guitar sounds. The grain tightness of the neck, the density of the wood, the fingerboard hardness and grain structure, the pickup variances, the length of wire used to solder the pots, the type of plating, gold/nickel/chrome. All of these and more make more of a difference in sound between units, when measured, than the weight relief does.

Both the Les Paul Standard and the Les Paul Reissue are wonderful guitars that still carry the Les Paul legendary sound. Artists play both models, some prefer one over the other. Thats what makes it such a great guitar. Every one is like buying a baseball glove......you try several on, but one just seems to fit you just right.

Everyone has an opinion and some people will defend their's as the "truth" no matter what. The fact is, this issue has been settled many years ago by a guy named Les Paul. He has been very involved in all of the innovations and changes over the years to make sure that we stayed "true to the course". He played a "log" that had no body.......and it sounded great.

There are guys here that play over 100 Les Pauls a day 5 days a week. They'll tell you they all vary in sound and always will.........wood is a wonderful thing. You gotta love it........its the best guitar in the world!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
Quote from: blue buddha
But when most tone nuts think of a "classic" PAF sound today, they usually mean that along with the characteristic HB warmth and body, there is some "air", clarity, detail, and reasonable highs in both pickup positions -- no mud -- in contrast to the usual hotter HB's that live in the 9-10k range as seen in most production pu's that come stock in most guitars oriented towards a more gainy humbucker sound that the larger market demands to achieve that "screaming" tone. The best sounding PAF-style pickup winders today gun for about 8.3-8.5k in the bridge and a range of about 7.5-8.0 in the neck to get that clarity -- the neck position is notoriously muddy and there are even some tonehounds who claim that 7.8k should be the cutoff for decent highs in the neck position. On average, 8.0-8.5k is a pretty safe bet overall.

... so I did good then. I jumped on a pair of Tokai PAFs from d Buy & Sell section.  They were around 8.0 and 8.1k ohms. Both bridge and -- especially -- the neck improved my Studio Lord's tone.  Dramatic improvement in clarity and balance, wider dynamic range, tighter but big bass (more like a low piano note), and clear highs (which I like on LPs too, not just Fenders).  

With 11s, this SL LP is now my dedicated slide gtr (that's why I sold my Thinline na).  But when I tried the Tokai P90 Goldtop for slide -- WOW! ganda rin kahit naka 10s lang.  Reminded me of the S90s in my Thinline w/ HD S90s (of course it should -- S90s are supposed to sound like P90s!).  Good to know I can bring one gtr to a gig (Goldtop) and cover everything in our lineup.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2006, 09:25:05 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim

... so I did good then. I jumped on a pair of Tokai PAFs from d Buy & Sell section.  They were around 8.0 and 8.1k ohms. Both bridge and -- especially -- the neck improved my Studio Lord's tone.  Dramatic improvement in clarity and balance, wider dynamic range, tighter but big bass (more like a low piano note), and clear highs (which I like on LPs too, not just Fenders).  

With 11s, this SL LP is now my dedicated slide gtr (that's why I sold my Thinline na).  But when I tried the Tokai P90 Goldtop for slide -- WOW! ganda rin kahit naka 10s lang.  Reminded me of the S90s in my Thinline w/ HD S90s (of course it should -- S90s are supposed to sound like P90s!).  Good to know I can bring one gtr to a gig (Goldtop) and cover everything in our lineup.

You did very good on the Tokais delta!!! But as you describe and we both know, all these purchases, mods, swapping, testing, etc. of every known type of 'bucker, non-'bucker, mucker, sucker, ducker, tucker, yucker, *ucker pickup...... all lead to one singular and inescapable conclusion:..... P-90's RULE!!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »
naku kulang....

gusto ko ng Peavey Classic 30 eh. It would be my first experience with a tube amp....haaaaay
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2006, 02:59:03 PM »
squier tele, 2nd hand g2 at sd1, a champ 12 game na :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »
Squier California Strat 9k
Zoom G2 6k
Peavey Studio Pro 112 14k
Accesories yung matitira
"The Lord is my Song.."