hulika

Author Topic: fruity loops and adobe audition question  (Read 2192 times)

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
fruity loops and adobe audition question
« on: December 02, 2006, 06:47:45 PM »
ei! im using fruity loops to create my beats for my song. since fruity loops is a midi exporter of sounds, i make my beats realistic as possible. so this is what i do.  some volume and panning changes from the program then export to mp3. but before exporting, this what i do

1) mute cymbals, snare and tom and leave the bass drum open.
2) export to mp3
3) mute cymbals and bass leaving the snare and toms open
4) export to mp3
5) mute bass, snare and toms leaving cymbals open
6) export to mp3

therefore, i have 3 tracks; 1 is the bass drum, 2 is the snare and toms and 3 is the cymbals
then import these three files to adobe audition.
now this is the hard part. making the drums realistic as possible by puting reverbs.
my technique is to put different reverb in each track.

now my question:

a) if you are using adobe audition and using this technique also, what reverb do you use?

b) if your using neither of the two programs i mentioned, what do i do to make my drums be more real.

Offline nongx

Re: fruity loops and adobe audition question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:22 PM »
its not possible to make real drum sound if your using midi file
what im doing is used real drum hits , snare , tom, bdrum etch... as wav or aiff file
and import to fruityloops.

in fruityloops you can arange the whole drum track panning reverb etc. each track
then export as aiff or wav, then you can drop it to adobe audition..

regards.
nongx

Offline nichteque

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:25 PM »
start off muna by looking for real good samples for realistic drums. marami links dito sa site na ito. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37272

sa fruity loops ginagawa ko chong parehas din, kapag kelangan ko ng separate tracks ineexport ko nalang, then papasok ko ulit sha as an audio clip sa fruity loops tapos dun ko narin lalagyan ng reverb, etc. pwede mo kasi ilink yung audio clip sa mixer track tapos from there pwede mo na kalikutin.

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
ei! im using fruity loops to create my beats for my song. since fruity loops is a midi exporter of sounds, i make my beats realistic as possible. so this is what i do.  some volume and panning changes from the program then export to mp3. but before exporting, this what i do

1) mute cymbals, snare and tom and leave the bass drum open.
2) export to mp3
3) mute cymbals and bass leaving the snare and toms open
4) export to mp3
5) mute bass, snare and toms leaving cymbals open
6) export to mp3

therefore, i have 3 tracks; 1 is the bass drum, 2 is the snare and toms and 3 is the cymbals
then import these three files to adobe audition.
now this is the hard part. making the drums realistic as possible by puting reverbs.
my technique is to put different reverb in each track.

now my question:

a) if you are using adobe audition and using this technique also, what reverb do you use?

b) if your using neither of the two programs i mentioned, what do i do to make my drums be more real.

i think theres an easy way to make realistic drum sounds: first off, download good samples. the suggested link on the earlier post has tons of links to free acoustic/organic drum sounds. 2nd, you could try to add reverb on FL already. panning and everything can be done in FL itself, therefore smoothening out your work flow. if you need another reverb there are tons of free VST reverbs at kvraudio.com, check their forums.

hope this helps

Offline music_doctor

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:25:55 AM »
Wanna have realistic programmed/sequenced drum sounds? ...hmmn... having a good sample of drum hits would be fine, but REMEMBER... IN REAL LIFE situations, a  snare wouldn't sound the same everytime you strike it in the whole 4-minute duration of a song. Many people don't know this and some forget this reality. IF you have just ONE sample of each drum sound for the whole duration of the song, it will surely sound mechanical, or likely to have come out of a drum machine. It is NOT enough that you only consider velocity or volume change for every hit/strike of a drum sound. Pls consider also the slight or even radical change in timbre/color. To sum this all up... try to have at least 2 samples for the Kick, 3 or 4 for the Snare, 2 each for the HH. OH & FH, and 2 for each of the Toms.
...Happy Sequencing!   :-D
Know the rules before you break them.

Offline pao2pao16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
thanks sa mga tulong!

and for the one who gave me the link. and dami!! hndi ako makapili.. tska ung ibang site hndi gumagana.  just wana ask kung san dito ung lagi mong gngamit na link??

www.pedallion.com music online store philippines
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:01:18 PM by pao2pao16 »

Offline nichteque

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:25:24 AM »
check out mo yung ns_kit at yung manytone...pero marami padin akong hindi nachecheck-out diyan chong. hehe hanap ka nalang din. shempre, pagdownload ko medyo itweatweak ko pa yung sample, imomodify ko pa to suit my track well (eg., lalagyan ng reverb, filter, eq, etc.) depende sayo yan chong. mas maganda kung individual mo silang lalagyan ng fx sa fruity; pero depende rin kung mas trip mo sila pagtripan sa audition :)

ganun ang ginagawa ko...i take one basic sample of a snare and tweak it...sometimes i end up with three different variations. maganda kung sa isang sample ka magsisimula kasi at least kahit anong gawin mo dun sa sample eh andun parin yung basic na tunog niya...parang sa real life, kahit anong palo mo sa snare eh may magbabago sa timbre etc., pero andun parin yung pinaka tunog nung snare. pero ngayon di na mashado kasi sa house eh hindi naman kelangang mashado realistic. sana nakatulong chong :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 01:00:45 PM »
I know that sample tweaking and having multiple samples of the same instrument can sound daunting, to say the least, but usually, some drumkits in some modules or samplesets already have velocity layers built in. This means that the sample changes as you strike harder or softer. So, in order for a drum track to sound less static, vary the velocity over the length of the loop. Make the loop long, something like 8 or 16, even 32 bars, making sure the velocity changes for every hit along the length of the loop.

Listen to most drum tracks. The further you go into the song, usually more elements are added into a kit. The drums usually start out simple and get progressively more complicated. It's an "ebb/flow" thing when it comes to complicating and "de-complicating" a drum track. Also remember that fills are part of the transition from verse to chorus.

Other secrets? Ghost notes, flamming, silent sections (aka "breaks"), and my favorite, strategically placed "mistakes" - makes a drum track come alive.

Common processing mistakes? Assigning all elements to the same reverb. Usually the kick isn't reverbed and if ever, you eq out the lows so that the low frequencies don't overwhelm the mix. I usually try to simulate a 4 mike setup by having a kick track, snare track, then everything else goes into the 'overheads'. There are other, more esoteric processes to make a drum track clear and cohesive. This can be discussed at a later time.

hth,
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline nichteque

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 04:13:28 PM »
one more thing...nilalagyan ko ng automation yung tempo :) sa totoong buhay eh nagbabago naman ang tempo ng mga drummer as they play, pero sobrang konti lang. halimbawa, the track starts at 140bpm, may part na magiging 141, 142, 139...of course kelangan strategic din ang pagplace at gradual dapat para hindi pangit ang kalabasan. halimbawa, pag sa mga fills at drum rolls, dun kadalasan nagbabago yung tempo nung kanta, so babaguhin mo dun, then babalik sha gradually dun sa original tempo. diskartehan mo nalang :)