hulika

Author Topic: Environmentalism and guitars  (Read 6253 times)

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Environmentalism and guitars
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
my luthier told me they get their supplies from a tree farm in india which exports ebony, mahogany, rosewood, ash, phoenix, basswood,maple, alder. however they also use local trees from china such as the gum tree, jujube and peach tree,

i dont think tree farms are that great since when you have trees you have and ecosystem which supports wildlife, take away the trees take away the ecosystem, then wildlife gone.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ano yung 'jujube'?

Jujube my number two
me and number one are through....

<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 11:32:35 AM »
Ano yung 'jujube'?

Jujube my number two

hahaha  :lol: :lol: :lol:,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube

he told me they glue the cut planks together,

Offline supernaut

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:40 PM »
Ano yung 'jujube'?

Jujube my number two

hahahaha.

I just bought a martin & co.: darco strings from RJ. ngayon ko lang nalaman tong string na to,binili ko kasi P199 na lang from P390. Anyway, sa likod nya nakasulat "Printed on Recyclable Material". Yun lang  :-)
PISINGYAMINUNAMUNAN....

Offline IncX

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

As much as i'd like to bring this awareness thru music and gigs, i dont think this is possible in my area because i think the ppl are following this already... and i think they are doing better "environmental protection" than the things stated.

They are not doing it for a cause though, but simply because of financial reasons. here are some:

*note: the side comments/sarcasm are just made in good humour, this is no way an offense to the thread starter or to ppl who are hard up financially, nevertheless... the things i stated are true*

1.) buying a used guitar AND THEN letting everyone borrow it in a gig

-OK, this is very environment friendly because not only is the guitar made from bad wood (which wouldnt be endangered anytime soon), but 3 other guitarist wouldnt even need to buy a guitar because of that. Its a bad habit for guitarists, but sure is environment friendly.

2.) not changing strings until they break.

-Doesnt matter if its color brown, if it works, then its good. so who needs those color coated strings now?

3.) Not supporting string companies that use wasteful packaging.

-Of course they use Mariposa's and Alice strings, and as a plus, they also change only the strings that break. sorry ernie ball, d'addario and dean markley... there is no way they will support nor buy packs of your strings- for financial reasons of course. And yes, bad guitarist habit, bad tone... but environment friendly.

4.) Not using amps pass 15 watts.

-Most of the time, its just a guitar thru the plywood walls (for added volume) or the listener just sticks their ears to the headstock. this ends with them having bad technique when plugged to a 20 watt amp .. just be happy they wont be plugging to a 100watt anytime soon.

5.) finding another hobby aside from guitar.

-they usually end up getting their GF's pregnant and their hobby becomes "wage hunting" ... now this time, its not environment friendly. more babies = more diapers = more resources = more pollution. maybe sticking to guitar isnt so bad after all?

-*-

kidding aside... i really think this sentiment is better voiced to another country that are large consumers of electric guitars, electricity and strings... i have only seen and touched a total of 4 or 5 gibsons in my life, so im thinking their '3,000 units a month' sale isnt happening in the philippines nor would it occur anytime soon.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
As much as i'd like to bring this awareness thru music and gigs, i dont think this is possible in my area because i think the ppl are following this already... and i think they are doing better "environmental protection" than the things stated.

They are not doing it for a cause though, but simply because of financial reasons. here are some:

*note: the side comments/sarcasm are just made in good humour, this is no way an offense to the thread starter or to ppl who are hard up financially, nevertheless... the things i stated are true*

1.) buying a used guitar AND THEN letting everyone borrow it in a gig

-OK, this is very environment friendly because not only is the guitar made from bad wood (which wouldnt be endangered anytime soon), but 3 other guitarist wouldnt even need to buy a guitar because of that. Its a bad habit for guitarists, but sure is environment friendly.

2.) not changing strings until they break.

-Doesnt matter if its color brown, if it works, then its good. so who needs those color coated strings now?

3.) Not supporting string companies that use wasteful packaging.

-Of course they use Mariposa's and Alice strings, and as a plus, they also change only the strings that break. sorry ernie ball, d'addario and dean markley... there is no way they will support nor buy packs of your strings- for financial reasons of course. And yes, bad guitarist habit, bad tone... but environment friendly.

4.) Not using amps pass 15 watts.

-Most of the time, its just a guitar thru the plywood walls (for added volume) or the listener just sticks their ears to the headstock. this ends with them having bad technique when plugged to a 20 watt amp .. just be happy they wont be plugging to a 100watt anytime soon.

5.) finding another hobby aside from guitar.

-they usually end up getting their GF's pregnant and their hobby becomes "wage hunting" ... now this time, its not environment friendly. more babies = more diapers = more resources = more pollution. maybe sticking to guitar isnt so bad after all?

-*-

kidding aside... i really think this sentiment is better voiced to another country that are large consumers of electric guitars, electricity and strings... i have only seen and touched a total of 4 or 5 gibsons in my life, so im thinking their '3,000 units a month' sale isnt happening in the philippines nor would it occur anytime soon.

+100 ako sa post na 'to. This time, kampi ako sa 'yo, IncX.  :-)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
good discussion
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium