hulika

Author Topic: Vocal Exciter using the Dolby A-Type Trick  (Read 1452 times)

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
Vocal Exciter using the Dolby A-Type Trick
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Has anyone here tried this trick on vocal tracks .
This is sending the vocal tracks to an old DOLBY A-Type Noise  Reduction unit.

The trick is the DOLBY actually expands the top end of the vocal tracks giving air specially on the soft parts of the vocals yet it doesnt make the loud parts annoyingly brittle. Works best when you want to "undigitalize" your vocal tracks. Unfortunately the dolby trick employs a dolby hardware.

I consider myself lucky to acquire a DOLBY A-Type Model 361 rack unit with CAT-22 module free which came from some other old units I purchased. The seller says nobody actually really wants the unit. I checked on ebay and realized this unit is rare hot item and even sells expensively since it not in production anymore.

As I researched on the internet most of those who use this trick modified their CAT-22 module by making it bypass the lo and lo mid compression so that only the top end will be affected. What I actually did was to send a bus where I already filtered the lo and lo mids so that only the highs are sent to the dolby rack.

I just wondered has anyone here tried this trick? Im wondering if there are other tricks that uses old equipments. Its sad to see those formerly expensive rack equipment laying on the stock room literally rooting to death.