hulika

Author Topic: Help po in choosing a Delay Pedal.  (Read 2565 times)

Offline dadadan

Help po in choosing a Delay Pedal.
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
Hello PMusicians. I'm trying to look for a delay na nasa 2.5k budget po. So ngayon I have seen things in the classifieds and isang store. So the question is, ano pong dapat kunin ko:SUBZERO ECHOBASE (worth 2k), DOD DFX9 Digital Delay (worth 2k), Boston DD100 (worth 2.5k ata), or Artec SE-ADL (worth 2.3k)?

Eto po pics. Sorry sa mga sellers. Interested lang :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1474668284665&set=a.1436798977956.41168.1772439579&type=1&theater (SubZero)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=153860967970322&set=a.105986972757722.10313.100000392597537&type=1&theater (DOD)

I am hoping to get the style of RATM. Tom Morello uses the DD3 po if I remember it right. Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Help po in choosing a Delay Pedal.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
Echobase seems to have the most bang-for-buck with the choices you mentioned, so long as it's built with sturdy parts for that price.  Modulated delays are a nice extra feature to have. Try to get a warranty with the builder if you can, but be nice and don't insist. :wink: The artec delay is also a PT2399 based delay, same with the echobase.

Why not try and save up more for a DD3, if that's the sound you're after?  I mean, if it's totally out of the question, the echobase is what I would prefer given your budget and choices.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Echobase seems to have the most bang-for-buck with the choices you mentioned, so long as it's built with sturdy parts for that price.  Modulated delays are a nice extra feature to have. Try to get a warranty with the builder if you can, but be nice and don't insist. :wink: The artec delay is also a PT2399 based delay, same with the echobase.

Why not try and save up more for a DD3, if that's the sound you're after?  I mean, if it's totally out of the question, the echobase is what I would prefer given your budget and choices.

I will buy a guitar worth 22k po kasi eh. And its reserved na for me so I can't spend that much. And I am still a student so money is hard to come by. Have you seen the pics of the echobase sir? Why do you think the echobase is better than the artec by the way? And oh, thank you so much for the reply.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
I will buy a guitar worth 22k po kasi eh. And its reserved na for me so I can't spend that much. And I am still a student so money is hard to come by. Have you seen the pics of the echobase sir? Why do you think the echobase is better than the artec by the way? And oh, thank you so much for the reply.

You might find it nice for a spacier delay effect.  The artec is based on a PT2399, same with the rebote and other boutique delay pedals i won't mention.  The echobase also uses the PT2399, but it was designed (at the time) to improve on the 'typical' PT2399 build, and add a modulate function so you can have a chorused delay thing going on.  See how it was developed by reading on the echobase threads in DIYstompboxes or FSB forum.  It modulates just the delay trails, not the original dry signal, so it's quite different to a delay pedal going into a chorus pedal.  You might want to try it.  I feel given the 2k ceiling you have, it's the best option.  Plus you can establish a relationship with the builder, request a few tweaks here and there, or specify parts or designs you like if they allow it, instead of buying a mass-produced pedal that is built to a price point (and cut some corners in quality in the process) and marked up to compensate for shipping costs and dealer overhead.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:28 PM »
You might find it nice for a spacier delay effect.  The artec is based on a PT2399, same with the rebote and other boutique delay pedals i won't mention.  The echobase also uses the PT2399, but it was designed (at the time) to improve on the 'typical' PT2399 build, and add a modulate function so you can have a chorused delay thing going on.  See how it was developed by reading on the echobase threads in DIYstompboxes or FSB forum.  It modulates just the delay trails, not the original dry signal, so it's quite different to a delay pedal going into a chorus pedal.  You might want to try it.  I feel given the 2k ceiling you have, it's the best option.  Plus you can establish a relationship with the builder, request a few tweaks here and there, or specify parts or designs you like if they allow it, instead of buying a mass-produced pedal that is built to a price point (and cut some corners in quality in the process) and marked up to compensate for shipping costs and dealer overhead.

Wow thanks for the input sir. But I don't think that the Seller is actually the builder of this Echobase. Actually I had no idea that this is a DIY pedal. I just want to know sir if okay yung Echobase for Slapbacks, Lo-fi, or maybe even Tape. And btw, what do you mean by spacier? I am sorry for the noobness sir for I am new and this will only be the 3rd pedal that I will own and the first delay pedal at that. Again thank you very much! I really appreciate it.

Offline kaizer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »
go for the echobase pero pag may nakita ka na artec less than 2k ok din yun.. San nyo po tinignan price nung boston delay? kung gusto nyo yung boston ang alam ko sale po sa JB festival mall ewan ko lang kung hanggang ngayon. swerte pa pag nandun pa yung manager (mejo OT na) nung bumile ako less 10% prices nila eh tapos lumapit si Mr. manager sabe gawin na daw 20% hehehe..  :mrgreen:

Offline dadadan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
go for the echobase pero pag may nakita ka na artec less than 2k ok din yun.. San nyo po tinignan price nung boston delay? kung gusto nyo yung boston ang alam ko sale po sa JB festival mall ewan ko lang kung hanggang ngayon. swerte pa pag nandun pa yung manager (mejo OT na) nung bumile ako less 10% prices nila eh tapos lumapit si Mr. manager sabe gawin na daw 20% hehehe..  :mrgreen:

Mukhang I'm leaning on the echobase nga sir. Yung artec kasi chineck ko sa classifieds wala eh. Bihira. Kung 1k siguro baka bilhin ko yun. Kung 1.5k I think I will go with the echobase because Mr. Siore had given me great reviews. Okay pa ba yung DD100? May sinok kasi yun diba? May nagsabi rin po sakin di raw ganun kaganda.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
Wow thanks for the input sir. But I don't think that the Seller is actually the builder of this Echobase. Actually I had no idea that this is a DIY pedal. I just want to know sir if okay yung Echobase for Slapbacks, Lo-fi, or maybe even Tape. And btw, what do you mean by spacier? I am sorry for the noobness sir for I am new and this will only be the 3rd pedal that I will own and the first delay pedal at that. Again thank you very much! I really appreciate it.

Hard to explain.  I'm sorry to simplify it so much like that.  I can see why you'd be confused.  Delays have repeats, right?  Usually you can only adjust the time for those repeats to occur, how much of those repeate are mixed with the original sound (mix), and how loud you want those repeats to be heard (feedback).  That's the layout for most delay pedals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EH memory man was the first (or at least the most succesful) to try and modulate the repeats themselves.  What this means is you can apply a warbling effect to them, similar to how most flangers and choruses work.  Delay the signal a little bit, then apply modulation.  What you get is a sound that fills up a room even more that just straight delay.  Just listen to the echobase (or memory man) demos on youtube for an idea.  Pay attention when they play with the modulate section's depth and speed knobs.

IIRC, this is one of the objectives of the echobase design, to have something that sounds as nice as the MM, or at least work from that same approach of taking the repeat, doing sh1t with it, and see what happens..  But instead of attaching an LFO before the time output, the designer worked on another section of the chip (pin2?? i don't remember exactly), when most other designs just work from the sample delay application from the chip's spec sheet.  It's all too technical for GC, but the info is out there, and I used to absorb all of those threads when I was building my rebote delay.  Mind you, I have yet to build one, but I know it's a good delay pedal design, and I'm familiar with the sound.  I've tried it once or twice (other people's echobases).
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
Hard to explain.  I'm sorry to simplify it so much like that.  I can see why you'd be confused.  Delays have repeats, right?  Usually you can only adjust the time for those repeats to occur, how much of those repeate are mixed with the original sound (mix), and how loud you want those repeats to be heard (feedback).  That's the layout for most delay pedals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EH memory man was the first (or at least the most succesful) to try and modulate the repeats themselves.  What this means is you can apply a warbling effect to them, similar to how most flangers and choruses work.  Delay the signal a little bit, then apply modulation.  What you get is a sound that fills up a room even more that just straight delay.  Just listen to the echobase (or memory man) demos on youtube for an idea.  Pay attention when they play with the modulate section's depth and speed knobs.

IIRC, this is one of the objectives of the echobase design, to have something that sounds as nice as the MM, or at least work from that same approach of taking the repeat, doing sh1t with it, and see what happens..  But instead of attaching an LFO before the time output, the designer worked on another section of the chip (pin2?? i don't remember exactly), when most other designs just work from the sample delay application from the chip's spec sheet.  It's all too technical for GC, but the info is out there, and I used to absorb all of those threads when I was building my rebote delay.  Mind you, I have yet to build one, but I know it's a good delay pedal design, and I'm familiar with the sound.  I've tried it once or twice (other people's echobases).

Some really great information there sir. I have also heard good reviews about the EHX delays. MM and #1 echo. Do they fit in my budget sir? If not I think I will get the Echobase tomorrow so I hope that you could reply now.  :-D But you gave me some really good information sir. And also, props for making your own rebote. I have heard this pedal in youtube and I like it very much. I just hope that the Echobase can match up to it.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

Some really great information there sir. I have also heard good reviews about the EHX delays. MM and #1 echo. Do they fit in my budget sir? If not I think I will get the Echobase tomorrow so I hope that you could reply now.  :-D But you gave me some really good information sir. And also, props for making your own rebote. I have heard this pedal in youtube and I like it very much. I just hope that the Echobase can match up to it.

Under 2.5k?  No, I don't think so.  Hope you can test the echobase first before buying.  Check the footswitch, pots, input jack, output jack, DC jack, battery clip, basically run it through to make sure it's still tiptop.  It's 2nd hand after all.  Kung may issue and you can't reach the builder, go with other options.  Best of luck.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
Under 2.5k?  No, I don't think so.  Hope you can test the echobase first before buying.  Check the footswitch, pots, input jack, output jack, DC jack, battery clip, basically run it through to make sure it's still tiptop.  It's 2nd hand after all.  Kung may issue and you can't reach the builder, go with other options.  Best of luck.

mint daw sir. pero walang lalagyan daw ng battery sir. okay lang ba yun?

Offline dadadan

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »

Alright sir. Thank you very much sir! I really appreciated the help that you've given me. More power to you!

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
mint daw sir. pero walang lalagyan daw ng battery sir. okay lang ba yun?

Oh yeah.  I forgot.  It may not have space for battery compartment depending on the enclosure.  You'll be using it on PSU's anyway.  Delays draw a lot of current, so batteries are usually out of the question.  Non-issue.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
Yes sir. thank you very much! I hope that we could meet in person or be friends for that matter. I really learned a lot eh.  :-D Parang [pichapie] lang pero hindi.

Offline batang80s

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:01:58 AM »
Ipon ka na lang ng konti ang you can get the DD3 of your dreams.

I have both. DD3 and Echobase. The PT2399 chip sa Echobase is to simulate an analog pedal. May dumi sa trails and it fades away like analog do. A DD3 is crystal clear sa repeats. No right or wrong, just a matter of preference.

Offline dadadan

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
Ipon ka na lang ng konti ang you can get the DD3 of your dreams.

I have both. DD3 and Echobase. The PT2399 chip sa Echobase is to simulate an analog pedal. May dumi sa trails and it fades away like analog do. A DD3 is crystal clear sa repeats. No right or wrong, just a matter of preference.

as i have said sir mahirap po ang pera sakin ngayon since bibili po ko guitar. can you give me more reviews po of your echobase? Anyways, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Offline ysei

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:34 AM »
The artec delay has good reviews.
Pero wala akong personal experience sa pedal na yun.  :-P
Nababasa ko lang na marami naman satisfied for some reasons.
On vacation...

Offline dadadan

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:03 AM »
I have seen another! Could you guys help me out? http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,245892.0.html

Is that better than the Subzero Echobase and DD3? Thanks guys

Offline dadadan

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
I have seen another! Could you guys help me out? http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,245892.0.html

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »

Can somebody give us a lead info regarding the pedal in question?  :-D

Offline dadadan

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
Can somebody give us a lead info regarding the pedal in question?  :-D

What lead info man? hehe. BTW I bought the subzero echobase a week ago if I remember it correctly and it's a nice pedal.  :-D

Offline deliciouspapa

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
tl;dr all the posts. 

iba ang tunog ng dd-3 sa pt2399-based delays.  try both delays first,  the filtered repeats of the PT2399 may not be to your liking.  it's likely you'll want the DD-3 for the tone you're shooting for.

Offline dadadan

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
tl;dr all the posts. 

iba ang tunog ng dd-3 sa pt2399-based delays.  try both delays first,  the filtered repeats of the PT2399 may not be to your liking.  it's likely you'll want the DD-3 for the tone you're shooting for.

Nakabili na ko bro ng Echo Base and so far okay lang naman siya.  :-D Maybe I'll buy a DD3 when I have the funds. Thanks

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
tl;dr all the posts. 

I did ask if he could save up some more, beyond the 2.5k budget. :-) If Tom Morello uses a DD3, then a DD3 will get the TS into the ballpark of Tom Morello's tone.  Since's he's saving up for other things, it became a question of the options he presented in that range.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline dadadan

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
I did ask if he could save up some more, beyond the 2.5k budget. :-) If Tom Morello uses a DD3, then a DD3 will get the TS into the ballpark of Tom Morello's tone.  Since's he's saving up for other things, it became a question of the options he presented in that range.

yep! That's right :D