hulika

Author Topic: The Gear Placebo Effect  (Read 10012 times)

Offline kym005

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Gear Placebo Effect
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »
Naniniwala ako rito! Especially kung isang newbie (na may alam sa brand names) ang makakarinig.

Example, 2 guitars. 1 Raon strat, 1 Fender custom. Same aesthetics (itsura lang), yung raon ay may fake na hardware, bridge, pickups, etc. na kamukhang kamukha ng nasa FCS (at least for a noob na hindi makikita ang difference sa itsura).

Pagpalitin ng decals. Si FCS ay lagyan ng "Lumanog" at si Raon ay lalagyan ng "Fender".
Mark 11:24

For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Offline Eivar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
Gear Placebo Effect is the cure for Gear Acquisition Syndrome hehehe!

GAS =\= GPE
makunteto ka sa abot kaya mo, 20% sa gamit, 80% sa gumagamit
strange looking guitar collection  http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,80255.0.html

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »
Sometimes, I can relate to the placebo thing. I bought an epiphone Les Paul guitar which is the most expensive I guitar I have on the rack but I play more with my Strat more kahit na it's just Fernando. I was brought up with the hype of the beautiful maple top, sexy body contour and cutaways of the Les paul and the way how I look on the stage. It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad sounding but, to my ears and feel, I prefer the strat body type better. Na placebo effect ako since the les paul was my first guitar which I bought using my own money.

Same with my experience with A/B'ing Suhr riot, MV Shredhead and Joyo US dream. I don't want to feel the point of buying the expensive boutique one cause to my ears, the difference is just subtle. To me, parang yung placebo effect is more or less synonymous sa "pagsisisi". Buying something you'll later regret cause there's something out there would par or is better which is less expensive that what you have. Just my 0.02.  :)
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »
I think its all about experience. Honestly, some people would say a great sounding guitar sound like crap but the truth is they don't know what that guitars made for. I think its common experience that a hum bucker player will pick up a tele and say .. why the hell does this sound like this.. its so thin twangy etc etc.. but they don't know what its for. They insist on using a guitar with awesome attack and expressiveness for metal! They're like tools.. it takes an experienced musician to know what sounds good for what.

Guilty of this. Bumili ako ng used Prestige last May yata and I initially liked how it played. Prestige kasi eh, MIJ kaya maayos naman talaga yung craftsmanship. Then over time, I found myself going back to my stock SA260FM which is dirt cheap in comparison to the Prestige (let go of my PRS SE Singlecut + cash). A little tweaking here and there, and I'm surprised at how the good guitar sounds through my rig, especially the bridge pickup. And by itself, it sounds much more alive than the basswood Prestige when played unplugged. I've heard that RGs are supposed to sound good through high gain for metal and shred though-- too bad I play neither.

Because of this, I really tried to like the Prestige over the past couple of months but I just couldn't seeing as how my style doesn't call for whammy bar stunts and an anorexic D-shape 24-fret neck. And setting up the double-locking tremolo system is really such a chore. So ironically, I'm keeping the dirt cheap MIC stock SA260FM over the MIJ Prestige and just using the money I get from that to fund my own custom Superstrat once and for all.

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2013, 04:12:20 AM »
Guilty of this. Bumili ako ng used Prestige last May yata and I initially liked how it played. Prestige kasi eh, MIJ kaya maayos naman talaga yung craftsmanship. Then over time, I found myself going back to my stock SA260FM which is dirt cheap in comparison to the Prestige (let go of my PRS SE Singlecut + cash). A little tweaking here and there, and I'm surprised at how the good guitar sounds through my rig, especially the bridge pickup. And by itself, it sounds much more alive than the basswood Prestige when played unplugged. I've heard that RGs are supposed to sound good through high gain for metal and shred though-- too bad I play neither.

Because of this, I really tried to like the Prestige over the past couple of months but I just couldn't seeing as how my style doesn't call for whammy bar stunts and an anorexic D-shape 24-fret neck. And setting up the double-locking tremolo system is really such a chore. So ironically, I'm keeping the dirt cheap MIC stock SA260FM over the MIJ Prestige and just using the money I get from that to fund my own custom Superstrat once and for all.

:) bro, slight OT, musta yung red strat ng brother mo? maybe you wanna spruce that up and see what we could do with it. who knows.

Offline kym005

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
OT:

Kung may Gear placebo effect, meron din bang "Guitarist Placebo Effect"?

Maganda ang tone kasi sikat?  :-)
Mark 11:24

For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
OT:

Siguro. Kaya maraming bumibili ng Ibanez kasi gusto nila makuha yung tone ni Vai, Satriani, PG, etc... because they're freakin' Vai, Satriani, PG, etc. :lol: Mas maganda pa rin ang tone ni Andy Timmons kesa sa kanila, IMO.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
dont go pulling the trigger on something you read over the internet...if possible, try to check out actual product first, first hand..amazing how hype can sustain a lot of products
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline IncX

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
OT:

HAHAHAHAHA! so true.

i can listen to a lot of 90's bands, and i realized, most, if not all of their guitar sound, are terrible! as with the song writing.

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »

yortots? ???

Offline cfrancisco

• Netizen Level
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:27 AM »
you guys should combine this with all the threads you have on "hiyaw"

:-D

extreme case of placebo....  :lol: