hulika

Author Topic: UAD cards... is it the final solution??  (Read 2065 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
UAD cards... is it the final solution??
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
Guys i have been TOO BOLD to record in the 192k /24 bit zone which i think was a bit too much  (understatement) for my computer - a pentium 4 with hyperthreading. ( WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING?)
 i was still in the tracking stage and was trying out some plugins and to my surprise - my computer froze and kept on having the error signals. i increased the memory from 1.5 - 2 gigs but still wasn't enough. now the choices that i may have might be:
1. to buy a new computer - a p4 core duo which is still expensive - can't afford that  :x
2. get a UAD card - doable but still not sure
3. dither the 192 - 96k or lesser rate.. a possibility but i would rather keep the high resolution if i can get away with it...
4. re record the tracks... which is next to impossible ..  :lol:..
i was thinking of getting the UAD card.. will it lessen the CPU load completely or just slightly considering the EQ's and automation in the future while in the mixing process.. can a pentium 4 with HP with 2 gigs be enough for the task granting a UAD plug will be used?
BTW..the recorded tracks (24 tracks) while dry and still unautomated is running smoothly..
so UAD users..abbys / hazel..any info on the UAD?...
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: UAD cards... is it the final solution??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 01:42:19 PM »
Try turning off hyperthreading. Sometimes helps.

UAD? Yes and no. UAD cards are nice but the more DSP intensive fx may require you to use 2 or more UAD cards; medyo expensive but I heard the SSL and Pultec plugs are very good. Before you retire your P4, when you do decide to upgrade your computer, keep your P4 handy and try to use VST System Link (since you use Nuendo) between your P4 and the new computer. You can also use FX Teleport and wire your system via ethernet cables instead of s/pdif which System Link requires. Use the old P4 as an fx/softsynth processor so you can handle more tracks/fx for your projects. Just get Steinberg's VStack so that you don't need to load Cubase or Nuendo into the FX pc.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »
Bosing KitC..
so you mean all plugins processing will be done in the P4? a core duo can't handle all that work even if it is at 4 gigs?  :?.. so if i use the P4.. what do i need to connect the 2 computers? i think i have to call you overseas again if the time comes hehehe
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
The process is no different from the video farms they use to render hi-end graphics for movies. Distributed processing is one way of using your old computers to increase your processing power. For example with your P4, when you get a C2D pc, use the old P4 for FX processing since it is no longer processing any tracks. I think it would be more than capable of of at least 20 fx. While the UAD is certainly powerful, it's DSP is showing signs of age. I was thinking of using something like the Creamware Scope Project (6 DSP) or Professional (14 DSP) as a processing farm as well as softsynth module (unfortunately, the Creamware only goes up to 24/96).

Think of it. You can still use your old pc to augment your new one. I'm planning on doing the same to my old pcs. When using VST System Link, you have to use s/pdif connections, either coaxial or optical depending on your soundcards. When using FX Teleport, you just use ordinary ethernet cable. You will have to research on configurations applicable to you, of course. Since I am only in the planning stage, my initial configuration will probably use System Link since that is what's readily available to me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:27:54 PM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
thanks kitC..but then again, the MOTU has no spdif connectivity. i just found the FX teleport site.. i think it is a viable option for me...Thanks again.. btw will a classic pentium work or even a P2 with win xp work ? i guess i am really pushing it hehehe..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
P3 ata minimum spec for Win XP. Even then that's pushing it coz you need at least 1 GHz processor speed to run things at a minimum. For audio, factor about 150% of the minimum for something that is just workable so you're looking at 1.5 GHz minimum processor speeds with 512 megs ram minimum. Go with FX Teleport kung wala kang s/pdif; all you need is an ethernet port and Steinberg's VStack for the 'slave' machine.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:39:16 PM »
The process is no different from the video farms they use to render hi-end graphics for movies. Distributed processing is one way of using your old computers to increase your processing power. For example with your P4, when you get a C2D pc, use the old P4 for FX processing since it is no longer processing any tracks. I think it would be more than capable of of at least 20 fx. While the UAD is certainly powerful, it's DSP is showing signs of age. I was thinking of using something like the Creamware Scope Project (6 DSP) or Professional (14 DSP) as a processing farm as well as softsynth module (unfortunately, the Creamware only goes up to 24/96).

Think of it. You can still use your old pc to augment your new one. I'm planning on doing the same to my old pcs. When using VST System Link, you have to use s/pdif connections, either coaxial or optical depending on your soundcards. When using FX Teleport, you just use ordinary ethernet cable. You will have to research on configurations applicable to you, of course. Since I am only in the planning stage, my initial configuration will probably use System Link since that is what's readily available to me.

Creamware certainly has a lot of juice in it and the SHARC chips in it have helped me process a lot of softsynth work with only a few hickups. If it helps, there was talk of a new line of Creamware cards that would push 192 in time for an intro at this year's musicmesse in germany. I haven't heard if anything along the lines of a release date was announced but at the same convention, they also announced that the entire line of RME Hammerfall cards will have a PCIe option within the next few months. I have been watching the RME announcement for months and I am excited that RME is making the PCIe option for their cards. 
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
astig na thread po to!ayus!tamang tama sa aral ako ng UAD...
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
long time no see guys.  kumusta?  :-)

baldo, kit is right. you might need 2 or more cards to get a couple of plugs working all at the same time.  im using 2 at the moment and mejo bitin parin.  if you can get your hands on a magma chassis with four cards in them (second hand advertised for 1k usd  :-o mura na 'to!!! ... saw that once somwehere).  try ebay.  :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »
Hazel long time ah.. mukahng napatagal yung vacation mo ah..how are you..anyway i will call you next time, me tanong ako sa UAD plug ins mo..ok? iniisip ko kasi na baka yun muna ang solution kasi medyo me pagka complicated pa yung sinasabi ni kitC na 2 computer at medyo mahal pa kasi yung core 2 duo hehehe..saka hindi ko pa alam kung papaano ikakabit yung FX teleport saka yung configurations nun..i am not that good with computers..  8-)..
Music is art in sound...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
any time baldo :) kit, that fx teleport is really interesting. i remember looking into that last year but never really got it together since the uad actually looked simpler, like baldo said.  eventually i just coughed up the dough for an additional card.  do fill us in :)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
yeah hazel.. pero siguro in the future mas ok yung FX teleport..  8-).. nice talking to you..kaso ded na yun cell mo hehehe  sa susunod lagyan mo ng DURACELL yang nokia mo ha?  :-D
Music is art in sound...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 01:53:33 AM »
Bos KitC !

We got another 1.5GHz PIV machine at PIMP. Ethernet...no problem...ako pa :D .

Work your magic and dummy-test it on the machines there if it's your pleasure :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:39:13 AM »
Hazel, have you checked out the new Helios EQ? If you do a lot of acoustic/ unplugged cajon and vocals work, I would recommend this one. This EQ does wonders with giving acoustic guitar a sparkly sheen that really pops out in the mix.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 02:49:22 AM »
Bos KitC !

We got another 1.5GHz PIV machine at PIMP. Ethernet...no problem...ako pa :D .

Work your magic and dummy-test it on the machines there if it's your pleasure :D

Nice, Jobet! Sige... give me some time to recover here. Medyo heavy ang sched ko ngayon but I'll be along some time to check it out.