hulika

Author Topic: Stacking drive pedals  (Read 5024 times)

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Stacking drive pedals
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 06:14:26 AM »
dream setup ko pala ang current setup mo sir :D i think we have a similar tonal preference.

DLS MKIII is the shiznit. it is the most amplike pedal i've heard especially in terms of response when cascading with another pedal. add an transparent od like the EHX Soulfood and you're done. well... ako lang pala yun. hahahaha

With the DLS' different voicings(Via the inner toggle switch) gives the versatility you need for a drive pedal, at the superlead mode I use the Soul Food as a gritty boost then with super bass mode I drive the freqs with a deviever fuzz(For those rare QOTSA jams) and you'll have a concoction of slimey goodness hahaha. My tonal preference as a player is on the unpolished and dirtier sound when it comes to drives,no matter how much I want to love and play the modern soaring gain driven sound of recent guitar music I just can't because skill wise I can't demonstrate those stuff. :D
but for some old school death chug rhythms I use an MI Megalith Delta+With some EQ.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:38:29 AM by j.nikko3123 »
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
With all the drive pedals out there wouldn't it be neat if we had stores that let you try different combinations. It seems guitarists nowadays need to spend on the wrong pedals first before getting "that sound in your head".

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:53 PM »
Rockstore has a showroom in saguijo,they do carry some neat stuff.
Pedal business is a love/hate quest especially if you are not the mainstream player that has to stick to one kind of sound.
getting that sound in your head is actually easy now as most players breaks down their rig giving a lot of people the idea on how a specific pedal sounds.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:52:10 PM by j.nikko3123 »

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I rather want to stack like in a traditional way (Overdriven amp + OD pedal) maybe because my amp is a bit gainy. For what i've tried before, I really love the combination of Boss OD-3 + Boss BD-2, cause it sounds classic to me like no other, and it doesn't sound like a marshall, vox, mesa etc. Emulation of anything else is not my priority, but to create my very own signature tone.
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »
Namomroblema ako ngayon sa pagstack ng fuzz sa od. I can't decide kung alin talaga mas maganda para sakin, od first or otherwise. Well this is for solo lang naman.

^ROCKSTORE?? sa saguijo? may shop pala doon!?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
Namomroblema ako ngayon sa pagstack ng fuzz sa od. I can't decide kung alin talaga mas maganda para sakin, od first or otherwise. Well this is for solo lang naman.

depende sa effect na gusto mo paps. if you want more gain and dirt, put the OD first and then the fuzz last. kung gusto mo masmoothen yung fuzz, put the od last.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »
o nga, TS type pedal will smoothen da sound of a silicon fuzz. (fuzz before TS od)
"creeping deeaath"

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »

depende sa effect na gusto mo paps. if you want more gain and dirt, put the OD first and then the fuzz last. kung gusto mo masmoothen yung fuzz, put the od last.

Yeah, did this on my TS808 and MXR Dist, ganda sana ng output kaso maybe i have a problem in my chain that it sucks the volume if Dist ==> OD, kaya ang ginagawa ko is OD ===> Dist. kung walang volume drop, malamang Dist ===> OD and setup ko. i have tried the TS808 and Mooer Hustle drive stack, the heck! smooth drive with some grit due to the boost, sarap pang solo.
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »
Yeah, did this on my TS808 and MXR Dist, ganda sana ng output kaso maybe i have a problem in my chain that it sucks the volume if Dist ==> OD, kaya ang ginagawa ko is OD ===> Dist. kung walang volume drop, malamang Dist ===> OD and setup ko. i have tried the TS808 and Mooer Hustle drive stack, the heck! smooth drive with some grit due to the boost, sarap pang solo.

what we have to remember paps is yung volume ng last pedal ang nasusunod. hence, kung mahina ang volume nung od mo, mag ddrop talaga if you engage the od after the MXR. pag hindi rin tugma ang gain knobs nung od at dist, feedback anamn or peaking na ang mangyayari.

naexpi ko rin yan sa BritMod going to a TS. nagtataka ako bakit humihina pag nagengage ako ng OD eh ang lakas nung BritMod Level ko. yun pala, yung volume ng last pedal ang sinusunod. hahahaha

kung yung loss naman na sinasabi mo ay habang naka bypass, baka mang problem sa signal paps :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 04:29:58 PM »
Headroom of the last pedal also plays a big part in the overall volume when stacking 2 gain pedals. The higher the headromm of the last gain pedal, the louder it would be when the first one is engaged.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
Headroom of the last pedal also plays a big part in the overall volume when stacking 2 gain pedals. The higher the headromm of the last gain pedal, the louder it would be when the first one is engaged.

yun pa pala. thanks for the clarification sir!

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
^haha yang mga bagay na yan about volume and gain stacking ang dahilan kaya iniisip ko sa next jam ko (kailan man yun) gagamit na ako ng booster sa solos, hindi yung boosting by another od or dist pedal nasisiraan ako ng bait magtimpla haha lalo na pag 1st song is light od type lang tapos next song is distorted guitars.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
^haha yang mga bagay na yan about volume and gain stacking ang dahilan kaya iniisip ko sa next jam ko (kailan man yun) gagamit na ako ng booster sa solos, hindi yung boosting by another od or dist pedal nasisiraan ako ng bait magtimpla haha lalo na pag 1st song is light od type lang tapos next song is distorted guitars.

actually paps, kaya nga fun mag analog pedals kasi you can adjust easily unlike sa mga ibang multi na madami pang pipindutin bago magadjust.

also, iba talaga ang requirements per song hahaha the good guitarists i know talaga adjust drive levels and volume per song talaga. whew.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »

yeah they've opened their showroom last April 22.

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
^thanks! I need that encouragement. Oo nga nahahassle lang naman ako pag nasa studio tapos unprepared sa mga settings, there was a time na naglagay din ako ng masking tape sa pedals na may drawing ng settings hahah di ko kasi natatandaan.

Pero pag nasa bahay, aba pihit pihit talaga, experiment, enjoy talaga :)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 05:54:49 PM »
^thanks! I need that encouragement. Oo nga nahahassle lang naman ako pag nasa studio tapos unprepared sa mga settings, there was a time na naglagay din ako ng masking tape sa pedals na may drawing ng settings hahah di ko kasi natatandaan.

Pero pag nasa bahay, aba pihit pihit talaga, experiment, enjoy talaga :)
natandaan ko dun sa manual nung behringer amp ko may mga picture ng blank knobs, 5 sets per page mga four pages yun, pang note lang ng settings, sabi ko ayos yun ah old school  settings :cool:
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
also, iba talaga ang requirements per song hahaha the good guitarists i know talaga adjust drive levels and volume per song talaga. whew.

True story!

Fun talaga ang drive pedals no! You can't have too many kahit pa same kind lang, halimbawa marami kang fuzz, od.. haha. "Redundant" daw.. ang sabi ng GAS. HAHA

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »
True story!

Fun talaga ang drive pedals no! You can't have too many kahit pa same kind lang, halimbawa marami kang fuzz, od.. haha. "Redundant" daw.. ang sabi ng GAS. HAHA

Haha I often put blame on this GAS concept  :-D

Right now I'm GASsing on a DLS, Super crunch box, and reezafratzitz. Does it even make sense to own those 3 at the same time? I'm hoping they stack up well with each other. Hehehehe

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
Ive got three dirt pedals on my board

A Danelectro TOD (v1) + Ibanez TS9DX + MXR Super Distortion

I tried turning them all on, and it sounds fine, but it doesnt really suit the genre I play. I also tried different combinations, knob settings etc to make it work, and now I have a formula for different kinds of songs that needs different kinds of stages of OD.

Try experimenting. Its fun.
You don't choose the guitar, it chooses you.

If at any point in time you cannot afford a particular guitar, don't play it. If it chooses you, you have to buy it.  If you simply can't beg, steal, or borrow, you will eventually die of a broken heart..

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

Thanks sir Ralph! and also sir curiousdcat also the best point i got, actually naka max level ng OD nung ginawa ko yet still had the volume drop.
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.