hulika

Author Topic: Do you consider the use of string dampeners as "cheating"?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline chernandez1

Re: Do you consider the use of string dampeners as "cheating"?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 04:39:52 AM »
I guess this is not cheating. But I'd rather not use it and learn the hard way. If other people can shred clean without it, I should be able to. But hey, to each his own.
If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline electromark

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
String dampeners (IMO) is essentially the same as using a capo ,a filed guitar pick, ultra-light gauge strings  (8's) or a super-low action guitar....pag nasanay ka na, it's really hard to go back...it's not cheating by any means....huwag ka lang maging dependent dito to the point na you can't play without it

+1

for me its just a tool to eliminate unwanted noise of strings while playing fast licks.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:29 PM »
So bassplayers *cheat* as well.  Even Wooten and Buddha Dickens use ropes or hair ties to mute strings.

Offline BFMVGitarista

• Netizen Level
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
Hi guys, I just wanna say that string muters (or hairbands in my case) are awesome! Open strings are still playable if the muter is not set too tight, albeit lacking sustain. But hey, who needs sustain when playing 32nd notes? Looks like this will be the death of my muting technique. Jk :) Anyway, thanks for convincing me to use them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:33:51 PM by BFMVGitarista »

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:19 AM »
Hi guys, I just wanna say that string muters (or hairbands in my case) are awesome! Open strings are still playable if the muter is not set too tight, albeit lacking sustain. But hey, who needs sustain when playing 32nd notes? Looks like this will be the death of my muting technique. Jk :) Anyway, thanks for convincing me to use them.
naku cheating yan sir
haha enjoy