hulika

Author Topic: Recording PC overclocking  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Blueberri

Recording PC overclocking
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
Is it a good idea? and will i get significant performance gains??
ived upgraded my HSF already, Ive'd got a good PSU..memory na lang ang hindi ako kampante (1 generic, 1 PQI both 512mb).

I used to OC my P4 setup before but never used it for recordings.
anybody here with experience in OCing a recording PC?? particularly A64s??

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »
another noob question: can OC damage other computer parts like the memory or DSP cards?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:00:55 PM »
In most mobos today, you can overclock the cpu and agp bus independently of the pci bus so while you oc the cpu, ram and vidcard, you can leave the pci bus at 66 mhz preventing pci devices from becoming unstable. Soundcards have their own clocks and partially derive their timing from the pci clock so any attempt with oc'ing the pci clock can destabilize that timing. In extreme cases, you can possibly fry the card but that is rare. On older mobos, oc'ing the cpu bus also meant oc'ing the pci bus so be warned.

Some mobo/cpu/ram combinations are more tolerant of overclocking than others. Gentle overclocks can be done using stock voltage, but In more radical cases, increasing cpu and ram voltage is necessary in order to achieve a stable overclock configuration. The side effect of this increased voltage is more heat thereby requiring better cooling solutions and this usually means more powerful, noisier fans or watercooling. I'd rather have a quiet pc so I don't overclock. Years of listening to the whine of a Volcano 6+ have made me appreciate quiet fans and PSUs.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire