hulika

Author Topic: how are you going to influence/expose your children to music?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline dhel069

• Philmusicus Noobitus
eto tanong sa mga dads or would be dads..
syempre ang sarap isipin na one day..makakatugtugan mo
ang anak mo..(minsan mas magaling pa sayo)
pero ano nga ba ang magandang way para mai expose naten ang
mga magiging anak naten sa music..i mean bata pa lang
makakuha na sya agad ng interest na tumugtog ng gitara or
mag drums?..
Oh! My Sister!
www.ohmysister.tk

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
Re: how are you going to influence/expose your children to music?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »
i wouldnt force it. ive always had instruments (guitars/keyboards/percs) around the house for easy access. bought him a baby guitar when he was young and then a glockenspiel (yung pang marching band) all he wanted to do was make noise, so i figured the music bug skipped a generation. ayus lang...

but then as he grew older, he started listening to music na may novelty appeal sa kanya...like iron man by black sabbath, we are the robots by kraftwerk, daft punk's around the world, the gorillaz etc...yun bang may "kwela" appeal...

but then he started listening to music for its own sake...got into queen and then blur (hehe what a leap), some ac/dc, the cult etc. he's 13 so he also listens to whatever crap music kids are listening to nowadays like mcr, simple plan etc. blech. but i dont discourage him or criticize his music. i always tell him its up to you to uphold the ideals of your generation, you dont have to like or even respect my music...

but we both like kings of leon, pixies, queens of the stone age etc hehe

his mom got him started on piano lessons so i thought thats the route he was going. ayus lang. but then he started picking up the guitar as all teens do, and now he can bang out a few oasis and rolling stones tunes on it hehe. and even some stuff he just makes up. cool. i always show him some stuff but if he wants to pursue it further ill get him into lessons...

to sum it all up: i just let him get into it at his own pace. if music/music instruments are all around him/her, chances are that theyll pick it up on their own...
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
likewise man, I tend to display all the instruments in our hobby room ( i intend to put our collections together in one room)... of course I see to it that all my equipment are in place and just a press away for easy access... I feed my sons with songs that I learned and songs that I wanna inject to them subliminally without having to pay attention first or get serious about...Just influencing them is an advantage already especially while their really young.
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline dhel069

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »
hmm..pero papayagan nyo ba na magbanda ang anak nyo
at tumugtog ng mga kanta na parang di mo talaga mai digest kahit anong
gawin mo?..

for example..makita mo nalang isang araw tumutugtog na ng EMO
ang anak mo..kasama yung mga kabanda nya na ganun din?..
pipigilan mo ba sya?..

or kung galing ka sa isang pamilya na mostly classical ang pinakikinggan
then magugulat ka nalang sa kwarto nya nagpapatugtug na sya
ng slayer or mudvayne...anu magiging reaction nyo?..

na curious lang..haha
Oh! My Sister!
www.ohmysister.tk

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
gawin mo?..

pipigilan mo ba sya?..

na curious lang..haha

If I reacted negatively to that, then I'd be a hypocrite.

My dad was into surf music and instrumental stuff (Shadows, etc.), Beatles, and all that RJ-esque stuff. My mom was into the early psychedelia and older music, strangely enough. My Lolo loved playing standards on the piano, and my Lola had a passion for the old classics (late '20's to 40's). My older sister is a classic new-waver, and my younger sister is into hip-hop, metal and earlier emo - in fact, she's already recorded songs under the name of Lil Miao. I'm more into classic rock, new wave, funk and a bit of metal.

We always had at least two kinds of musical instruments in the house, and at least four different radios (and eras, ahahah) in the house.

My dad, while he annoys me with his perpetual attempts to make me go into a showband, since in his mind it is the best way, money- and fame-wise, is impressed with my band's sound, since he can hear the classical overtones of metal. He just can't get a handle on the screaming - but then, he has a hard time handling, rap, too. But he never, ever says anything really bad. He still remembers when his own dad would get pissed at him being in a band, I bet.

So there. Hating your kid for doing emo or metal is the same as your dad hating you for liking rock music in general. If you give in to that, then you're just perpetuating the cycle.

ehehehhe.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »
isang kinaiinisan ko yung sasabihan ako ng mas matanda (konti nalang sila hehe) na mas maganda/mas malalim/mas "totoo" yung musika nila nuon. hindi ko gagawin sa anak ko yun maski mag lady gaga tribute band pa siya
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:01 AM »
Ako naman yung child  :lol:, na-influence ako ng dad ko sa pag giguitar. Binili niya ako ng cheap na acoustic guitar, then hindi ko nagustuhan yung acoustic, hindi ako natuto sa acoustic. I think after 3 months, binili niya ako ng electric guitar tapos yun na, pinarinig na niya sakin yung mga Deep Purple, Led Zep, Metallica, Nirvana and many more.

Todo suporta naman ang dad ko sa banda ko  :-D

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »
gawin mo?..

pipigilan mo ba sya?..

na curious lang..haha

for me I don't mind just as long as he learn how to use his musicality...I believe giving him space and freedom to discover genres. Hey, there are generation barrier between us and our siblings so we cant really force them to dig what we listen, though some appreciate and follow the roots but music is freedom of expression and giving them freedom to choose whatever kind of music they're making is enough...we can only guide them on the music that we uncover within ourselves as with our fathers...My dad gave me that freedom, I think my sons deserve that freedom also...cheers :-)
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline pig.fly

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
 :-D
it's good to be alive!

Offline bans11

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »
I have a 5 years old son and a 2 years old daughter, my son memorize all the songs in yellow submarine and help movies by the beatles, my daughter loves the beatles RAIN song, kaya my relatives and friends are very impress, in that young age how they apprreciate those old songs, because i love 50's and 60's music, i guess nakasanayan na nila ang ganong sounds, pero i know when they get older may sari sarili na rin silang interes, but atleast I lay down the foundation na kahit paano ay tatatak na sa isip nila, and as much as possible, pinanaparinig ko rin sa kanila ang lahat ng genre like blues, ska, reggae, punk, standard, bubble gum, at least na expose sila sa ibat ibang repertoire, malay natin makagawa sila ng band na may fresh and unique sounds in the future.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:15:24 AM by bans11 »

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
my dad got me into music by playing his beatles cassettes and listening to RJ (the station, not necessarily the man himself) when i'm around...i was about 4 or 5 years old then, and i've been into music ever since.  in fact, because of this, i've been able to appreciate '60s and '70s rock even since grade school days.  and as i reached my teen years, my dad even got into some of the bands i was listening to back then...i.e. guns 'n' roses, and later on, wolfgang. 

i plan to do the same when i have kids of my own...expose them to the music i like, and hope it leaves a lasting impact.   :-D  but then again, they'd be free to listen to any music they like...dapat wag pwersahan pag di talaga nila trip.   if they would, at the very least, become a member of a band, that'd make me a very proud dad...ako nga eh, tuwang-tuwa si erpats nung nagkabanda na ako...i achieved something he almost, but failed to achieve as a 7th grader...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline mongz_dakila

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »
siguro hayaan mo lang na nakikita niya yung mga gears mo tapos
pag naging curious siya sa gears mo and hayaan mo siya...
pero wag mo ipagpipilitan yung mga gusto mo sa kanya...
iba na ang genre sa panahong iyon kesa sa kinalakhan mo...

Offline digitalcyco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »
my 13 year old nephew got curious about the guitar because he always hears me practicing.

pero I don't "pollute" his mind with Pantera or Morbid Angel.

I teach him to play guitar and jam along to High School Musical and David Cook.

hindi ako binawalan ng tatay ko sa gusto ko sa music, long as I don't crank the stereo in full volume so i'll apply the same thing.

if he wants to play pop music... fine. Kung hihingi ng gitara, I'd be glad to buy him one. If he wants to play the drums, i'll find a way to get him a kit.

swerte siguro anak ko. kung gusto nya tumugtug, i can supply him with complete instruments. far different nung tyempo ko i had to bike a town away to borrow a friends 4 stringed electric guitar to learn power chords.

--------------

edit: at onga pala, gadget ko non sa bahay karaoke na butas speaker kaya nag didistort hehehehe. swerte nya dami ko gadget ipa mana LOL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:32:22 PM by digitalcyco »
This is a forum siggy.

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
First, a very nice thread :)

I'm teaching our daughter (7 years old) to play guitar. Nakikita nya sa akin na we got some instruments at home (Bass, guitar and for a while drums). Sa genre naman, hinahayaan namin sya. She is also into singing (had some voice lessons) and ang iniiwasan lang namin eh ang isipin nya na birit = magaling.

Kaya lang tinamad akong ipasok sa ulit sa isang voice lesson franchise. Ang itinuturo kasi ay pagbirit. The kids are too young to do that. She loves singing the stuff from musicals, kiddie movies, themes from cartoons. And she freaking like the contrabidas than the lead stars, he he he.

There are some subliminal messages that we are injecting into her mind though. Umepekto, she dig Metallica (impluwensya ni misis) and Pearl Jam (impluwensya ko). One funny thing, she heard Hinder (Lips of an Angel) and she blurted out:

"Ampanget ng boses Itay!"

Sabi ko na lang eh, ganyan talaga ang boses nya, style yun :)

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 01:22:24 AM »
If I had my way, grade 1 pa lang paparinig ko na sa kanya Pantera, Lamb of God and thrash metal gang.  :-D

And teach him how to play the guitar grade 1 pa lang, para pag dating ng grade 7, kaya na ang "Technical Difficulties" at "Eruption"

But that's just me.  :lol:

Pero kung seseryosohin, hindi ko siya pipilitin. Malay natin maging sporty pala anak ko or something. heehe.  :-D

Pero kung gusto niya matuto tumugtog, I'll guide him and be a sort of musical coach kumbaga.  :-D

Offline coolvoice

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
kahit bata pa lang eh kita na naman sa mga anak natin kung mahihilig sya sa musika.

pero like what they said, malaki ang influence natin sa kanila.

ang ginagawa ko na lang, minsan sinasama ko sa praktis atleast one of my child, alternate sila, kasi lahat sila mahilig sa musika, mahilig kumanta. yun pa lang kasi ang kaya kong ibigay sa kanila. kapag bokalista ka, wala ka namang kelangang instrumento.. wala pa kasi akong pambili..mahirap lang eh.

yung bunso ko- hilig ata mag drums, kaya ayun halos pingkot na lahat mga kasirola sa amin.

yung panganay- hilig ata mag gitara kaya ayun walis tambo lagi ang napapagtripan.

yung gitna, babae- hilig lang kumanta..

pinapakinig ko lang sa kanila ang mga songs na gusto ko eh, magustuhan din nila.

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
Just play your music from their birth until they gradually grow up...

The music will also grow within them.
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline skirmish

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
Just play your music from their birth until they gradually grow up...

The music will also grow within them.

yes, sa womb pa lng padinig nyo na music

Offline rukero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:39:25 PM »
Great thread.

In my case, my kids' natural interest is greatly influenced by what they see in me.  Kids are naturally curious.  If they see their dad play guitar all the time, chances are they'll get interested too. 

I was so pleasantly surprised to see my 3 1/2 twin boys show "signs" of musical inclination.  They would hang out with me whenever I play guitar at home.  We would mess around with my gear all the time.  They would try to strum along, stomp on the pedals (wah's their favorite :wink:), tweak knobs, switch channels of the amp, etc.  They also recognize the type of music I listen to. Not metal naman, just moderate rock/guitar-driven tunes.  Whenever they hear guitar in a tune, they would play air guitar with matching stomping of their right foot (to mimic stomping on pedals) :lol:

These little things make me grin knowing (or hoping) that someday they'll become musicians like their dad (well, sorta).  :-D
Fender HWY1 Texas Tele, Polytune, Chi Wah Wah, Musket, Boiling Point, Fetto, FD2, Small Clone, Echo Park, DMM, Diamond Trem, JamMan Solo, Marshall 2x75w