hulika

Author Topic: Overrated / Underrated Guitar players in YOUR book  (Read 1759 times)

Offline KennyKen

Overrated / Underrated Guitar players in YOUR book
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »
First off, this is just a matter of taste , and opinion...While We may never become as good as them, or probably nowhere near 10 percent as good but hey, they are recording musicians, we can say all we want since we listen to their craft  :lol: .For subjectivity's sake lang po, post your own list and why, I'm a 'Feel over Technique' kind of guy so no bashing, like ''I'd like to hear your work''  or ''Who the f**k are you to criticize them?'' and other B*S* like that...PEACE  :-D

OVERRATED :

Malmsteen - Don't get me wrong here, YJM is a true legend and innovator (excellent songwriter too!) and has spawned many copy-cats like EVH did, the problem is, he peaked too soon and never bothered to improve his style because of his pride and ego....I loved his work on Alcatraz and his first 2 albums..After that, he became terribly REPETITIVE...Never seen (or heard) a guitar player who over-uses his licks and phrasing like ICE-T saying N*gga in  every record

Kirk Hammett - This one needs no introduction, KH is a sloppy player live who overuses the Wah to conceal his inconsistensies and sloppiness onstage

Zakk Wylde - A more well rounded player than Kirk but he really doesn't offer that much apart from his Chicken-style  country picking and blazingly fast Pentatonic runs

Michael Angelo Batio - This dude can play fluent jazz, but he was so enamored by the Malmsteen technique he forgot that guitar playing is all about soul and feel

Vai - Never understood his music, ever... an excellent musician nontheless, but his BAD songs far outnumber his good ones, by a tremendous margin! He's a Guitar God from a  technical perspective, but I dunno if you can say the same with his melodic sense and whatnot

UNDERRATED :

Andy Timmons - Uncanny guitar player, His choice of notes is always spot on and well thought-of  and his timing is impeccable.

Vinnie Moore - Once labeled as a Malmsteen clone but by the time he released his 2nd and 3rd album, he actually can do so much more (and then some)....a very fluid  melodic player who uses difficult unconventional sweeps and triplets to incorporate with his groovy hard rock tunes.

Vito Bratta- He has  created (one of) Rock's most memorable guitar solos ever......Nobody sounded like him, the way he meshed the EVH technique with his melodic style was a thing to behold, too bad he retired early due to injury

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Overrated / Underrated Guitar players in YOUR book
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
My opinion does not say I know/play better than them but

Over-rated -
Yngwie- People hate malmsteen for the same reasons.
Page - Zeppelin's music was a huge influence for me but after learning music all I hear is rockstar bravado and lack lustred technique.
Al Di Meola - Yngwie's jazzier proponent
Orianthi - Not a sexist opinion,but I prefer the commander-in chief,nita strauss,and nikki stringfield;technique and tone wise, her cover of Hendrix' voodoo child was an abomination

Under-rated
Scott Henderson - One of the best jazz-fusion guitarist around but rarely on the spot light
Andy Aledort - check his record Tête à tête to know his not just GW's senior editor
Mark Tremonti - this guy can do some serious riffing
Shawn Lane - Maybe he died too soon but shawn's works are rarely heard among the newer generation of players that's why I think he really is under-rated, His guitar work deserves a better recognition
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
Re: Overrated / Underrated Guitar players in YOUR book
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
My own opinion lang naman mga sir's. Hindi ako magaling na gitarista. It also doesn't mean I hate them or like them. Its just what I think.

OVERRATED:

Yngwie Malmsteen - Ive heard rising force and others, have his guitar instruction video before but for me with all his tracks and styles are repetitive. Still one the Greats but yet again far too over rated

Slash - Slash is a very good guitar player don't get me wrong. For me lang he's too over rated. There are far more great players than him and deserves more credit

Steve Vai - He's a legend, he's seen in Crossroads, have influenced a lot of players. But yes over rated

Keith Richards - Over rated in terms of just being famous

U'2's - The Edge -  He's one of the greats and known for his percussive delay techniques and a huge array of effects pedals and racks. In terms of influence he's far too overated

UNDER RATED

Shawn Lane - Didn't get the credit he far more deserves '' Get you back and Gray Piano flying '' is one of the greatest guitar instrumentals IMO.

Andy James - a metal player with lots of techniques and his instrumentals are brutal yet with lots of melodic lines. He needs more attention.

Tom Quayle - a fusion player who has his signature style that needs recognition and a record album

Jack Thammarat - has lots of great tracks to listen too, very melodic and also needs a record album

Alex Hutchings - Massive technique with a lot of serious melodies

Chris Letchford ( Scale the Summit ) - great player, nice tapping licks and nice melodies too.

Stanley Jordan - A fusion jazz player with his two tapping guitar technique he needs to be credited for his remakes and instrumentals. Watch his version of ''stairway to heaven'' in youtube

Chuck loeb - a very accomplished jazz guitarist with nice licks, technical approach and nice rhythm too. Check his version of come together in studio jams

Honorable mentions: Alex Machacek, Andy Timmons, Andy Mckee, Joe Robinson, Tommy Emmanuel ( known in australia but not worldwide ) Martin Miller, Pete Thorn, Neil Zaza and many more to mention

References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more