hulika

Author Topic: Tascam FW 1082 and Novation Remote SL issues  (Read 1123 times)

Offline kamada

• Netizen Level
Tascam FW 1082 and Novation Remote SL issues
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:43:21 AM »
Total newbie question po.  :|

I have the Tascam FW 1082, but I need a nice midi controller keyboard for midi input. and since I am still a daft newb, I have no idea if the Novation Remote 37 SL and the Tascam FW 1082 can work together in the same sequencer simultaneously. I hope to work on Cubase, Live and Reason in the future with these two concurrently working together. If the Remote was a simple midi keyboard I wouldn't have any doubts on compatibility, but the Remote has an automap function which means it might automatically overide the Tascam, which is my main preamp and Audio interface. Both are midi controlllers with midi in, thru and out, but one uses firewire as an input and the other usb, so I don't think I can use the midi thru. besides, I may be wrong, but won't making the Remote a slave defeat its automapping? Automapping is the primary reason I want the Remote. Should I just stick instead with a simple midi keyboard?

Any thoughts on the matter will be much appreciated. ciao!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Tascam FW 1082 and Novation Remote SL issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »
You should be able to use both simultaneously. Either interface will be assign it's own midi port, regardless of where it's connected to. You should see something like "Novation USB Midi" and "Tascam Midi" (not having either, I'm not really sure what names will show up) among your midi I/O.

In your DAW, it's usually in omni mode, meaning, it will respond to any midi input. You can have multiple controllers going into one track and the target device that the track is driving should be able to respond accordingly, except if you flood it with too much data. Usually, though, a stuck note should be the most you should worry about. I doubt you'll be using both the Novation and Tascam to send midi simultanously.

I wouldn't worry that much really. My setup has a total of 7 hardware midi I/O of which 5 are used (4 of the 7 are usb midi interfaces). I haven't had any problems so far.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kamada

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 01:31:05 AM »
ok sir kitc, got it! if you say walang issues then i'll be ordering the novation remote na nga. oo nga, may different midi channels nga naman (stupid me!) And may I say wow! I can't imagine being able to use 5 midi devices simultaneously! hardcore! I would like to see you play live one time sir kitc!   :mrgreen:

btw sir kitc, OT, are you dropping by the mike pedero workshop?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:02:33 AM »
btw sir kitc, OT, are you dropping by the mike pedero workshop?

Yes, I plan to... not sure if on sat or sun, though. We'll see...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire