hulika

Author Topic: Fender Pawn Shop Series Greta Amplifier  (Read 6059 times)

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Fender Pawn Shop Series Greta Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »
This is already available at Yupangco.  P11,000++.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
Nice! Will definitely check it out. I think it's a nice scalable amp.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
may nakasubok na?

Offline xky

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21:35 AM »
not yet on display, maybe by next week. at the Yupangco Main Showroom  8-)
the famous unknown.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
not yet on display, maybe by next week. at the Yupangco Main Showroom  8-)

Nice!  Thanks, Ky!  :-D

Offline kfk@666

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
open ba yupangco main branch pag saturday?

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
open ba yupangco main branch pag saturday?

Yep!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
Fender Greta short review

I got a Greta last week to match my highway one for mostly home use. So far, it appears to be a good investment. Here are my initial feedbacks:

1.   The sound coming from the 4” speaker improves after break-in. The suggestion from some forums is to play through an ipod for at least 20 hours. I have played mine for more than 10 hours and the sound seems to improve though you have to remember the physical limits of a 4” speaker.

2.   Forum posts suggest the replacement of the stock Chinese tubes, specifically changing the 12AX7 preamp tube (100% gain) to a 5751 (70% gain) to increase the clean headroom. They also suggest replacing the 12AT7 output tube with a better brand. I still have no luck finding replacement tubes locally.

3.   Notwithstanding the speaker and tubes, the build quality appears to be good, based on analysis from various forums. It even uses a choke for better filtering. It is a real tube amp that can be modded by simply changing tubes!

4.   It is a touch sensitive amp. A guitarist used to maxing the guitar knobs and adjusting the amp’s settings will have problems taming this. It is not for guitarists who cannot control their picking. As suggested, I dial my desired setting on the amp, and then adjust the guitar knobs until I get a clean sound, bordering on distortion, with light picking. With this, you can easily go from clean to dirt without changing the knobs from either amp or guitar. All you need to adjust is your picking style. Of course, you can still get a dirty tone by adjusting the guitar volume knob. Imagine playing a song with clean stanzas then jumping to distortion territory during refrains without stepping on a pedal. I enjoy this when jamming at home!

5.   The auxiliary input is the bonus here. I expected a crappy sound when plugging an ipod through it. I was wrong. It is a good ipod mono speaker. So good that guitar licks sound realistic. Do not expect a full range sound though since this is still a 4” speaker. Since it looks like an old school radio than an amp, my wife lets me place it on the living room’s small center table where I place my laptop. I can then jam with downloaded backing tracks just by plugging my tele. The tweed hard case looks nice under the small table and I have a power outlet beside it. This makes setting up and cleanup for quick jams quite easy.

6.   I do not have a speaker cabinet so I cannot comment on the alleged improvement. However, plugging the Greta’s line out to a powered speaker significantly increases the clean volume while retaining the touch sensitive characteristics. I feel like I have a bigger and more expensive tube amp while doing this. I love the clean tone on this setup!

I'm going to try this as a tube preamp for my acoustic guitar next time. The behringer tube preamp was good and I expect this to be better. Overall, I am beginning to love this amp  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:49:49 PM by royc »

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
Spankyrigor (Spudmusic) used to have 5751s. Try checking with him if they are still available. Good luck!   :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
Spankyrigor (Spudmusic) used to have 5751s. Try checking with him if they are still available. Good luck!   :)

Thanks!!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »
Got some NOS tubes from yeyeh and replaced the following chinese tubes:

12AX7 (100% gain) to RCA 5751 (60% gain)
12AT7 to GE 12AT7

Result: much better tone and higher clean headroom!

Next upgrade: external 1x12 speaker cab :-)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
This is how the greta sounds like on cleans after the tubes upgrade..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7w4adLuK0&feature
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:30:32 AM by royc »

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
I picked up one recently and has been having so much fun with it. I'm playing it through a Scumback M75-loaded 1X12 cab and it could still get a bit too loud for a bedroom amp. I really like its having an Aux line in for mp3 player. Parang lagi akong may ka-jam na rockstars.  :)

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Wish I have a cab! That's my next gas. Yes, aux in is really nice coz you can jam anytime. Nagpalit ka ng tubes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Finally got a cab with eminence rwb! The 101 dB speaker sensitivity made it really loud that you won't think it is only 2 watts. Not chest thumping lows as my old blues junior but loud enough so I don't see the need to connect to the powered speaker when jamming at home anymore.

Saan kaya nakakabili locally ng red tolex?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:31:52 PM by royc »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Anyone tried changing the stock speaker to a locally available one? I have an unused dai ichi speaker that I tried using earlier, but it was too deep to fit the limited space. I sold my 1x12 cab coz I prefer playing on the sofa with the greta permanently on the small table.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:45:49 PM by royc »

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
I'm thinking of changing the internal speaker as well. I already tried breaking it in by playing an iPod through it for 24 hours, still sounded harsh. It has 5751/12AT7 tubes and sounds great through the 1X12 cab but it would be a great addition if I could get a nice tone from it on its own. Not really expecting a lot given the limitations of a 4" speaker but the stock is really, really cheaply made. The magnet is very small and only gives 3 watts max. I found a drop in replacement ( http://www.parts-express.com/visaton-r10s-4-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--292-596?AID=1457483&PID=5426866&SID=skim19937X773002X2d6152003391c1bb1d2f83cb009a492a ) that looks promising. It has a larger and heavier magnet and has 20 watts so it shouldn't break up right away. Might worth a try.
Also, I already did some aesthetic modification by replacing the 'plastic fantastic' gold logo and bullet knobs with engraved brass plate logo and cream knobs. Kinda gave that 'Burris Amp' vibe.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
Interested in knowing the result after the speaker replacement. Yes, the stock speaker has a very small magnet.

Do you consider adding a handle? I'm tempted to add one, but is hesitant to drill holes on top.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
Will do. No handle here. I place my slide holder on top of the amp.

Offline starkiller

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
hi guys.  i don't have a greta, but i've been researching a lot on small amp mods. plus i have some experience in speaker design.

consider that guitar speakers are designed not to be full range.  they are usually bandwidth limited to ~3-5khz. what does this mean to you?

chances are the speaker in the greta is full range. the same thing goes for that dai-ichi driver. its very rare to find dedicated 4-inch guitar speaker drivers.  even those 4-inch hifi mid range drivers have extended frequency response. this is why the treble is harsh (especially on some distortion) no amount of tube rolling or break-in will change that. swapping-in a "better" full range driver is not a good idea either.

with the stock speaker you will have much better success in improving its sound by implementing a passive low-pass filter with a 3-5khz cut-off at 8 ohms.  sounds complicated, but in its simplest form (first order crossover) its just 1 resistor in series with the speaker.  but it looks like a second order crossover's slope (steeper curve) is more appropriate.  its a very cheap and effective tweak.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:04:21 PM by starkiller »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:14:31 AM »
Thanks for that very informative post, starkiller. Wish I have the technical skill to pull out that mod, sounds like rocket science to me.

Anyway royc, I read in the Greta thread in TDPRI that a member tried the speaker that I was thinking of getting. He said it sounded harsher at higher volume. Great timing, saved me $17.  :-D

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »
I guess we have to make do with the stock speaker for now. It is actually usable for me, as an external powered speaker for my laptop and quick jams with a backing track. However, I can't help wondering if the speaker can still be improved, knowing that the stock is not the best. I might end up getting a 1x8 cab that I can slip under the small table and pull out when needed.