hulika

Author Topic: Any experience in using a compound radius fretboard?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline teleleng

Any experience in using a compound radius fretboard?
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
What's the overall feel, playability in strumming and in doing leads? Does it really make a big difference in the comfort of the hand and in the fingers? I used a 7.5 radius before and it sucked...My fingers got calloused and my hand painful after each session...Then I used the 9.5 and everything got better....Any theory on this?

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Any experience in using a compound radius fretboard?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
7.5 radius is known as the vintage radius, especially early fenders, I tried some of fender classics, pero naliitan at nanipisan sa neck feel. Mas mahirap tantsahin yung action niyan. 9.5radius is comfortable
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
The radius of my current Strat's neck is actually a straight 12". It has jumbo frets and the frets were levelled to have a compound radius so that the upper notes have a 16" radius. Allows for great bends. Doesn't choke out. Yun naman ang problema ng vintage necks eh.

But my Strat project with Mike Sison will sport a 9.5" radiused neck. :)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
What compound radius are you asking about, exactly?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
it doesnt "feel" any different sa regular neck. you'll just notice na di nagfre-fret out yung bends mo and you can set the strings a bit lower than you would with a regular vintage fender style radius.

so mararamdaman mo nga. labo ko talaga.

basta. its nothing night and day or technique altering or life changing. lalo na if you play with the guitar strapped with the strings up at about belt level (like you're supposed to) and you're not really straining your left hand with barre chords.

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
different experience for me.

i have a 9.5 radius fender and a 12-16 compound radius Charvel neck. I much prefer the latter. Very easy to play. Plus factor when you do gigs because your hands don't tire out.

a compound radius neck let's you play chords easily and solo smoothly.
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Also, your action will look a bit higher than it should.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline teleleng

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
different experience for me.

i have a 9.5 radius fender and a 12-16 compound radius Charvel neck. I much prefer the latter. Very easy to play. Plus factor when you do gigs because your hands don't tire out.

a compound radius neck let's you play chords easily and solo smoothly.

Thanks sir..This is the experience I want to try out cause at my present 9.5 strat, I think there is still something missing and this is the radius (12-16) I want to experience...

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
You're welcome sir. There's a different feel to it too depending on the back profile of the neck. The charvel i have has a different profile to the fender. If you like the fender neck profile which is modern C, get your hands on an American Deluxe and compare with an American Standard. The deluxe 2011 and up already has a compound radius. Then decide if it works for you.  :-D
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »
galing ako sa Ibanez necks na uniform at mas manipis. napansin ko na ang dali mangawit kamay ko sa ganon ka flat. tried fatter fender necks mas ok kaso na mimiss ko naman yung speed radius lalo na after 12th fret pag leads na.

kaya ang sagot ay compuond radius. i found greater comfort playing jackson and charvels. di na napapagod kamay ko ang dali pa mangigil sa strings at mag dig in kasi less chances of fretting out. mataba kasi siya near the neck but it gets thinner towards the body kaya medyo relax ang kamay. 

Offline teleleng

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
galing ako sa Ibanez necks na uniform at mas manipis. napansin ko na ang dali mangawit kamay ko sa ganon ka flat. tried fatter fender necks mas ok kaso na mimiss ko naman yung speed radius lalo na after 12th fret pag leads na.

kaya ang sagot ay compuond radius. i found greater comfort playing jackson and charvels. di na napapagod kamay ko ang dali pa mangigil sa strings at mag dig in kasi less chances of fretting out. mataba kasi siya near the neck but it gets thinner towards the body kaya medyo relax ang kamay.

Great..Now I will try to find one or better yet I will just let a luthier make a compound radius neck sa strat ko...Any suggestion of the radius measurement?

Offline teleleng

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
By the way, can our local luthier fabricate a compound radius neck? Or is this is a complicated process needing complicated machineries as those found in the USA? I think it will be a little bit hard to do cause the measurement for the entire neck would be different unlike a fixed radius...Any comment bros...

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
mahirap yata mag compound radius ng hand made. i dont know of any local luthiers who have done a compound radius neck.

Offline teleleng

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
mahirap yata mag compound radius ng hand made. i dont know of any local luthiers who have done a compound radius neck.

Yeah that's what I also thought sir...Even the warmoth website tells that compound radius neck is a bit complicated to fabricate...