hulika

Author Topic: HELP! Wiring an XLR male jack and 1/4" female jack together?  (Read 853 times)

Offline gunlak

• Philmusicus Addictus
HELP! Wiring an XLR male jack and 1/4" female jack together?
« on: December 27, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
hello everyone,

I have an acoustic guitar here with a preamp and an undersaddle pickup that I recently installed. One of those Fishman Presys packages. A 1/4" female jack was included in the package and what I did was I added jumper wires from the 1/4" female jack to the male XLR end (where I made a hole and installed on the guitar).

the 1/4" PL jack works fine, but according to the owner, the XLR doesn't work when an XLR cable is connected to an XLR input.. but when I tested it with an XLR to 1/4 adapter, it works fine like the 1/4" jack end.  Ano kaya problema?

I've tested na if I swap the hot and cold wire on the XLR, the adapter doesn't work anymore.

Any help would be great.
CLICK TO see baกิิิิิิat boys FB page!!!also check out my other band Skylines Forget

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: HELP! Wiring an XLR male jack and 1/4" female jack together?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
Got pics of the wiring?

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »
1/4" female jack positive to XLR pin2
               "          ground  to XLR ground/pin1/pin3
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
1/4" female jack positive to XLR pin2
               "          ground  to XLR ground/pin1/pin3

Agree.

However, the Fishman should be an active system, so it's most probably utilizing a stereo female jack. Ground to Pin1, Battery negative to Pin 3.

Offline gunlak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »
it's fine now.  had to borrow a di with an XLR input just to test it out... wala na kasi kaming old school na stereo na may XLR pa.

i just swapped the hot and cold leads dun sa XLR tabs. dami palang specific cables and configurations sa ganito.. TRS, TS, unbalanced, balanced etc. etc...

a thing to know, if napagbaligtad yung hot and cold lead sa XLR, gagana ang TS (mono) na cable sa XLR to PL adapter. pero pag tama yung wiring, kailangang TRS (stereo) yung cable.
CLICK TO see baกิิิิิิat boys FB page!!!also check out my other band Skylines Forget