hulika

Author Topic: Why is it easier to pick going up than going down?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Why is it easier to pick going up than going down?
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
Going up I mean from high E to low E. For example if I do triplet runs like this

8 7 5 -------------------
--------8 7 5------------
---------------- 8 7 5 --

I can do it at 220bpm or probably 240bpm but going the opposite direction I could barely do 200bpm without getting sloppy.

I don't see any change in angle of my picking hand at all. It doesn't make sense especially that I'm going against gravity when going up :-o

Anyone else notice this?
Melody over speed anytime!

Online ibbyboy02

Re: Why is it easier to pick going up than going down?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
Mas mabilis ako in the opposite direction. Siguro depende sa pinagprakisan na routine.
Practice lang ng practice!

Paradigm Shift

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
Just to clarify, are you picking each note or picking the first note on each string andpulling off the rest?

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »

:-D

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline tahty1910

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
Slow down..

Analyze what is happening at slow speed, what causes the problem during down picking.
It is much easier to see problem during slow speed.

picking hand position may not be consistent during down picking as against ascending picking.
or hand tension might start to build during down picking at high speed.

Those might be some factors to consider.

:wink: just an opinion

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
I can do better the opposite direction.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
The great Joey Puyat gave me a small but priceless tip. He said that if we've practiced doing the alternate picking chromatic exercise (e.g. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc.) over and over, we should also do so using all downstrokes or all upstrokes. That'll ensure that our picking strokes are more balanced in either direction.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
Downstrokes - Master of Puppets rhythm
Alternates - Most Megadeth Marty Solos.
Tremolo picking - EVH and Kirk Hammet solos

My favorite is Gambale's economy picking.  Took a while for me to learn but it made string skipping so much comfortable.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
Medyo OT lang po.

Ang isang problema ko when picking is that I use to pick strings that are not supposed to ring. Maybe my picking hand isn't yet that controlled since I'm left-handed. Anyway, here's my question, when you're picking, do you rest your palm over the bridge, or you just hang your palm above it?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
Medyo OT lang po.

Ang isang problema ko when picking is that I use to pick strings that are not supposed to ring. Maybe my picking hand isn't yet that controlled since I'm left-handed. Anyway, here's my question, when you're picking, do you rest your palm over the bridge, or you just hang your palm above it?

Use the classic hair tie.

Offline oist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »
Use the classic hair tie.

this helps. :D

BTT: Paul Gilbert's "Technical Difficulties" and "Fuzz Universe" helped me get a little more out of my picking. although i do not have as much picking prowess as Pablo, i can definitely say that i am better than what i was prior to studying these songs... picking-wise. di pa rin ako creative. HAHAHAHA

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
Just to clarify, are you picking each note or picking the first note on each string andpulling off the rest?

I pick all notes. I can't do legato at that speed. It would sound like a gallop instead of triplet :(

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
Slow down..

Analyze what is happening at slow speed, what causes the problem during down picking.
It is much easier to see problem during slow speed.

picking hand position may not be consistent during down picking as against ascending picking.
or hand tension might start to build during down picking at high speed.

Those might be some factors to consider.

:wink: just an opinion

I start slow at 140bpm everytime during practice and then do 20bpm increments until it sounds sloppy.

I think the problem is in my elbow. Looks like pulling the elbow is easier than extending it.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
Medyo OT lang po.

I mute with both hands. My right hand mutes the lower notes while my left pointy finger mutes the higher notes.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
The great Joey Puyat gave me a small but priceless tip. He said that if we've practiced doing the alternate picking chromatic exercise (e.g. 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc.) over and over, we should also do so using all downstrokes or all upstrokes. That'll ensure that our picking strokes are more balanced in either direction.

I do this as well but more of an exercise for economy picking.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
Another thing, do you guys pick with your wrist or with your fingers?

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
I recorded myself doing the triplets so you can see the problem :( Forward to 1:35 for 180bpm and higher

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
Try adjusting your strap to a comfortable height. Practice standing up. Could be factors.

Really if you could pick at that speed rate cleanly, accurately, and comfortably descending 16th notes, ascending should not be hard to practice and be comfy at all. Takes a lot of mastery to do those at that speed and konting practice na lang yan ascend.

What also helped me is doing lower note groupings kapag mahirap talaga. Instead of 16ths, I do 8th notes or one note per beat. If sixes are hard, I do threes. Then practice lang dun. It takes time pa rin to speed up but I get more control and comfort pa rin which is important for me.

Pero nanotice ko most problems sa picking can be solved through slowing down, having patience to work through it, and giving the right amount of time. Could take a long while to master some problem pero ayus lang yun own development mo naman yun.

I don't think there is any much reason as to why nahihirapan ka instead of the fact that you nee to practice it just some more.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:50:21 PM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
Medyo OT lang po.

You may rest it for additional muting purposes. But you should learn to use youse your fretting hand, the free fingers, the tip of your fretting fingers and the likes. Think paul gilbert, he does not use anything for muting, yet plays so clean. I think he has a lesson on youtube for muting other strings.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones