hulika

Author Topic: Recommendation: DAW brands. Samplitude Pro X or Cubase 6?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline porksisig

Recommendation: DAW brands. Samplitude Pro X or Cubase 6?
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
will buy a copy one of these days and i'm in crossroads here.

used cubase before but in LE bundled, and that was ver 5. had fun, but ultimately crashes on me on some plugins i use, dunno why, eats up a lot of my cpu power (but works on my i7 just fine, but then i sold it and bought a netbook(specs down below) and now i notice how it really slows down my cpu.

but then loved the interface, the workflow. just that cpu thingy

next i tried the 30 day trial of ver 6, it's so cool, i mean it's just the same in terms of cpu usage (though a bit faster imo) but a lot of bundled plugins, cool new interface, it's just so amazing.

but then from some other forums someone started a thread 'bout Samplitude, went to their site, tried their 30 day trial, and it just blows me away, it all did what cubase can do, then there's this independent thing were you can edit just the portion of the event to use inserts, whereas cubase handled it with automation (idk, someone shoot this if i'm wrong) or other types of [gooey brown stuff].

i mean all of it is just there, in front of your face. plus the thing i don't like about cubase is the ilok, which will render a usb port useless, (considering i use a midi key, an interface.. no room for extras here).

what do you guys think?

Offline porksisig

Re: Recommendation: DAW brands. Samplitude Pro X or Cubase 6?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
computer specs is

AMD E-450

4gb ram

Win 7

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:20:08 AM »

used cubase before but in LE bundled, and that was ver 5. had fun, but ultimately crashes on me on some plugins i use, dunno why, eats up a lot of my cpu power (but works on my i7 just fine, but then i sold it and bought a netbook(specs down below) and now i notice how it really slows down my cpu.

next i tried the 30 day trial of ver 6, it's so cool, i mean it's just the same in terms of cpu usage (though a bit faster imo) but a lot of bundled plugins, cool new interface, it's just so amazing.

but then from some other forums someone started a thread 'bout Samplitude, went to their site, tried their 30 day trial, and it just blows me away, it all did what cubase can do, then there's this independent thing were you can edit just the portion of the event to use inserts, whereas cubase handled it with automation (idk, someone shoot this if i'm wrong) or other types of [gooey brown stuff].

i mean all of it is just there, in front of your face. plus the thing i don't like about cubase is the ilok, which will render a usb port useless, (considering i use a midi key, an interface.. no room for extras here).

what do you guys think?

cubase 6.5  the way to go... whos using samplitude?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:22:04 PM »
got samplitude 11 on a desktop pc.  works really well on windows xp, phenom quad & 4 gb ram.  very stable and i use it professionally - mostly musical scoring and sound design til my emu 1820m died.  never bothered to replace the emu but i do still use it for the occasional quick edit.

by the way, it uses usb key protection. so when it's screwed you'll need to order it direct from samplitude/codemeter since no local distributer here.
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline NS10 Reborn

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

what do you guys think?

this might help... but you have to re-check some of the features as Cubase got EQ and Compression and a lot more to offer halion and others...its what suits your needs i guess bro... multiple channel and multiple input recording check this too as cubase does this and not samplitude according to the comparison link here...below

http://sound-editing-software.findthebest.com/compare/11-64/Cubase-vs-Samplitude

at a glance ... samplitude is more of an audio editor than a music production platform... my opinion
I think you should be looking at Cubase, Nuendo, Pro tools, Logic Pro, Sonar,  try Reaper its cheap and cheerful yet Powerful.... 

here's another helpful link... http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4566292

I guess cubase is just easy on the workflow, MIDI and Audio but if you need to do more audio tweeks get them both...
Well if you know Angee of Tracks he's a Nuendo which is basically Cubase... get the trial versions try check this too on cubase... UV22HR  Apogees Dithering... which cubase now uses... just sounds amazing if you can hear it...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:16:26 PM by NS10 Reborn »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »
I actually prefer the midi workflow of samplitude over logic pro. yun lang yun dalawa na gamit ko for music production. i do believe the dithering and plugins are also better. kaya ko lang mas ginagamit yun logic kasi nasa macbook pro ko siya which i prefer over windows kasi stable yun mismong os. more work done less tinkering.

Pero for the final mix, pag submit ko sa networks, i still prefer the plugins of samplitude. Mas maayos yun tunog sa broadcast pagkatapos ma-audio level ng editor before dubout.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
x, ever performed a null test between the 2? samplitude is said to have one of the best mix engines. in theory, a null test could reveal subtle sonic differences, although I'm not exactly sure on the proper methodology in performing this (i have an idea, though).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline willythechief

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51:28 AM »
consider this.. which aspect of music production your into, if its arranging,, choose a DAW thats optimize for the task in the same way if your into mixing and post production,,,,, DAWs to me as good as they are, there is no such thing as jack of all trades... I arrange using sonar since its infancy stage but wont do mixing and post with it since to me nuendo is somewhat more intuitive for such task.... Another is, ok ProTools is the industry standard for mixing and etc..... but have you heard digidesign or even avid bloating about using ProTools midi capabilities??? think about it....

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
Cubase6... but I use Nuendo for AUDIO. Audio + MIDI? Sonar.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
x, ever performed a null test between the 2? samplitude is said to have one of the best mix engines. in theory, a null test could reveal subtle sonic differences, although I'm not exactly sure on the proper methodology in performing this (i have an idea, though).

not yet.  mukhang it'll show sonic differences, pero the "better mixdown" will still be subjective, i think.  maybe i could mixdown identical tracks that you might have for the experiment.