hulika

Author Topic: Help! Na intonate guitar ko..  (Read 2384 times)

Offline jett.ilagan

Help! Na intonate guitar ko..
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
pina setup ko po trems ko sa ibanez store sa Alabang last month,
di ko na pandsin medyo off tune ong 12th fret and above ko ng siguro
25% flat.. (nka limutan ko term) anyways.. anu kaya problema?
pwede ko kaya masolusyunan yun ng DO IT MYSELF?
Gateway Laptop, Live 9, Ibanez RG250dxz, Blank Stratocaster & Telecaster, Digitech RP255, Kaossilator 2, Kaossilator Pro+, Gakken Sx-150

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Help! Na intonate guitar ko..
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
Intonation.
May tuner ka ba? Kung wala, dalhin mo na lang ulit sir sa Audiophile.
Kung di ka sure kung pano gawin, dalhin mo na lang ulit sir sa Audiophile.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:48:26 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline jett.ilagan

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
ang mahal kasi ng pa setup.. di din ako bilib sa
gumagawa, di accurate pati, kung anu anu ginawa sa
trem ko.. walang kwenta eh, ..

Ibanez RG 350 Dxz
Edge Zero 2 po
Gateway Laptop, Live 9, Ibanez RG250dxz, Blank Stratocaster & Telecaster, Digitech RP255, Kaossilator 2, Kaossilator Pro+, Gakken Sx-150

Offline brown

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
dalin mo ke Micsis.  :-D
he who hesitates, masterb@#$!

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
Bring it to any of our trusted luthiers here :-) they'll do a better job than audiophile or diy.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:22:01 PM »
Baka naman luma na strings mo sir?
On vacation...

Offline guitarman8294

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
Bring it to any of our trusted luthiers here :-) they'll do a better job than audiophile or diy.

+100
 8-)

Offline oliverb

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
kay sir Mike Sison aka micsis mo na lang dalhin. sigurado ka pa sa quality ng work. sa sucat yung shop nya so malapit na sa alabang yan. kung wala or konti yung customer sa shop nya saglit lang yan gagawin

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
pina setup ko po trems ko sa ibanez store sa Alabang last month,
di ko na pandsin medyo off tune ong 12th fret and above ko ng siguro
25% flat.. (nka limutan ko term) anyways.. anu kaya problema?
pwede ko kaya masolusyunan yun ng DO IT MYSELF?

Of course you can do it yourself. I really suggest that you try setting up your own guitar rather than relying on luthiers. It's not about you saving but you get to be independent on setups once you try. You get to familiar on how a guitar works.  Do not be scared to fail. It's rather easy. especially you have an Edge Zero 2. No hassle with that kind of trem.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:46:11 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

Don't get me wrong. But a luthier's point of view, he is DIYing..

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:26:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong. But a luthier's point of view, he is DIYing..

Yeah :) what I meant was that a luthier would probably do a better job than someone with no experience in setting up guitars (the ts who wants to diy).

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:05:31 AM »
Yeah :) what I meant was that a luthier would probably do a better job than someone with no experience in setting up guitars (the ts who wants to diy).
+1

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »

I get your point. Thus, I really suggest to try setting up he's own guitar. The last time I went to a luthier was a disappointment. I could have done it myself and save me the hassle. Luthiers aren't perfect also. After it's done in the shop, you try the guitar probably there's anything a luthier have missed. Then you go home happy. But there are cases that you will only discover the fault when you get home. So what do you do? Go back to the luthier?

Last week, I lowered my guitar's action. Ibanez with lo pro edge. But before that, I discovered it cannot be lowered anymore. Sagad na. But the strings are still high. It wasn't for me. So I removed the neck from the body, WITHOUT REMOVING THE STRINGS. Saved me P250-P330. I put a shim on my guitar. I didn't know how to do it at first. I just watched a youtube vid. The first try was failure. Credit cards do not always work as I read in the internet. So I cut a piece of paper out of my FHM ticket. Probably half of a credit card and it was a perfect size. My guitar has a perfect action that suits me. No fret buzz also. It also improved my tone.

Why am I saying this? To inspire someone who are relying on luthiers. Remove their fright of dissecting a guitar and experimenting. I bet some of you guys don't know shimming before I said "I put a shim on my guitar"? (a credit card in a guitar?)

Three weeks ago my friend changed his own pickups by himself for the first time. All he said was, "pare ang dali pala. at ang saya gawin".
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:20:20 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline oliverb

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »
one advantage I see of going to a luthier is you get to ask questions about the stuff he's doing (its actually YOUR right to ask since its YOUR guitar being serviced) and get realtime feedback. unlike in online references, even forums, you have to wait before you get an answer to your question or no answer at all if its just a video tutorial. armed with the new knowledge from the luthier you'll have more confidence to tinker with your guitar.

agree 100% on the DIY though. I DIY stuff in our house all the time. It saves me money that would've been used for service charge, commute/gas and misc expenses. Plus I get to learn new skills. One thing about DIY in general is you need the right tools and skills. Also there are types of persons who no matter how many tutorials they watch, how many articles they read, just weren't born to handle tools. What they tend to do is make the problem worse hence costlier to fix

Offline w15

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
Of course you can do it yourself. I really suggest that you try setting up your own guitar rather than relying on luthiers. It's not about you saving but you get to be independent on setups once you try. You get to familiar on how a guitar works.  Do not be scared to fail. It's rather easy. especially you have an Edge Zero 2. No hassle with that kind of trem.

Agree.  Intonation can be done by anyone.  I think the worst that could go wrong is one or more of your strings snapping.  I don't think any permanent damage can be done to your guitar in doing it.  http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1265-intonating-your-electric-guitar-or-bass/.  

But bro, truss rods are altogether a different story  :-D  For that I suggest you go to a luthier or at least get assistance from someone who knows how to do it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:05:49 PM by w15 »
when your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreamin boy cause
when you stop dreamin its time to die. - Shannon Hoon

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »
One of the first things I tried on my first electric guitar (raon type, 17 years ago) was to disassemble and reassemble it. It still worked with out any problems after my little educational stunt. This is during the time where there's no internet and I don't know anyone who can fix it if I failed to put it back. Its long gone now but I used it for four or so years before the the neck broke - no truss rod. I'm no luthier and highly unlikely to be one but I learned a lot from that experiment to at least troubleshoot and do simple repairs and adjustments when I need to.  :-D
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline Jejan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »
Ako lang nagintonate ng Floyd Rose ko eh, okay naman and mas madali kaysa sa pag intonate ng mga Stop Tail saddles :D.

Tuner + Wrench lang ang katapat. Sobrang simple lang kasi ng gagawin bro, hindi worth it yung bayad eh.

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »
Ako lang nagintonate ng Floyd Rose ko eh, okay naman and mas madali kaysa sa pag intonate ng mga Stop Tail saddles :D.

Tuner + Wrench lang ang katapat. Sobrang simple lang kasi ng gagawin bro, hindi worth it yung bayad eh.

if the luthier you brought it is THAT good, it's worth it. (i can set my guitar's intonation just fine but, magically adding sustain to my guitar blows my mind away)
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
Bring it to a reputable luthier or tech. Then learn from him if you can. Mahirap yung basa basa lang sa Internet na if 12th fret harmonic pitch is lower than the fretted 12th pitch then adjust saddle towards the nut and vice versa e feeling expert na. Some things you cannot be adept with through DIY'ing alone. Lots of guitars go bad because some people think too highly of themselves as guitar techs.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com