hulika

Author Topic: ORANGE CRUSH 30R AMP  (Read 3980 times)

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
ORANGE CRUSH 30R AMP
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:42:11 AM »
Went to J an B at SM Pampanga on Wednesday and bought myself an Orange Crush 30R.  It is solid state and I know you guys all know that I am one of those persistant tube amp types. 

When I bought the amp, I bought it with the intention of letting my German friend convert it into an all tube amp.  But I gotta say, this is the best sounding solid state amp I have ever played through.

Cleans are pristine with the gain low, but you can crank the level and gain up with it on the clean channel and get an awesome dirty blues sound - no need for the overdrive if you are just doing the blues.

The overdrive channel gives great crunch.  I think they should have named this amp the Orange Crunch instead of the Orange Crush.  Great crunch ala AC/DC type sounds at high gain.

Now for metal heads, this is NOT a metal amp by any means.  Great with no effects for blues, dirty blues, classic rock and hard rock but not for metal.  However there is an overdrive pedal input.  All you gotta do is hook a distortion pedal in that and you got your metal distortion.  You don't have to hook your guitar into the distortion pedal, just the distortion pedal in the amp.

This is one great amp and sounds as warm as any tube amp I have ever played.  Great price too, as I only payed around 9.5k for it.  I read on harmony central complaints about it sounding like a toy or hardly any reverb.  Not the case in mine.  Very rich warm sounding tone and the reverb at 2 is more than enough.  Anything more than that and the reverb gets a bit overwhelming.

I did make one change in the amp.  When I got it home, I took the back off and saw that the reverb tank was only attached with one screw, so I put 3 more screws in it so that each screw hole has a screw.  The other thing I did is that I had a Celestion Vintage 10 inch speaker, because when I bought the one for my Laney conversion, I had to buy two.  The Orange Speaker was great, but I had this $200 speaker just laying around, so I put it in there in place of the orange speaker.  Not much difference - a little warmer, a little more top end on the clean and a little more bottom and top end on distortion - but not enough to really rant and rave about.

God I love getting all this stuff and playing around with it.  I have ordered three Xavier guitars from Guitar Fetish.  Can't wait till they get here.  I got the thinline semi hollow telecaster and stratocaster and one of the Xavier Les Paul Clones.  These guitars get great reviews.  I'll write about those when I get them and I'll put pics of this orange amp on here when I figure out how to use this new digital camera my wife bought.

God Bless,

Doc
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
Re: ORANGE CRUSH 30R AMP
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »
I'm really interested in the Micro Crush, myself. I've tried the 30r and it sounds pretty good for a "practice-level" solid state.

OT:
Will jay be willing to ship Xaviere guitars in the Philippines now?

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:32:55 AM »
I'm really interested in the Micro Crush, myself. I've tried the 30r and it sounds pretty good for a "practice-level" solid state.

OT:
Will jay be willing to ship Xaviere guitars in the Philippines now?

Yeppers, the Philippines is back on the list as long as you pay through paypal.

God Bless,

Doc
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:40:38 AM »
Once again, another nice review! How is it compared to your Behringer?

Offline powerchord41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:46:33 AM »
i got an orange crush 30r this weekend... at first i was hesitant to buy this... it just attracted me to try it because of the color... hehehe... when i tried it in the store i think the guy gave me one of the cheap dean guitar on display it was the 7000 peso guitar i think it's a dean vendetta to try with the orange amp... anyway... as i tried my first chord with the guitar and amp, I was amazed by how clean and crisp the tone that the orange produced... IT'S JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!! the sound is really amazing! i compared it side by side with a marshall and it kicked the marshall's ass with the clean tone... (well for my ears it did) and for a 30 watt amp the orange is loud as hell... the reverb is awesome btw... and like ussfdoc said it's great for blues... and not so great with metal.. (it sounds awesome with a boss mt-2...)

i was also eyeing for a line6 spider 3 but the sound of the line6 is too thin imo... but the built in effects are cool... i also tried the VOX AD30VT i have to say that that is a really sweet amp... the built in effects are cool and the sound is really warm and crips... i was GASSING for the vox amp for months now... and i asked myself.. "why didn't i get the VOX which i was gassing for these past  months?" well i just fell in love with the Orange it's that simple... i didn't need the built-in effects in the vox amp coz i already have a nice pedal board in my arsenal... so all i was looking for is that perfect within the budget amp which can squeeze the great sound out of my lp and pedals... and i found that in the Orange Crush 30r... for the price it's a sure winner for 9524 Php...

i recommend this for anyone who's looking for a great cheap practice amp... imho this is the best solid state amp in its class... you won't be dissapointed...

oh and the color orange is cute too!
ayos!

Offline slaphappy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
nice review. i'm going to add that in my options when i buy a new amp january. thanks for the info!  :-)

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:05:41 PM »
i got an orange crush 30r this weekend... at first i was hesitant to buy this... it just attracted me to try it because of the color... hehehe... when i tried it in the store i think the guy gave me one of the cheap dean guitar on display it was the 7000 peso guitar i think it's a dean vendetta to try with the orange amp... anyway... as i tried my first chord with the guitar and amp, I was amazed by how clean and crisp the tone that the orange produced... IT'S JUST PLAIN AWESOME!!! the sound is really amazing! i compared it side by side with a marshall and it kicked the marshall's ass with the clean tone... (well for my ears it did) and for a 30 watt amp the orange is loud as hell... the reverb is awesome btw... and like ussfdoc said it's great for blues... and not so great with metal.. (it sounds awesome with a boss mt-2...)

i was also eyeing for a line6 spider 3 but the sound of the line6 is too thin imo... but the built in effects are cool... i also tried the VOX AD30VT i have to say that that is a really sweet amp... the built in effects are cool and the sound is really warm and crips... i was GASSING for the vox amp for months now... and i asked myself.. "why didn't i get the VOX which i was gassing for these past  months?" well i just fell in love with the Orange it's that simple... i didn't need the built-in effects in the vox amp coz i already have a nice pedal board in my arsenal... so all i was looking for is that perfect within the budget amp which can squeeze the great sound out of my lp and pedals... and i found that in the Orange Crush 30r... for the price it's a sure winner for 9524 Php...

i recommend this for anyone who's looking for a great cheap practice amp... imho this is the best solid state amp in its class... you won't be dissapointed...

oh and the color orange is cute too!

san ka nakabili with that price?

Offline powerchord41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:02:39 AM »
@changedmynametojimi

sa jb glorietta sale sila...

if i'm not mistaken meron din available ung bass na 35watts and 10 and 15 watts na orange crush... on sale din sila... so grab one if you can...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:05:53 AM by powerchord41 »
ayos!

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 05:31:35 PM »
As promised here are the pics.  My wife can use the digital camera,  :wink:

Again, for blues and classic rock - this is an awesome amp.  If you want metal, gotta get a pedal.   Hey - that ryhmes!  There's a song in that.

God Bless,

Doc
Be well,

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
@changedmynametojimi

sa jb glorietta sale sila...

if i'm not mistaken meron din available ung bass na 35watts and 10 and 15 watts na orange crush... on sale din sila... so grab one if you can...

checked glorietta or parksquare...no more stock.. :-(

one last stock is with megamall...went there only to find out that reverb is busted...but i did order one from them...same price 9525  :-D next week ata

Offline kamots

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »
any ideas about the ones with less wattage? a 30 watt amp may be a bit too much for bedroom aficionados like myself. or does it do low volumes well too?
walang maisip

Offline powerchord41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »
i haven't tried ung low wattage amps nila pero siguro kasing ganda din ng quality nung bigger wattage un pero shempre smaller... try mo nalang sa store...

ito based sa video dito ang ganda din...  10 watts lang yan...

ito pa isa...
feature=related
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 11:49:23 AM by powerchord41 »
ayos!

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 01:22:20 PM »
any ideas about the ones with less wattage? a 30 watt amp may be a bit too much for bedroom aficionados like myself. or does it do low volumes well too?

This amp does quite well at low volumes.  That is also what I look for.  I have small kids and we just adopted 4 others.  There are people sleeping and people awake almost 24 hours a day, so I look for amps that sound good at low volume.  With this one, you can keep the volume low and add level and gain and you got the same crunch at a bedroom level as you would onstage.

Speaking of onstage - this amp is indeed stageworthy.  It's loud as hell if you want it to be.  Keep in mind that the AC30 by VOX and the ATH30 by Orange which are very well established stage amps are only 30 watts.
Be well,

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »
I tried the 10 and 15 watt version of this amp and the OD is truly awesome, sadly it doesnt have a send/return feature so that I can plug-in my MFX.

Offline kamots

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
thanks guys. i'm gonna have to go check an orange amp out soon.
walang maisip

Offline trees

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Same here, i love my 30r  :wink:

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »
got one na! ehehehe ayos!!!

Offline ilbianconerri_magajes

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 03:33:17 PM »
As promised here are the pics.  My wife can use the digital camera,  :wink:

Again, for blues and classic rock - this is an awesome amp.  If you want metal, gotta get a pedal.   Hey - that ryhmes!  There's a song in that.

God Bless,

Doc

Nice piece of hardware dude....really cool....and for 9.5G...really cool dude :-D
Enough watts in my amp to destroy a house with one chord

Offline lee72807

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »
this is a good review
LF-expression pedal budget 500 to 600 pesos
pm me or txt me 09062592893

Offline mr.HTML

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Is it loud enough for rehearsals with a loud drummer?