hulika

Author Topic: Cool read for gearheads who believe in fairy dust  (Read 1993 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Cool read for gearheads who believe in fairy dust
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
you've probably seen this before and have heard of the landgraf mo'd:

the goose, the middle man, the idol maker and gomer pyle

funny and still an eye opener even though we've known it to be true in the back of our minds for some time now. so its actually an eye re-opener.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Cool read for gearheads who believe in fairy dust
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »
the 50 pc pedal he talks about creating is the clay jones od btw. over $1000 on ebay these days (when they do pop up). a clone of the landgraff dynamic od. which is a clone of the ts808.

i still love my lovepedal e6 though. its white. like soap. but i only gig with my od-3 now

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48:07 AM »
I read this before. Kaya nga sabi ko sa ibang thread, yung joyo overdrive pumapangit ang tunog pag nakikita mo yung enclosure.  :-D

The market is plagued with expensive pedals. Can't event understand how something that had 1/10th the component count compared to a digital camera of the same price would be that pricey. Parang showbiz din yan sa tingin ko. The more people talk about a certain pedal, mas maraming bumibili. I remember how the Keeley DS-1 is sold like hot cakes nung ginagamit pa siya ni Steve Vai. Ngayon, medyo na tone down na yung hype, there's a lot of used ones for sale on ebay. Though the Keeley DS1 is a good pedal.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
hype. similar to the wine test (same brand ng wine, magkaibang price tag).

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
I read this before. Kaya nga sabi ko sa ibang thread, yung joyo overdrive pumapangit ang tunog pag nakikita mo yung enclosure.  :-D

reminds me of a story in TGP where a guy bought a Digitech Bad Monkey, re-housed it, and brought it to a tone party. Everyone was amazed at the tone and kept asking what it was, and if he'd take orders to build it.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
hmmm now that the timmy is OOP and i have a few dano TODs lying around...  :lol:

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
haha ayos ah. ngayon ko lang nabasa to. :)

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
Like hell I would. It was just a flippin' tubescreamer. There wasn't much else to do with it. I took it home. I cut a custom box especially suited to stroke the cab builder's ego. It had a King Kong on the Empire State Building graphic and it said "Gomer Pyle Effects" on it. I put the same exact circuit board in it and I waited a week or two, called him up, made like I was tired from hours on end of "redesigning" efforts and he took delivery of it.

:lol: epic

Offline gradual nothing

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:38 AM »
like this so much.. :idea:
the avatar of the avante guarde

"you make the sound with your hands and you can fine-tune it with your gear"  --  ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
reminds me of a story in TGP where a guy bought a Digitech Bad Monkey, re-housed it, and brought it to a tone party. Everyone was amazed at the tone and kept asking what it was, and if he'd take orders to build it.

This ones funny! Hahaha mismo yung gumawa nun..all of them thought its a butik peds..hahaha inaiimagine ko mukha nila pag sinabing "eh hotaena niyo pala may magic tone magic tone pa kayong nalalaman eh bad monkey lang eto..april fools gunggungs" bwahahaah guitartroller at its bestl! Haha
AMMK!!!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
That's why I always check the guts of any new pedal that I get my hands on :) The Bogner Ecstasy Red has an interesting circuit, though. Dual PCB sya. It's not just one of those rebadged BSIAB/Sonic Titan/etc. pedals at the very least :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »

Class A trolling in there. Gold.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline pie-key

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
hmmm now that the timmy is OOP and i have a few dano TODs lying around...  :lol:

Can i have one please!!!! LOLs!!

Lot of people spend a lot in this pedal though...
References:
BossingBoss/Spudmusic/Xelly/Poundcake/Fonzy/Joel_marcelo/Micsis/Voidman/Free2rock/
'57 Strat/DIY OD/Strymon TL/Eventide MF/Hardwire SN/TCE Polytune Mini/Princeton Chorus

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »

The TIM is OOP. Paul still makes the Timmy AFAIK.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

Excellent idea, I have to say. :-D
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline sheepsmellslikeseashells

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:42 PM »
It had a King Kong on the Empire State Building graphic and it said "Gomer Pyle Effects" on it. :wink:

Quotable quotes:
I can hear the screws changed out of my speaker cabinet.
You need to bottle this sh*t and sell the piss out of it, son.
You need to get structure in your life.
What's that beeping noise mean?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:38:46 PM by sheepsmellslikeseashells »

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
Cool read indeed sir Nathan.  :)

Better trust the ears, rather than the hype, I guess. I still have my Dano TOD din. Kept it for 3 years, even Ive used a much expensive OD pedal in the past. I still go back to this one and it still sounds good to me.  :)

References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline pie-key

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:56 AM »
[qoute]Unfathomable magic.[/qoute]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:22:44 AM by pie-key »
References:
BossingBoss/Spudmusic/Xelly/Poundcake/Fonzy/Joel_marcelo/Micsis/Voidman/Free2rock/
'57 Strat/DIY OD/Strymon TL/Eventide MF/Hardwire SN/TCE Polytune Mini/Princeton Chorus