hulika

Author Topic: may starting points ba sa eq ?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline miggysaur11

may starting points ba sa eq ?
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
just asking :) hirap na hirap padin ako intindihin eh :D may massugest kayo na books? iba iba kasi nasa internet thanks ! Godbless :)

Offline sl1200ltd

Re: may starting points ba sa eq ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »
just asking :) hirap na hirap padin ako intindihin eh :D may massugest kayo na books? iba iba kasi nasa internet thanks ! Godbless :)

The best way to use Eq is for "Cutting" (feedback) frequencies only.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:50:48 AM by sl1200ltd »

Offline stoney73

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
The best way to use Eq is for "Cutting" (feedback) frequencies only.

+1 you got it right dude.  :evil:
"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is STILL the wrong piece of gear".

Offline acdsee

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
eqs are used to cut, not boost...want more lows, decrease highs. want more highs, decrease lows...

Offline miggysaur11

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
ohhhh i seee ! so di ko tlaga kailngan mag boost ?

Offline kara

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
Look for equalization tutorials. Read some books regarding the said subject. There are ebooks, downloadable, out there that are very useful. BobKatz' Mastering audio: The Art and The Science is a way to go. I think I didn't answer your

Offline pedge22

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
I started at zero(middle) level lahat ng slides then yung mga frequencies na masyado malakas binababa ko, at yung di ko marinig na freq.. yun naman ang itinataas hanggang matimpla 'sang-ayon sa aking panlasa'. So sa tenga mo pa rin nakasalalay ang ikagaganda ng sound mo.  :-)

Offline miggysaur11

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 01:15:01 AM »
ang main problem ko mga sir ung vocals talaga :( hindi magsit in sa instruments . waaa i guess madami pa talaga kong kakaining bigas :D

Offline gmanny

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
i think just try to familiarize both the  frequencies of instruments & vocals....

Offline constantpressure

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
http://constantpressure.blogspot.com/2011/02/feedback-trainer_14.html

Sana makatulong ito...share ko lang

Magandang araw,
jojo
Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them
Those who have much are often greedy, those who have little always share...Oscar Wilde

Offline makinao

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
eqs are used to cut, not boost...want more lows, decrease highs. want more highs, decrease lows...
I disagree. Subtractive EQ is an important basic method/style that all should learn. Most newbies aren't sensitive to EQ changes, and end up not only boosting, but boosting too much in order to hear the effect. HOWEVER, EQs are designed to both cut AND boost specific frequency bands in a sound, and there are times when it is actually needed. So it should not be thrown under the bus.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
Good points there, makinao, but if I read the TS right, he wants to know specific frequencies he should adjust for a given mix.

I guess the short answer to that is... there isn't any. It all depends on how you want a mix to sound and what kind of music you're mixing. I think it's kinda weird to apply the same eq settings that you used on a death metal mix last night to the orchestral recording you're mixing today. While it's true that you can boost as well as cut, I believe the best way to explain this is: cut first, boost later. Granted that most new engineers more readily hear a boost rather than a cut, I think we should train our ears more 'to hear less'.

There is a technical explanation to cutting frequencies first. For one thing, boosting immediately often means gain on the outputs which can lead to distortion while not achieving the desired mix. In an analog mixer, we can get away with boosting (a lot) since hardware usually have sufficient headroom to accommodate the boost. With digital mixing, however, we hit a brick wall at 0 dBFS and we all know what happens when we 'try' to go above that... digital distortion (which is a whole less pleasing than the distortion we experience from analog gear).

This sort of answers why we use the mantra of 'cut first, boost later' since most new engineers are now mixing in a DAW and have no idea what it is to mix in the analog realm except when they get their hands on an analog mixer. Mixing in a computer, while technically more accurate (and this is to be a bone of contention with some people), is also unforgiving of digital overs which result in unflattering distortion. The recommended way to mix digitally is usually to cut first then boost later expressly for the purpose of avoiding flatlining at 0 dB. We can always cut offending frequencies first, then boost what we need in the latter or final stages of mixing or apply gain after eq.

We have to understand, however, that in order to hear the effects of proper eq, we absolutely need a trusted pair of monitors, a good room, and we need to have the gain staging of our equipment in proper order. What use is there in eq'ing if one part of the chain has low levels forcing you to boost frequencies needlessly or your room has a standing wave at your particular mix position? This is the reason why some amateur mixes either sound boomy or screechy.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline makinao

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Teka muna, The best "starting point" is a definition.

From http://www.recordingeq.com/glossary/glosae.htm#sectE , the ACT of equalization is:

"Equalization - Any time the amplitude of audio signals at specific set of frequencies are increased or decreased more than the signals at other audio frequencies."

From http://www.rane.com/par-e.html , the definition of the DEVICE called an equalizer is:

"EQ (equalizer) A class of electronic filters designed to augment or adjust electronic or acoustic systems. Equalizers can be fixed or adjustable, active or passive. Indeed, in the early years of telephony and cinema, the first equalizers were fixed units designed to correct for losses in the transmission and recording of audio signals. Hence, the term equalizer described electronic circuits that corrected for these losses and made the output equal to the input. Equalizers commonly modify the frequency response of the signal passing through them; that is, they modify the amplitude versus frequency characteristics. There are also fixed equalizers that modify the phase response of the transmitted signals without disturbing the frequency content. These are referred to as all-pass, phase-delay, or signal-delay equalizers."

With that out of the way, next question.......

Offline Blueberri

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
To the TS, are we talking live application ba or in mixing recordings?

anyway, if are talking recordings (well even sa live), its hard to give and take instructions on equing, because we all are working on different raw tracks. Its something you probably really need to learn on your own, there are some guidelines out there on what freq are most commonly boosted or cut on certain instruments, but again, depending on the raw sound of your track, results will vary. if you follow a guide say, boosting 3db at a certain freq for a certain instrument, but it turns out, the way you recorded, is that those freq were already boosted, you now end up with exaggerated freq on that track...

as Kitc said, it also depends on your signal chain, any effects and comps after or before your EQ will react and provide different results...

also, monitoring will be a big issue. but to start with, a simple way to learn I guess is to reference with songs you are familiar with or is similar to the track your mixing...A-B the vocal (or what ever instrument) track with your mix to get an idea of where to start with your EQs....

good luck!

Na-miss ko mag post dito ah! hehehe. Musta na Sir Kitc? I might be hanging out a bit more here these days...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
Teka muna, The best "starting point" is a definition.

Definition of what? If we are to absolutely give a starting point, assuming we are handling a graphic equalizer, then all starting points of all frequencies should be at zero dB. It doesn't matter if the eq is analog or digital, because the behaviors are more or less the same save for the fact that digital eqs are not as tolerant of going into the red zone. At it's simplest, equalization is merely adjusting the treble and bass of a particular sound. At it's worst, eq is adjusting the sliders of a graphic eq into a 'V' or smiley curve.

The point of equalization is to make a particular sound or track sit well in a mix. One of the tips I commonly give out is to put a high pass (or low cut) on every channel save for the bass guitar and kick drum so that you avoid a muddy mix. As for other tracks, it now becomes a matter of choosing which goes forward or back in the mix by making it brighter or duller. The common practice I see with most "techs" is to boost a channel or a frequency so that it becomes louder, but not necessarily better. This is usually the reason why some mixes sound 'basag' - too much boosting leading to distortion in the main outputs.

Nice to have you back, Blueberri! Feel free to spend a lot more time here.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline miggysaur11

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 01:42:03 AM »
salamat mga sir! dami ko natutunan ! :)

Offline Daudio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
here some EQ Tips and Golden Rule to start with.

31Hz       Bottom
125Hz     Boom, thump,warmth
250Hz     Fullness or mud
500Hz     Honk
1kHz       Whack
2kHz       Crunch
4kHz       Edge
8kHz       Sibilance
16kHz     Air

1. if it sound muddy, cut some at 250Hz
2. if it sound honky, cut some at500Hz
3. Cut if your trying to make things sound better.
4. Boost if your trying to make things sound different.
5. You can't boost something that's not there in the first place.