hulika

Author Topic: On kick drum pedals... does it really matter if they have metal plates under?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Most of the cheaper and old designs of kick drum pedals had no plates on the underside.  Besides durability, is there any noticeable disadvantage in playing if the pedal had no pedal plate, and just had those clamping rods?

Offline jckazs

Mas stable kung meron plate. Minimal to none side to side motion at hindi umaangat heel plate. Mas evident kung malakas ka gumamit ng pedal. Pero it's a matter of preference den. Some pros, lalo na sa jazz, still prefer plateless pedals over ones with plates.  Mas natural kasi siguro yung motion ng pedal pag walang plate
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:19:23 AM by jckazs »

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
My gibraltar prowler has no plate but has a clamp.

But it sucks that if I'm using it too fast. The metal that holds the foot pedal goes loose and you have to connect it again, but if you are playing the same time, its hard.

Unlike with plated, its fixed.

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
Mas stable kung meron plate. Minimal to none side to side motion at hindi umaangat heel plate. Mas evident kung malakas ka gumamit ng pedal. Pero it's a matter of preference den. Some pros, lalo na sa jazz, still prefer plateless pedals over ones with plates.  Mas natural kasi siguro yung motion ng pedal pag walang plate

I agree, the metal plate makes the pedal more stable. I would assume the plate was introduced when speed and power became a standard for bass pedals. Di na nakayanan ng pedals na walang plate...

Offline muziquero

Based on my experience, pag walang metal plate yung pedal eh umaangat yung rear ng pedal pag sa slide technique .. Kaya i think importante din yun..
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.. - Neil Peart (RUSH)

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
I agree, it's all about base stability.
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here