hulika

Author Topic: Delayed Track during playback  (Read 1045 times)

Offline av-phile

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Delayed Track during playback
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:42:16 PM »
Hi, as an amateur just starting out as a one-man band home recordist/hobbyist, I have this Behringer Xenyx1202 mixing console connected to my PC via stereo RCA to my Creative Audigy soundcard.  I lay tracks on a Cakewalk ProAudio9 and while I can monitor the accompaniemnt track using the headphones on the mixer while doing the lead on another instrument, on playback of the tracks, the second track lags behind the first thus losing the beat.  Is this common?   I often find myself shifting the entire track forwards on the cakewalk track to synchronize.  Any suggestions?   Should I be using a USB equipped console rather than analog?  TIA  I have some suspicions on the analog-to-digital conversion in the PC top account for the lag between recording and playback.  Is this the case?  TIA
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:47:57 PM by av-phile »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Delayed Track during playback
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 07:11:46 PM »
What you're experiencing is latency. Try adjusting the latency in CW's audio options until you can record properly. Creative's audio drivers are not particularly well like by the recording community because of their performance (there are also other issues, but I'm no snob when it comes to gear). You're better off using alternative drivers such as kxproject or Asio4all.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline av-phile

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks KitC.  I know Creative isn't exactly a favourite even among Hi Fi enthusiasts but I guess I had to make do with it for my initial foray into the world of home recording and will definitely upgrade in time.  So the latency can be adjusted thru the Cakewalk software, right?  But would that affect the recording this time?  The recording is fine when I monitor the tracks.  It's when I playback that I notice the lag. 

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:07:17 PM »
It's true that Creative soundcards aren't a favorite among diehards, but it doesn't mean you can't make music using one. I started with an AWE32 for Chrissakes.

Anyway, latency is a function of the card's drivers and, of course, your latency settings in CW. The lowest latency you can achieve is directly proportional to your cpu speed, however, so a faster cpu usually means lower latency times depending on track count loading. The lag you're experiencing is recording and playback latency; in effect, you think you are recording on time but the sound is already coming out delayed from your soundcard, add to that the recording latency and the lag becomes noticeable. One thing you should do is to turn off input monitoring in Pro Audio and to adjust latency to the lowest your pc can accomodate. You will know you've reached that limit when audio playback begins to crackle.

Another way is to use alternative drivers. The links I posted above give better performance than the stock creative drivers. I prefer the kx drivers (very low latencies in comparison), but it can be a bit technical - read up very well on the included readme files.

The 3rd thing to do is hardware monitoring, but I can't recall if the Audigy ever supported that.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline av-phile

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »
Will try to check on the latency adjustments on Cakewalk and the drivers you mentioned.  I just could not find the time at the moment.  Wll get back on this soon.  Thanks so much KitC.  :-D